The CookingBites recipe challenge: gelatine (or plant based alternative)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:58 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is gelatine (or plant based alternative) and TastyReuben is judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* using gelatine or a plant based alternative**, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Entries exceeding the limit will be disqualified.

Extended Deadline: midday UK time (GMT) Wednesday 2nd March. Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.
** common plant based alternatives are agar agar and carrageen. There are also brand name products such as Dr Oetker vege-gel.

Last edited:
Its really quite a 'chefy' ingredient. A good panna cotta is a fine thing indeed.

I am having fun with the featured thread image which is not 'fine dining' at all. That is the great thing about using setting agents. They are transformational things and can be used in so many different ways.

In our house, Jell-O® of any flavor and some sort of fruit suspended in it as a regular dessert ... what really makes it is being topped with a generous amount of Reddi-Wip®
IMG_5830.JPG

(file photo)

Lime Jell-O® with canned chunk Pineapple and Reddi-Wip® :hyper:

Here ya go ...

This one popped into my head straight off.
I know this may sound simplistic, but I had no idea how to do this until recently, really.

Stabalized Whipped Cream

I've made this recipe now several times and it's always great.
IMG_1224.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
In our house, Jell-O® of any flavor and some sort of fruit suspended in it as a regular dessert ... what really makes it is being topped with a generous amount of Reddi-Wip®
View attachment 80487
(file photo)

Lime Jell-O® with canned chunk Pineapple and Reddi-Wip® :hyper:
This photo makes me think of a fairy, like Tinkerbell 🧚‍♀️

You know…jello made with vodka, and poured into little shot-sized plastic cups.
Yeah, I was suggesting someone make them. No one else mentioned them, I wasn't asking what they were

We always used 151 or grain alcohol in ours. Any white liquor will do.

Last edited:
We used Everclear and Jello for Jello shots. Even then, Jello shots are not that potent. They are just fun at parties.

CD
I don’t do them in shot form, but I do make the occasional jellied cocktail, especially during picnic season. I’ve done a jellied Pimm’s cup and a jellied whiskey sour before.

Back
Top Bottom