The CookingBites recipe challenge: ham

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:39 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is ham* and caseydog is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** which uses ham, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Tuesday 10th January 2023 UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* or vegan/vegetarian substitute
** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Beef Wellington - (I'll check later to see if I've previously posted the recipe but until then):

Last edited:
Beef Wellington - (I'll check later to see if I've previously posted the recipe but until then):

I've checked and I have posted that Beef Wellington recipe before so I'll think of something else.

I’m sure I can come up with something. I think I’ve already posted a Midwestern specialty, ham loaf, though.

Haha, I didn’t post a ham loaf recipe, so I’m likely going to do that, for a start.

Thought I'd mention that ham could be any sort of ham. So, Italian, Spanish style cured and thin cut ham is on my radar. I'm talking prosciutto, serrano and the like. There are so many things one can do with them...

Oh, and is Spam counted as ham, caseydog?

I posted this recipe last December: Pan de Jamón ( Venezuelan Ham Bread)
However, since the recipe has already been posted (not in a competition) I can´t use it, right?
Never mind - can I leave it here as a stimulus??
Good - the judges said yes, so here´s a video of my mate Juan Carlos making ham bread. I met him about 20 years ago, when I was just starting in the chutney biz and he was just starting in the bread biz. Anytime this bloke makes bread - it´s phenomenal. Doesn´t matter if you don´t speak Spanish, because the technique is what´s important. You can clearly see how the bread is constructed and the recipe will give you the ingredients.

Last edited:
I posted this recipe last December: Pan de Jamón ( Venezuelan Ham Bread)
However, since the recipe has already been posted (not in a competition) I can´t use it, right?
Never mind - can I leave it here as a stimulus??
Now that looks good. I’ve had something like it which may very well have been Venezuelan but I’m not 100% sure. So until then I am I’m going to say I’ve never tried this and it look delicious:)

Back
Top Bottom