The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Peppers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:08 AM
Congratulations go to @The Late Night Gourmet who won the ingredient challenge "Sausages" with a recipe for Scotch Quail Eggs with Mustard Sauce and has chosen peppers (any sort including chillies and peppercorns) as the next challenge ingredient. The deadline for entries is Friday 15th Sept 2017 at midday (GMT+1).

SantaFeChili.jpg

A Reminder of the "Rules"
(revised May 2017)
  • You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge. :o_o:
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.

upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46-png.png
  • The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame... :scratchhead:
  • And finally, as always, in the event of a dispute the site owner has the final say.:cool:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List of previous winners, winning recipe and the challenge ingredient they chose.

All of the winning recipes can be found here, under the tag "CB Challenge Winning Recipes".

@The Late Night Gourmet who won the ingredient challenge "Sausages" with his recipe for Scotch Quail Eggs with Mustard Sauce chose peppers (any sort including chillies and peppercorns).
@
epicuric who won the ingredient challenge "Vinegar" with a recipe for Bourbon Sauce and chose sausages (including vegetarian/vegan).
@Yorky who won the ingredient challenge "Garden Peas" with his recipe for Aloo Matar and chose vinegar (any)
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who with her recipes for Chocolate Cashew nut cream, Bitter Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and Sweet Chocolate Pasta (Pasta di Cacao) and has chose garden peas
@Kake Lover who won with a recipe for Apple and lemon nut crumble and chose Chocolate
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Wild Mushroom Pudding and chose Lemons (any part of a fresh (natural and unprocessed) lemon)
@Ken Natton who won with a recipe for Pork and Black Pudding Patty on a Chive Potato Cake with Mustard Sauce and chose Mushrooms
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Saffron Semolina with Berries and chose Potatoes (any type including sweet potatoes)
@Elawin who won with a recipe for Cauliflower, Courgette [Zucchini] and Leek Lasagne and chose Semolina
@alexander who won with a recipe for Chicken roasted with artichokes and mushrooms and chose Cauliflower
@MypinchofItaly who won with a recipe for My risotto with spinach and taleggio cheese and chose Globe Artichokes
@jennyb who won with a recipe for Oat Cakes and chose Spinach
@Kake Lover who won with recipes for Cauliflower cheese soufflé and Cheese and Onion Pie and chose Oats
@MrsDangermouse who won with a recipe for Rhubarb Eton Mess and chose Cheese (including vegan cheese).
@classic33 who won with the recipe for Marmite Noodle Soup and its Variations.and chose Rhubarb
@Kake Lover who won with the recipe for Bubble and Squeak and chose Marmite, or an equivalent yeast extract.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with the recipe for Tempeh, Leek and Mushroom Pie and chose Brussels Sprouts
@Cinisajoy who won with the recipe Cindy's Take on Jambalaya and chose Turkey/Chicken/Cornish Game Hen (Poussin) or any vegetarian alternative such as Tofu/Tempeh/Quorn
@Yorky who won with a recipe for Duck Egg Sambal and chose Prawns/Shrimp/Crayfish
@morning glory who won with a recipe for Self Devouring Salad
and chose Eggs (any type)
@Caribbean girl who won a recipe for Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia and chose Sweetcorn (any form).
@Smokeydoke who won with a recipe for a Light Apricot Cake and chose Ginger (any form).
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Guinness, Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew and chose Apricots (any form).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Creamy Courgette Soup and chose rice.
@winterybella who won with a recipe for Caramelised Onion, Bacon and Spinach Pizza and chose Courgettes (Zucchini)
@classic33 who won with a recipe for Orange Drizzle Loaf Cake and chose Bulb Onions.
@Caribbean girl who won with a recipe for Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies and chose Oranges
@SatNavSaysStraightOn who won with a recipe for Roasted Garlic, Parsnip and White Bean Soup and chose Cinnamon or Cassia Bark.
@morning glory who won a recipe for a Tomato, Goat's Cheese and Brie Tart and chose Beans or Chickpeas.
@epicuric who won with a recipe for Wholewheat fusilli with roasted vegetables and chose tomatoes.
@winterybella won with a recipe for Tuscan Garlic Chicken and chose pasta.
@morning glory won with a recipe for her Prosciutto, Watermelon and Hearts of Palm and chose chicken.
@Elawin won with a recipe for Beefburgers and chose melon.
@zoribrida won with a Red Lentils recipe and she chose ground beef.
@morning glory won with a Pumpkin and Marrow Tagine recipe and she chose lentils.
@Caribbean girl won with a Stuffed Sweet Peppers with Ground Beef recipe and she chose pumpkin
@L_B won with the Portobello Mushroom Pizza and chose peppers.
@morning glory and @classic33 won with a Smoked Salmon with Pickled Cabbage and Kale Seaweed and Red Cabbage Blueberry Smoothie (respectively) and jointly chose mushrooms.
@winterybella won with with Vegetable Curry with Parsnip and Cauliflower and chose cabbage.
@Duck59 won with a Orange, beetroot and celery salad and chose parsnips.
@morning glory won with a Chicken and Parma Ham Ballotines and chose oranges.
@cupcakechef won with a Porkkanalaatiko - Finnish Carrot Casserole and chose ham.
@classic33 won with a Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Aubergine Torte) and chose carrots.
@morning glory won with a Leek, Potato & Saffron Soup and chose aubergine (egg plant).
@SatNavSaysStraightOn started the comp and chose potatoes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
This was an idea I had some time ago. Fresno peppers stuffed with a mixture of potato, cheese, garlic, onion, butter and tomato puree, all mashed together. They were grilled in the vertical position. I'm not presenting them as an entry because they were not very good but I may try again.

stuffed fresnos.jpg

I suppose that I could lie and say they were very good but it's too late now.

Last edited:
I first had a jalapeño burger in a diner somewhere between Galveston and Houston around 1990. This is my take on it now.

Burger bun sliced into three; bottom layer, lettuce, beef pate, ketchup/balsamic vinegar mix (70/30), sliced pickled jalapeño chilis, second layer, sliced tomato, thickly sliced raw onion then the lid.

jalapeno burger.jpg

Fresno peppers stuffed with a mixture of potato, cheese, garlic, onion, butter and tomato puree, all mashed together. They were grilled in the vertical position. I'm not presenting them as an entry because they were not very good but I may try again.
What do you think went wrong? Could it be that you need an additional seasoning to bring out the flavor? They're certainly intriguing. I made stuffed poblanos once, and they turned out to be good, but not great. But there, I think it needed additional heat (which poblanos don't have).

What do you think went wrong? Could it be that you need an additional seasoning to bring out the flavor? They're certainly intriguing. I made stuffed poblanos once, and they turned out to be good, but not great. But there, I think it needed additional heat (which poblanos don't have).

You're probably correct. The Fresnos didn't have much heat at all. They were lacking in taste. Maybe some chopped chillis in the stuffing may help.

You're probably correct. The Fresnos didn't have much heat at all. They were lacking in taste. Maybe some chopped chillis in the stuffing may help.
Funny thing about peppers: there's always a range in what the heat level will be, and you can't tell by looking at them. I use serranos all the time; sometimes they're hot, and sometimes they're disappointingly mild. I shouldn't be surprised, since the Scoville scale says they range from 10,000 to 25,000 units, but I'm always disappointed when they're toward the bottom of the range. If they're being chopped and integrated into a dish, it's easy enough to throw some more in, if you bought enough to do that. But, if it has to remain whole, you don't have that option.

I used to bite the end off one (if buying in the market) to test the "hotness" but even that is not foolproof (and could be somewhat dangerous) as even chillis from the same batch may vary substantially in "hotness". Unless the "hotness" of the dish is predominantly controlled by fresh chillis (e.g tom yam) i tend to use chilli powder to regulate the heat but even that sometimes varies in "hotness" in my experience.

If they're being chopped and integrated into a dish, it's easy enough to throw some more in, if you bought enough to do that.

We don't usually have that problem. Our chillis here, either Thai hot or prik kee noo, are bought by the handfull. My handfull would be around Bht 10.00 (30 US cents), my wife's handful about half that. I started to make chilli sauce from the ones we had left over because I disliked throwing them away but in the end there was insufficient freezer space for any more sauce and I had to give that up. I'm sure there are still jars of the stuff left in the bowels of the freezer.

I Christened the sauce "Porton Down" because it was virtually lethal.

We don't usually have that problem. Our chillis here, either Thai hot or prik kee noo, are bought by the handfull. My handfull would be around Bht 10.00 (30 US cents), my wife's handful about half that. I started to make chilli sauce from the ones we had left over because I disliked throwing them away but in the end there was insufficient freezer space for any more sauce and I had to give that up. I'm sure there are still jars of the stuff left in the bowels of the freezer.

I Christened the sauce "Porton Down" because it was virtually lethal.

For information:

porton down sauce.jpg

porton down sauce 2.jpg

I'm not sure if this really qualifies as the chilli isn't so much in the foreground - but anyway.
I don't care if I see the main ingredient: all I want to be able to do is taste it. After looking at your recipe, I have no doubt that I'll be able to do just that!

You know...you could enter this in the ginger spice challenge, too. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom