The CookingBites recipe challenge: tomatoes

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:28 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is tomatoes and karadekoolaid is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe** using tomato, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Entries exceeding the limit will be disqualified.

Deadline: midday Friday 7th January, UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

** recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Last edited:
karadekoolaid: besides developing an excellent recipe (actually, 5 excellent recipes) in the last challenge, thank you for picking an ingredient that’s accessible and versatile.

Having said that, I fully expect there to be more questions regarding whether an ingredient is considered a tomato.

@karadekoolaid: besides developing an excellent recipe (actually, 5 excellent recipes) in the last challenge, thank you for picking an ingredient that’s accessible and versatile.

Having said that, I fully expect there to be more questions regarding whether an ingredient is considered a tomato.
Thanks, LNG!
Quite often, the simplest, most common ingredients are the most difficult ones to use creatively. I´ve been an ardent watcher of MasterChef (USA and Spain) over the past few years, and one of the things that impresses me is when the candidates get presented with something simple like a potato, a tomato, a pepper or a chicken breast; so many times it´s "same old, same old..."
I shall only consider recipes made from solanum lycopersicum:cool::cool:

I'm not a tomato fan, but there a coupla recipes that I do like.
I've got my creative tomato juices flowing, lol. Ive got a couple of ideas for entries, but since I can't find a recipe for exactly what I want to make, I'll have to play around with it a little to get it right before posting it. I should have something yummy posted by the end of next week.

Then run them up the flagpole, see if they float in the breeze!!:D:D

In the US, the saying goes, "Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes." :laugh:

Good ingredient choice! Fresh tomatoes will be out of the question for me. I live in North Texas, for one thing, plus it is winter. But, I can get really good canned tomatoes.

CD

Just a thought... should we extend this challenge a bit, since there is a major international holiday right in the middle of it? I know I will lose a whole week of kitchen time to Christmas travel. I'm guessing I am not alone. The current deadline also happens to be New Year's Eve.

CD

Back
Top Bottom