The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (June 2017): Mustard

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:36 PM
Each month we showcase a different spice. I'll be writing up some information about the spice and then its over to you to come up with your tips, tricks or recipes using the spice. There is a prize for the most interesting idea or recipe (to be posted anywhere in the world, customs permitting). Just add your ideas to this thread or if you have a recipe, then post it as a new thread and tag it ‘Mustard' and 'spice challenge'. So, as you already realised, this month, the featured spice is Mustard! If all you have ever done with mustard is use it on hot-dogs or steak then think again! There is so much more you can do with this wonderful spice. Deadline for entries midday Saturday 1st July 2017 (BST)

Mustard - the info

17-Amazing-Benefits-Of-Mustard-Seeds-For-Skin-Hair-And-Health.jpg

Fun fact
The well known 'eye of newt' used by the witches in Macbeth is in fact black mustard seeds.

Cultivation
The mustard plant, like broccoli, radish and cabbage, belongs to the brassica family. The seeds come from three different plants: black mustard (Brassica nigra), brown mustard (B. Juncea), or white mustard (B.hirta/sinapsis alba). The white seeds are also known as yellow mustard seeds and can vary in colour from almost white to pale yellow. The black seeds are exceedingly pungent; they’re also difficult to harvest, volatile and thus more expensive. Mustard grows well in temperate regions. Major producers of mustard seeds include India, Pakistan, Canada, Nepal, Hungary, Great Britain and the United States. Brown and black mustard seeds return higher yields than their white counterpart.

In Pakistan, rapeseed-mustard is the second most important source of oil, after cotton. It is cultivated over an area of 307,000 hectares with annual production of 233,000 tonnes and contributes about 17% to the domestic production of edible oil.

Aroma and flavour
White/yellow seeds tend to be much milder and they are the seeds (with the addition of turmeric for colour) used to make yellow mustard. Black or brown mustard seeds are widely used in Indian, especially Bengali and Southern Asian, cooking. When fried, the taste is nutty rather than fiery. Mustard seeds have very little aroma before cooking. The taste is released when the seeds are crushed and mixed with water which activates an enzyme in the seeds and produces their warmth, earthiness and pungency.

Heath benefits

Mustard is widely believed to soothe aches and pains (mustard bath, anyone?). Some studies suggest that the compounds which give mustard its eye-watering pungency also inhibit the growth of cancer cells, most notably in the gastrointestinal tract and colon. Mustard seeds are an excellent source of selenium and a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids and manganese. They are also a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, copper and vitamin B1. There are also numerous claims for the benefits of mustard oil on the skin, hair and for cardiac health for example.

Culinary use
Mustard, and mustard seed, is an indispensable ingredient in any cook's larder. Whole, black or brown mustard seeds, either dry roasted, or "tempered" in a hot oil with fresh curry leaves, show off their nutty character in southern Indian cooking. Smooth mustard brings a kick to otherwise mild dishes, such as cauliflower cheese. White mustard seeds are often used whole in pickles, relishes and brines.

Both black and brown mustard seeds are used in Indian, Asian and Southern Mediterranean cooking but brown mustard seeds are now far more common as they are easier and more economical to harvest than the black variety. English mustard is usually made up from a mixture of white and brown mustard seeds.

By far the most common use of mustard seeds in the Western world is as a mustard paste and there are many different kinds, ranging from the familiar mild American mustard and the super-hot English mustard to the famous French mustards such as Dijon, Meaux, Maille and the sweet and sour German mustards. Many different ingredients can be added to flavour mustard, such as wine, beer, vinegar as well as herbs, spices and honey. Mustard paste can be made using whole seeds or ground mustard powder.

Mustard oil is another widely used product although it is less common in the West. It is used in many Indian curry recipes and can be used in salad dressings and to flavour fish or meat. The aromas that arise from cooking with mustard oil are very pungent, but the oil turns from hot to sweet during the cooking process.

Now its over to you. How do you use mustard? Tell us your ideas, tips and recipes for using mustard seeds or mustard. Deadline for entries is midday (GMT) 1st July 2017.

Last edited: Saturday at 5:34 PM

Last year I used mustard powder in the pickling process for cucumber for the first time. Here are some slices with roast pork:

cucumber pork.jpg

The mustard challenge had me thinking. I've plenty of horseshoe gammon and I haven't had honey and mustard gammon for some time. I extracted a slice of gammon from the freezer to defrost and prepared the "marinade". Then discovered that I've already posted the recipe on here. It's not easy to vary a recipe that has only three ingredients.

C'est la vie.

mustard and honey s.jpg

Last edited:
I do think it's a bit hard on folks to preclude recipes that have already been posted on here (not in competition). When I first joined I posted a number of my favourite recipes purely for information (it is a cooking forum) and a few months thereafter found that one or more of the ingredients were the subject of a "challenge" and therefore the recipe would be excluded.

Sadsmileycrying.gif

I do think it's a bit hard on folks to preclude recipes that have already been posted on here (not in competition). When I first joined I posted a number of my favourite recipes purely for information (it is a cooking forum) and a few months thereafter found that one or more of the ingredients were the subject of a "challenge" and therefore the recipe would be excluded.

Sadsmileycrying.gif

@Yorky, The Spice Challenge does not preclude recipes previously published on the forum. Just post a link to it here and add Spice Challenge to the Recipe tags. :D. It is the Recipe Challenge which doesn't permit it.

@Yorky, The Spice Challenge does not preclude recipes previously published on the forum. Just post a link to it here and add Spice Challenge to the Recipe tags. :D. It is the Recipe Challenge which doesn't permit it.

Ah, OK. I'll remember that.

I cannot see the difference though. Perhaps I'm too logical?

The only time I have used mustard seeds from scratch was when I had a brief enthusiasm for chutney making.
It's more common to use it ready prepared from a jar. I always have a jar of English mustard and a jar of wholegrain mustard. They both get put out to go with grilled or barbecued meats.
In cooking, English mustard is my secret ingredient in a cheese roux, especially in cauliflower cheese where I add a generous teaspoon. I often put about a dessertspoon of wholegrain mustard in a pork casserole.
It has been on my mind to make a honey and mustard dressing one day but I have always bought it ready made up to now.

The only time I have used mustard seeds from scratch was when I had a brief enthusiasm for chutney making.
It's more common to use it ready prepared from a jar. I always have a jar of English mustard and a jar of wholegrain mustard. They both get put out to go with grilled or barbecued meats.
In cooking, English mustard is my secret ingredient in a cheese roux, especially in cauliflower cheese where I add a generous teaspoon. I often put about a dessertspoon of wholegrain mustard in a pork casserole.
It has been on my mind to make a honey and mustard dressing one day but I have always bought it ready made up to now.

I also put English mustard in cheese sauce - it really perks up the flavour. Dijon mustard works well too.

Last edited:
I also add a spoonful of English mustard powder into cauliflower cheese sauce.

Back
Top Bottom