The first food you ever made/cooked from scratch...

caseydog

Local time
11:25 AM
The first thing I ever learned to make on my own, from scratch, was tapioca pudding. I loved it. We lived in Pittsburgh at the time, so I would have been about ten years old. My sister learned how to make it from my mom, and then showed me how to make it. It was a pretty simple dish to make, but it was a first cooking experience for me. I don't remember how to make it, now. I'll have to see if my mom or sister still have the recipe.

So, do you remember the first thing you ever cooked?

CD

I was quite simply a dreadful cook. I simply wasn't interested and when I left home I lived on University canteen food, packet curry, baked beans and Indian restaurant food. I didn't start learning to cook until I was in my mid twenties and I'm struggling to remember what the first thing was. I was taught to cook by a new partner who was part French. It might have been an omelette because I remember him showing me his method for making them.

With my mother - probably those toll house chocolate chip cookies. Out on my own - I really don't remember. i know the year when I had my own kitchen in grad school, I was making a lot of different things with hot dogs and/or noodles. Both were inexpensive, which was why. Could have also been an omelet or fried eggs or something like that for breakfasts.

Probably scrambled eggs, while still living at home.

Both my parents have the same teaching style: "I'm gonna do this and you're gonna watch and keep your mouth shut," which isn't the best for me.

Also, my mom, in some ways, wasn't a very good cook. She burned things a lot because she was always in a hurry. She never used a recipe (that didn't make her a bad cook, it just meant she didn't have anything written down for me to follow on my own). Nothing she made was, oh how do I say it?...well thought out or considered. She made gravy, but never any other kind of pan sauce. She made pork chops multiple times a week, but it was always pan-fried bone-in chops, every time, fried in a cast iron skillet in bacon grease, things like that, so there wasn't a lot of excitement going on. All very good food, but it was the same things, week in and week out.

It was probably a cookie cake (this is a poor translation of the portuguese name. It's a cake like the one in the photo). These cakes are widely popular in Portugal and very easy to make. It's basically a buttercream with Maria cookies soaked in coffee, built in layers of cookies and buttercream. I was making these when I was 12 or 13 I believe. I made them with my grandma and my mother when I was younger than that. It's a really easy cake.
1622903041326.png

I was pretty young. Ma worked full time to support us and cooked almost right away when she got home. We were kids so of course we were hungry.

"What's for dinner ?" was the first thing out of our mouths one day.
"So that is all you care about huh".

So soon I figured out how to make a ham and egg sandwich. Offered her one when she got home and she liked it. Way back then I experienced someone liking my food. I also learned how not to be so d___ selfish.

I was embarrassed into it !

T

Back
Top Bottom