The Five Mother Sauces

Termyn8or

Local time
3:18 AM
I have read about this but never really got into it, but it could be beneficial to know.

Béchamel sauce

Basically white sauce, white roux and milk. Of course in actual use I bet other things go in.

veloute sauce

Roux and "light" stock. I am pretty sure things will be added to this as well in actual use.

Espagnole sauce

It says "reduce roux with tomato paste".

Hollandaise sauce

Egg yolk, melted butter and maybe salt, white or cayenne pepper.

tomato sauce

We know what that is.

These all seem fairly easy to me with the worst one being Hollandaise. Mainly physical, whisking the butter into those egg yolks.

So who knows and can make the five mother sauces ?

T

One of the dishes on the FL's current tasting menu.

HAND ROLLED RICOTTA “AGNOLOTTI”
Cheese Rind “Consommé” and Preserved Périgord Black Winter Truffles

I could handle that here at home if I get ambitious. Sounds really good!

My bucket list is countries I need to visit, not food. No restaurants I really want to visit except maybe the savoy in London. I've been lucky enough to have eaten in some good joints.

Russ

The origin of these is in classic French cooking. Originally Allemande was included and there were only 4 'mother sauces'.:

Often considered the first ‘celebrity chef’, Carême is most famous for having identified the original ‘mother sauces’ of modern cooking: Béchamel, Espagnole, Velouté and Allemande. Many hundreds of sauces have derived from these originals over the years, most famously with chef Auguste Escoffier in the 1900's adding Hollandaise and Sauce Tomate to the mother sauces and removing Allemande as it was a product of Velouté.

And yes, I would be a bit worried about me as an obsessive cook if I didn't know how to make them!

Back
Top Bottom