The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The repeat offenders are shopfloor and don't get paid if they are off for under 5 days, they keep losing money, I don't understand how they can with the cost of living as it is.
Well to me that clearly indicates there must be more going on than 'can't be bothered' as they are losing out on money. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean there's nothing there.

I know we are all different but I am quite shocked by the amount of time off some of my colleagues take..'sick'. I wasn't raised like that, my mum's reaction was always has you leg fallen off? no? then you can get up and go out the door. I still live by this.

yep - there seem to be a lot of "slackers" out there!
I can remember getting sent home from work, probably 1998 sometime. My boss took one look at me and said "get out of here!" I had dengue fever for 10 days...
I suppose the "good" thing was that dengue is not contagious. You can only get it when bitten by the aedes aegypti mosquito.

I totally agree that if you are genuinely sick then yes, stay at home. HR has sat down with the repeat offenders and explained that if there is anything they need help or support with they only have to say and we will do what we can to assist, help is there if they need it. I think most are just slackers to be honest.

There are plenty of non-obvious reasons someone may need to take a sick day - bladder infection, migraine, mental health issue, etc.

I’m in agreement with SatNav and TastyR on this one - I would prefer if people stay home when they are sick. I do, and I find I recover much faster when I take 2-3 days off to rest and nap on the couch vs dragging myself into the office.

I had one coworker who was absolutely terrible about coming in when she was sick - one year she traveled overseas and brought something back with her, and came into the office with it, despite being told not to. Within a week, it was making its way through the office - I have never before seen something take out so many people at once. At one point we had literally half of our 30 person office all out sick at the same time. I was one of about 3 people who somehow escaped unscathed. It was knocking people right out too - many people who got it ended up bedridden for days they were so sick.

This was in late 2019. Many of us now wonder if it might have been an outbreak of covid before covid was being properly recognized.

Back when I worked in an office, I rarely took sick days, because I rarely got sick. But, if I did get sick, especially if I had a fever, I did NOT take that to the office to pass on to everyone else.

I had cancer surgery on a Friday, and went to work for a half day on Monday. But I wasn't contagious -- and only stayed long enough to get some important things done, before the boss told me to get my a$$ home.

If there is any chance you will get other people sick, go to the doctor, not to the office. Also, I don't think people who work with potentially dangerous machinery or drive for a living should be doing so while loaded up with meds, either. Anytime you stand a chance of making others sick, or hurting yourself or others, I think you need to think twice about going to work.

That's my two cents worth.

CD

Doesn't look like hubby is going to make it home tonight. All flights into Sydney are delayed. He's in Brisbane airport at the moment and will likely miss his connecting flight into Canberra. :(
Yep, he's stuck in Brisbane.

The bad weather we had overnight and all of this morning until mid afternoon has moved north and gotten worse. They can get him to Sydney but not to Canberra, so they'll put him up in Brisbane and fly him direct to Canberra tomorrow on the first direct flight out.

Any idea of a new ETA?
With the number of times he's been delayed, I'm not really expecting the 6pm landing in Canberra to be on time. (It's already 30 minutes late and he's not actually left Brisbane yet (won't for another few hours). It's not actually a long flight (1hr 45 mins). But Queensland is on a different timezone to Canberra even though it's directly north of us. They don't do daylight savings because of the proximity to the equator.

With the number of times he's been delayed, I'm not really expecting the 6pm landing in Canberra to be on time. (It's already 30 minutes late and he's not actually left Brisbane yet (won't for another few hours). It's not actually a long flight (1hr 45 mins). But Queensland is on a different timezone to Canberra even though it's directly north of us. They don't do daylight savings because of the proximity to the equator.
We wont be flying in next 12 months, like over there we too have canceled flights. Son supposed to leave Auckland direct to chch. Had to stay s night then Auckland to welly then 3 hr wait.then home.
Crazy times!!!

Russ

With the number of times he's been delayed, I'm not really expecting the 6pm landing in Canberra to be on time. (It's already 30 minutes late and he's not actually left Brisbane yet (won't for another few hours)
Hopefully, after all that delay, he finally makes it home in good shape.

Hopefully, after all that delay, he finally makes it home in good shape.
I think the only shape he'll be in is flat on his back snoring :sleep: probably most of tomorrow.

He's got a meeting in Canberra at 5:30pm which has now been pushed back to 6pm and instead of it being in Canberra it's not at the airport!

Only after that will he get to come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom