The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, was TastyReuben on the show?

I know I wasn't. I'm leaving my brain to science. That should make an interesting video... or horror movie. :eek:

CD
🤓 The audience is not shown mostly. Is he a Stanford graduate?
Are you really? Fantastic. Did you sign whatever papers, real real?
Not a horror movie.
I imagine beside the grey and white matter, it really is on microscopical and chemical analysis level that all the exciting stuff pops up.

The husband and I are going part-time vegetarian, we're doing it mainly for the climate but also because we're noticing that prices are getting higher and it's hitting us in the wallet. It's not near problematic yet, but we really need to tighten the belt a litte.
We're exempting take aways, restaurant food and food while visiting other from this rule. Though of course we're also reducing the amount of times we do those things.
This does not mean I will suddenly switch to only vegetarian food, right now our freezer is full of meat and fish. But we won't buy any new meat or fish.
Good thinking.
I went on strict budget tightening in August and will continue to do so.
I still have to buy meat...
Prices have gone up here too.

Last Wednesday I had a ct scan on my sinus, doc called today-I have a deviated septum...a bone spur which is pressing which is why I am in pain and my right sinus always feels blocked. I have been referred to the ENT dept at our local hospital-so just waiting for an appointment to discuss surgical options. It may take a while.
Fingers crossed for the best. 🍀

Sorry to hear it. I saw that prices have gone up 33% throughout the entire supply chain, it was on the news yesterday

Prices are up in the US, too. Cars are also in short supply, due to a lack of computer chips for them. Dealerships near me that usually have a few hundred cars on the lot have almost empty lots. If you think back to last fall, it took me 3 months to get my new fridge. It still takes that long.

As for food, the shelves are full again. Meat prices are up, but not as high as they were a few months ago -- especially chicken. Beef hasn't changed, at least here in Texas. Beef is plentiful in Texas.

Fuel is up, but not as much in Texas as in some parts of the US. Again, a lot of petrol and natural gas for the US comes from Texas. Hurricane Ida didn't shut down much -- none of the refineries in Texas had to shut down. Some oil wells in the Gulf were shut down, but not enough to cause shortages of oil.

CD

Well, the total price to replace the broken air condition system at my parent's house is $8,500. If it had lasted two more months, it would have been somebody else's problem. But no, the house had to hit us with one big expense before we sold it. Hopefully just this one.

My parents have deteriorated quite a bit over the last year, physically and mentally. I went into the kitchen late this morning, and the hot water was running in the sink, and nobody was in there but me. My dad turned it on, and forgot it was on. My mom asks us the same questions over and over, and forgets she asked.

My sister and I are glad they are moving to this retirement community. I saw their new home/flat today. It is very nice, and has some great services. They have a kitchen, with all GE stainless steel appliances, but also included in the monthly payments is a meal allowance at the very nice dining room. The place has an Executive Chef, whom I met today. He will meet with my parents when they move in to discuss their particular dietary needs (just my mom -- dad can eat anything). There is also a nice coffee/ice cream shop on the site, where my dad can satisfy is large appetite for coffee and sweets.

Still a lot for my sister and I to do before next Tuesday, when they close on the new place, and I fly home. I'll probably be back in a few weeks with a cargo van to pick up some stuff from the house that will not be moving with them to the much smaller flat.

CD

That is pretty common. It can be painful to repair, but the pain is temporary. Mine is deviated, too, but because my nose has been broken three times. I can breathe okay, except during the worst part of my allergy season, so I've let it go.

CD

I can see the issues with allergies, thankfully I don't have any but it does make breathing difficult which can lead to snoring, which in turn leads to both of us missing out on sleep :tired:

Hurricane Ida has made landfall in the New Orleans area, zapping that city once again with category 4 force. ElizabethB , I hope you are doing OK.
Dodged a bullet - again.
The media focus is usually on NOLA. There are many coastal communities that suffered more damage. The big problem in NOLA is - again - infrastructure failure. With Katrina it was the failure of the levee system, with Ida it is the failure of the utility system.
Don't get me wrong - I love NOLA. In the mid '80's I lived in NOLA for 4 years. Four amazing years living in a crazy, magical city.

Dodged a bullet - again.
The media focus is usually on NOLA. There are many coastal communities that suffered more damage. The big problem in NOLA is - again - infrastructure failure. With Katrina it was the failure of the levee system, with Ida it is the failure of the utility system.
Don't get me wrong - I love NOLA. In the mid '80's I lived in NOLA for 4 years. Four amazing years living in a crazy, magical city.
Good to see you back with us. Is everything back to normal in your neighbourhood?

Good to see you back with us. Is everything back to normal in your neighbourhood?
Dodged a bullet - only light winds and little rain. The only way to know that there was a hurricane was the counterclockwise motion of the wind. We were very fortunate. Ida was a real b!tch. We have friends in Grand Isle, Thibodeaux and Houma. REALLY BAD!!

Fuel is up, but not as much in Texas as in some parts of the US.
Fuel is up here too. My bf texted last night that it is upped every two days.
Shops are full. Plentiful of everything. There is no sense of crisis. Prices are up. Plus the announcement they will go up even more.
Taxi when Dad and I took on Thu, used to be 25 kn (4,50 usd), and now is 40 kn (7 usd). So both eays 14 usd, instead of 9...

Dodged a bullet - only light winds and little rain. The only way to know that there was a hurricane was the counterclockwise motion of the wind. We were very fortunate. Ida was a real b!tch. We have friends in Grand Isle, Thibodeaux and Houma. REALLY BAD!!
Hi. I was wondering how you were. Glad it went smooth. So sorry for the other families who had it rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom