The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. They're still registering false alarms monthly, at all hours, and these permanent-battery models will not shut off! There's no silencing them.
I am certain you will find a solution.
Speaking of alarms, there is one that sounds off very often, at 7 am in the hood and is so loud, it wakes half the hood up. Annoying. I do not really know what it is. Used to think it was a car alarm, but as it sounds at the same time everytime, it might be a wake up alarm.
Wake up with a big W.
Luckily most of the times it gets shut off in under 10 seconds. Sometimes it takes over a minute...😒

I am certain you will find a solution.
Speaking of alarms, there is one that sounds off very often, at 7 am in the hood and is so loud, it wakes half the hood up. Annoying. I do not really know what it is. Used to think it was a car alarm, but as it sounds at the same time everytime, it might be a wake up alarm.
Wake up with a big W.
Luckily most of the times it gets shut off in under 10 seconds. Sometimes it takes over a minute...😒

You need to experience the tornado sirens in North Texas sometime. Not fun during the day, absolutely frightening at night.

Here is a video shot from about 3 miles South of my house. The graphics say Hwy 121 and Custer. Not even clse. That sore is at 121 and Hillcrest. That fact only matters to me, because news people should know where the ---- they are.

Anyway, the tornado/storm sirens kick in about a minute into the video. BTW, the green looking sky is not a video problem. In tornado weather, the sky is actually green. For people who live here, when we see green sky, it sends a chill down our spines.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1diXbnYWZJw

CD

It's warm and muggy. we went to bed with it being 17°C outside, woke after thunderstorm had rattled around for hours to 15°C . It's 19°C outside now despite heavy cloud. It's due to rain heavily today but hasn't yet. I'm at a loose end... hubby's working (as in work, work) and I've done what I intended to do today (make 3 different vegan cheeses for Christmas ). I'm going to make a lemon polenta cake tomorrow.... that way I have a small something I can eat in hospital but it must wait until tomorrow because that way there will be some left to take to hospital with me. Luckily it needs to mature for 24hrs so...

So I'm bored. I know I could be doing all sorts including work on CB but I really don't feel like doing anything and I've done all of the gardening I could possibly do. Everything that needed planting has been planted. The veg plot has been dug over and planted out fully. The new border has been dug, plants dug up, divided, replanted, rescued, and even a wood border constructed to remind the grass where the lawn ends and the border starts.

I've sewn 5 types of potatoes, broad beans, Climbing red beans, runner beans, peas, New Zealand Yams, artichokes, tomatoes (2 lots), basil, coriander, aubergine, Okra, Orach (don't ask), sorrell, cabbage, beetroot, leeks, carrots, and so much more I can't remember. Raspberries have been transplanted, Strawberries divided, Red currants planted, parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill, winter savoury, and more thinned, moved or just given more space. the passion fruit relocated, the garlic weeded, then there's a few regional bushtucker leaves and some bushes for edible white berries. Then the Fruit trees have been cut back, topped off to restrict height and make it easier to put netting over them later in the season. and finally various areas have had flowers planted as well! And the lemon 🍋 tree 🌳 has been tamed... Did I include the fig trees? the rhubarb? the 4 olive trees? The apricot tree? And yes, It has taken weeks and weeks... and I'm sure I've missed things... Ah the grape vine...

Yep, all so I can be ready to go into hospital and now i'm almost there, I'm bored! I don't want to start another knitting project but will, but I also need to wind up several skeins of yarn... That's what I can do... Yepee I've found something to do...
Raspberries are budding here, thousands, looking like a good year this year.wife asked me to grow calendula plants they are up, planted out gerkins/pickles from my nursery .
New potatoes are up and we will have for Xmas day.

Russ

It was a warm day today, but a front is about to move through. We are under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, and a Tornado Watch. It should roll into Frisco in about 10 minutes. I can already hear the thunder, and see a lot of lightning.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.28.30 PM.jpg

CD

It was a warm day today, but a front is about to move through. We are under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, and a Tornado Watch. It should roll into Frisco in about 10 minutes. I can already hear the thunder, and see a lot of lightning.

View attachment 72754

CD
Looks like your severe weather warning/tornado watch just expired a couple of minutes ago. You make it through ok?

Raspberries are budding here, thousands, looking like a good year this year.wife asked me to grow calendula plants they are up, planted out gerkins/pickles from my nursery .
New potatoes are up and we will have for Xmas day.

Russ
given that it was 3°C this am and forecaste to be that every morning this week, I doubt we'll see much surfacing for a while. Much too cold yet. But the pear tree is in full flower and the apples are "considering" life ! The vine has just started to leaf and the figs are considering It as well. This week will peg them back a touch. So far today it has made it to a stunning 12°C with a UV index of 8... All We seem to do here is to trade one hat for another. In the early morning a woollen hat, by 9am or so over to the sun hat that must have a built in factor +50 rating.

But today and tomorrow are cooking and packing days... today cooking (lemon polenta cake and if I get chance, some scones and maybe pikelets and tomorrow is physio, doctors and then Chemist before dropping off 9 dozen eggs to the food bank and then have in the afternoon to get packed for hospital.

given that it was 3°C this am and forecaste to be that every morning this week, I doubt we'll see much surfacing for a while. Much too cold yet. But the pear tree is in full flower and the apples are "considering" life ! The vine has just started to leaf and the figs are considering It as well. This week will peg them back a touch. So far today it has made it to a stunning 12°C with a UV index of 8... All We seem to do here is to trade one hat for another. In the early morning a woollen hat, by 9am or so over to the sun hat that must have a built in factor +50 rating.

But today and tomorrow are cooking and packing days... today cooking (lemon polenta cake and if I get chance, some scones and maybe pikelets and tomorrow is physio, doctors and then Chemist before dropping off 9 dozen eggs to the food bank and then have in the afternoon to get packed for hospital.
Hope it goes well.

Russ

Looks like your severe weather warning/tornado watch just expired a couple of minutes ago. You make it through ok?

Yep. Pretty strong winds, but not the worst I've seen. Something hit my house... probably a chair from somebody's patio. That happens on a somewhat regular basis. I've found several patio umbrellas in my yard over the years.

Good, soaking rain! :okay: No hail in my neighborhood. No storm sirens, either.

CD

It's the end of the rainy season now and should be getting cooler. It isn't. Daytime highs of 33°C currently.

Hope it goes well.

Russ
thanks. Still waiting for the dietician to ring me to discuss food. So far nothing despite them promising to ring me at some point last week !
Right now I've prepped the lemon polenta cake and made same dairy free pikelets (drop scones). The pikelets are now in the freezer ready to be brought in every couple of days. He's only allowed to visit every other day for 30 minutes at a time. A very short time for a 1¼hr drive each way! The only good news is that the covid lockdown in ACT is revisited on Friday and maybe revised whilst I'm in there.

Yep. Pretty strong winds, but not the worst I've seen. Something hit my house... probably a chair from somebody's patio. That happens on a somewhat regular basis. I've found several patio umbrellas in my yard over the years.

Good, soaking rain! :okay: No hail in my neighborhood. No storm sirens, either.

CD
We are fortunate in this area as our weather is pretty stable..we rarely get extreme weather in the summer..doesn't get hot enough..but, on one occasion we were getting hit by a pretty bad storm, I started to get a little scared and told my wife and daughter I to stay away from the windows and as I was hurrying into the kitchen I saw my neighbour's tin shed rolling through my back yard with him hanging on to it..he was being dragged along and eventually let go...the shed finally got hung up in the tree line on the other neighbour's yard...wasn't funny then, but I laugh about it now..

Last edited:
Typical, you tell them not to ring between 7am and 12pm and what time do they ring? Grrr 8:54am. And I've just been told that the hospital is a nut free zone. Don't cater for anyone allergic to dairy but...

So the lemon polenta cake is out and I now need to cook again this afternoon. Scones it will be.

A pleasant surprise today! I was waiting for the package of sweets/biscuits I ordered from the UK and in the meantime I received one from my family in Sardinia :dance: A big piece of mature Pecorino Sardo cheese, Sardinian salame, Mirto liqueur, fresh bottarga from Cabras and Guttiau bread! This made my day 😻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom