The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they didn't want to hire me due to my disability, but saying that is illegal because it's discrimination. So instead offering a false promise and then not following up on it, is a smart tactic if they want to avoid saying something illegal.

I just hope I am wrong and they are calling me first thing tomorrow

I’ve been working in Human Dept. for years and sometimes these kind of things happened. Better and more professional just to stay neutral and don’t give any chance for misunderstandings, mostly because the person who interviews is not the one who has the last word but an intermediary (an important one of course). It’s a matter of respect for the Company, for the candidate, themselves by saving professional skills, and to not waste each other time.
Let’s keep the hope alive anyway and mostly don’t let this episode will shut you down.

Last edited:
I’ve been working in Human Dept. for years and sometimes these kind of things happened. Better and more professional just to stay neutral and don’t give any chance for misunderstandings, mostly because the person who interviews is not the one who has the last word but an intermediary (an important one of course). It’s a matter of respect for the Company, for the candidate, themselves by saving professional skills, and to not waste each other time.
Let’s keep the hope alive anyway and mostly don’t let this episode will shut you down.
Yes that's right but they did promise me compensation for a morning of working there, and I've heard nothing about that either. That's exploitative, and while I am perfectly polite I wil write a review about them if they don't follow up on that. Letting people work for free without their consent is exploitative and can be called out.

As for the discrimination issue, yeah, I know. This is my life since I've been disabled. I've never been hired since I have a disability. No matter how many laws there are to provide protection to disabled people, we're still barely working. Only 35% of adults with a disability in NL are in some kind of work, even during this crisis it was already in the news that companies still don't consider people with a disability.
We're just not interesting, employers want unicorns who are 16, have 10 years of experience, a doctorate and can work 80+ hours a week with no time for themselves.

Keep the hope alive, I'll try. But it's not easy.

I'll be holding you to that!
The deed is done:

I applied a Victorian Age auto-blocker that automatically obscures any offensive skin. :laugh:

Unfortunately, that happens a lot more than people realize. I've seen it firsthand more than once and there just isn't much anyone can do about it.

In my profession, it is age that keeps you out of jobs. Nobody wants to hire a 60-year-old Art Director. The people making the hiring decisions are all Millennials, and old farts like me have no ideas left in us -- not that we were ever as "talented" as they are.

CD

Nobody wants to hire a 60-year-old Art Director. The people making the hiring decisions

That happens here too, horrible. Plenty of 50-60 yo who aim for a whatever job since they have lost theirs because of age.
On the telly you listen only job problem about 20-30 yo (not as an investment but rather as a saving).
I am 48 yo and on the edge…

Productive day today! I've let my garage kinda' turn into a dumping ground during covid. In a few weeks, I have to fit two cars in there, plus winter is coming, and the rats are starting to move in, looking for a warm home. Time to clean!

IMG_1662.JPG

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom