The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
caseydog translation please ??? :wave:
my brother is a driving instructor. hopefully that's the bit that is missing...

unless a wheelie bin getting a speeding ticket is the bit that's not crossing the ocean?

else it is my predictive text which takes a lot of guesswork some days . you very nearly had "cruising the ocean" instead of crossing and veto instead of very and....

plus as he is aging my brother is getting more and more like our grandfather... park well away from everyone else at the shops to stop the car being scratched and complains if it rains, snows, goes dark and so on. (you know that car all by itself in the car park... then he'll complain that his back hurts, he's tired, he gets wet when it rains and so on. he's even got our grandfather's cardigans to wear and he's younger than me!

Spent the morning discussing the ins and outs of solar panel electric fence energisers (basically a 12v battery recharged by a solar panel) because my existing one isn't big enough to run 2x 50m chicken fences + gate and less than an hour after buying a new one (that would also only do 1×50m) my old one gave up the ghost...

So after buying the smaller energiser and planning to simply run one smaller energiser on each section of 50m chicken electric fencing, I now need to replace the original (4yr old model that worked perfectly until I returned it for manufacturer recall - hydrogen production when mains charging which when you mains recharge indoors is a problem).

So the one I bought yesterday (along with another section of 50m chicken electric fence) won't be powerful enough to run 100m of it* see note below on why) and I now need to pay with more money to protect my chooks.

And I can't just go up a model because chip shortages mean its been discontinued and going up 2 models is prohibitively expensive (of my existing brand). So this morning has been spent discussing the ins & outs of 3 different manufactures and I can no longer continue with the Australian owned & made brand I had wanted to. Bummer.

So I've now got a AUD $879 bill instead of a AUD $614 one.
If you think chickens are cheap, think again!

* side note (technical stuff)

Chicken electric fencing is complex... There are 13 horizontal wires in mine, 12 of those are powered. And each of those 12 contains 3 wires taking current. So a 50m section of electric fence is actually 50×12×3 + 2×12x3 (each end is terminated in a big wire bundle to connect to the next fence or gate or itself.)

The end result is 50m of electric fencing is actually equivalent to 1,872m of wire. And the gate also takes another 3×12×3 (its 1.2m wide so I rounded down) 72m of wire... so 100m + gate is actually 3,816m or 3.8km of wire. So my choice came down to a 5km solution or an 8km solution and with only $30 ex GST in the cost, it makes more sense to go with the 8km solution which punches a little more through and comes with a 10W modern solar panel that charges via daylight (UV) and not direct sunlight only....

my brother is a driving instructor. hopefully that's the bit that is missing...

unless a wheelie bin getting a speeding ticket is the bit that's not crossing the ocean?

else it is my predictive text which takes a lot of guesswork some days . you very nearly had "cruising the ocean" instead of crossing and veto instead of very and....

plus as he is aging my brother is getting more and more like our grandfather... park well away from everyone else at the shops to stop the car being scratched and complains if it rains, snows, goes dark and so on. (you know that car all by itself in the car park... then he'll complain that his back hurts, he's tired, he gets wet when it rains and so on. he's even got our grandfather's cardigans to wear and he's younger than me!

It may be 'wheelie bin' which kaneohegirlinaz didn't understand. Its a trash can which has wheels:

1638181377853.jpeg

Happy 70th Birthday

Just helping you forget.

Have a great day, and I hope you get spoiled.

:laugh: I swear I developed a whole new set of wrinkles and sags overnight!

Nothing special here as there is nobody around to 'spoil' me. ☹️ My daughter popped round to collect a parcel a few days ago and brought me chocolate. Why she thinks I like chocolate I've no idea. I think maybe to be polite I've said I liked it when she gave me some long ago.

I did order some oysters which I'll shuck later and eat all to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom