The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw this is weird and hard to explain but the amount of the cheque my bank gave to the seller is shown on my bank account, so my bank account is now (temporarily and fictiously!) 131k in the red! :laugh: I wanted to take a screenshot because I thought it was hilarious but online banking security setting don't allow that!

I'm perplexed by how bank security can block a screen capture, but just point your smartphone at the screen, and take a picture.

CD

My electric wok just turned up.
50% discount on sale so $75
Last one lost its non stick.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
So I had forgotten about the roasted garlic and bean soup I had for a late lunch yesterday--until this morning while lying in bed. It was quite alarming. They were SBD for sure. At one point, my husband, who is generally a sound sleeper, woke up and said groggily, "So when did we get a dog?"
:laugh::D:angelic:

So I had forgotten about the roasted garlic and bean soup I had for a late lunch yesterday--until this morning while lying in bed. It was quite alarming. They were SBD for sure. At one point, my husband, who is generally a sound sleeper, woke up and said groggily, "So when did we get a dog?"
:laugh::D:angelic:

I learned a tip about soaking beans to remove the "gassiness" better. At the beginning of your overnight soak, put thebeans in cold water in a pan, then bring the water to a boil for a few minutes. You basically "blanch" the beans. Then turn of the heat, and let the beans soak. Something about that quick boil seems to jumpstart the process. I do that now, and it seems to help. I still take Beano right before eating beans.

CD

I learned a tip about soaking beans to remove the "gassiness" better. At the beginning of your overnight soak, put thebeans in cold water in a pan, then bring the water to a boil for a few minutes. You basically "blanch" the beans. Then turn of the heat, and let the beans soak. Something about that quick boil seems to jumpstart the process. I do that now, and it seems to help. I still take Beano right before eating beans.

CD
Yeah, I soaked them for a bit in cold water and then put them in the crockpot on low, so they cooked and soaked overnight.

Taking beano takes all the fun out of it!

We are having chili for dinner tonight! Should be quite romantic :wink:

Cold one this morning, 2F/-17C. Not any wind to speak of, so no windchill. At least there's that.

Cold one this morning, 2F/-17C. Not any wind to speak of, so no windchill. At least there's that.

It is 32F/0C this morning. Not bad. I lit the fireplace last night for psycho-poodle, and ended up rolling out my camping mattress, and sleeping by the fire.

CD

We had frozen water pipes in the crawl space, under the kitchen a few days ago..I went to investigate and discovered that somehow, the foundation window had fallen in..It is under our back deck and closed in so we can't see it... the pipes were exposed to the -31F,( -35C)..So, I had to do the army crawl at 7 in the morning before work to put a small ceramic heater against the section of exposed line..thankfully, I got it going before heading in..gotta love the old post war homes..full of surprises 70 years later

Last edited:
We had frozen water pipes in the crawl space, under the kitchen a few days ago..I went to investigate and discovered that somehow, the foundation window had fallen in..It is under our back deck and closed in so we can't see it... the pipes were exposed to the -31F,( -35C)..So, I had to do the army crawl at 7 in the morning before work to put a small ceramic heater against the section of exposed pipe..thankfully, I got it going before heading into work..gotta love the old post war homes..full of surprises 70 years later

A lot of homes in Texas, especially Southern cities like Houston, have sinks, bathtubs and showers on exterior walls. That puts pipes inside of exterior walls. The "Big Freeze" of February 2021 caused $18-Billion in damages to homes and businesses in Texas, most of it flood damage from burst pipes. I only have one sink on an exterior wall, but the pipes are completely encapsulated in spray foam insulation.

CD

A lot of homes in Texas, especially Southern cities like Houston, have sinks, bathtubs and showers on exterior walls. That puts pipes inside of exterior walls. The "Big Freeze" of February 2021 caused $18-Billion in damages to homes and businesses in Texas, most of it flood damage from burst pipes. I only have one sink on an exterior wall, but the pipes are completely encapsulated in spray foam insulation.

CD
That would be frozen here by November..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom