The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a bit of a mishap last week. When I was cooking a gust of wind blew the umbrella across the stoep and took the laptop with it. The computer shops could not repair the broken keys nor the hard drive so I now have a 512Mb new SSD and I'm operating with an ancillary wireless keyboard. Cheaper than a new laptop.

Presumably you don't have the missing parts from under the keys it the missing keys? Else that type of keyboard can be repaired. It was something I got very good at working in a boarding school for children with learning difficulties who were prone to pulling keys off for the fun of it or putting their fist through the screen of it didn't do what they expected/wanted it to do. I don't miss those times much at all to be honest!

Each key has 2 plastic clips that interlock at the middle and a rubber that needs to go underneath and then slipped into place in the metal slots before the actual key itself is pushed back on.

Presumably you don't have the missing parts from under the keys it the missing keys? Else that type of keyboard can be repaired. It was something I got very good at working in a boarding school for children with learning difficulties who were prone to pulling keys off for the fun of it or putting their fist through the screen of it didn't do what they expected/wanted it to do. I don't miss those times much at all to be honest!

Each key has 2 plastic clips that interlock at the middle and a rubber that needs to go underneath and then slipped into place in the metal slots before the actual key itself is pushed back on.

Unfortunately three of the four white plastic clip things are broken. And one of the rubber thingies is dislodged from it's mounting and presumably needs re-gluing back. I do have an old Acer laptop with fully functional keys but my fingers are too large and dexterity non existent so fiddling with such small components is virtually impossible. My wife is not much better.

I'll get some snaps in the morning when it gets light.

I found out that those clips are interchangeable when my son changed 1 key around at work. Trying g to do e mails and had to go back and try alter
Meanwhile he and another guy were trying to hide their sniggering lol.

Russ

I'll get some snaps in the morning when it gets light.

Yep, that's screwed. Also 1 bit missing for the clips that interlock, and 1 rubber missing. We had a whole box of keyboards at work that wet used to salvage parts from in quieter times and create new functional keyboards from as needed... sadly I don't have access to those parts anymore but if you're not good with fiddly anyway, an external keyboard is your easiest fix. But replacement keyboards for laptops are not expensive or difficult to fit. Usually a few screws and a ribbon that slots into a clip to make the connection.

I found out that those clips are interchangeable when my son changed 1 key around at work. Trying g to do e mails and had to go back and try alter
Meanwhile he and another guy were trying to hide their sniggering lol.

Russ
The one that got my husband time and time again because one of my passwords contained an @ which in the UK keyboard is in a different location to the US/Australian keyboard was when we purchased our first Australian laptop... Being a touch typist but on a UK layout, and unable to buy a UK keyboard for the laptop, I'd put the language over to UK. Hubby was going by what was written on the keys so not getting anywhere with the password... every time I went over and typed in the password, it would work first time... Eventually I say and watched him type in the password, then pulled up notepad and had him repeat! Lots of swearing and questions later...
Needlesd to say, he doesn't fall for it anymore.
The Aussie keyboard is still set to UK language so you just have to know the differences!

Just over 7.5km (8km = 5 miles) walked to cut the lawn over 3 days. I can only manage about 1.25km without a break and 2 sessions a day.

Today was a wet session. It started just after I got the lawnmower working and given the state of the throttle lever which no-one appears to make spares for, I'm loathed to turn it off unnecessarily. The level has now cracked all the way through the main part and is just about holding together at the nut. I'll have to Heath Robinson a repair for the next session of lawn cutting in 2 weeks time because it isn't going to last another round. I'll advertise for a broken lawnmower in the meantime in the hope I can get another of the same make with a different fault!

This is the problem. I'm advertising for a replacement, with handles for the mower of needed! You never know.

Last edited:
... and speaking of not missing California.
My Sister was an unexpected house guest this past Thursday and we were relaxing out back on the patio, chatting. We got on to the subject of moving Mom out of California and closer to DH & I.
My Sister said, "I'm so glad you did that, I HATED just HATED that place! I never liked visiting her there, at all." Funny, Mom said she hated the place too, that's one of the reasons we moved her.
Now, I just hope that I didn't make it too comfortable for my Sister and her husband that they think that can just drop in on us again :stop:
Missus Next Door Neighbor told me I should have told her, "that timeframe doesn't work for us." 💡 Next time ...

Just stopped by to show you my new fridge 🤩 The older one was still working but the freezer was becoming too small for me. The new fridge is also more energy efficient. And it looks gorgeous too. The only downside is I can't reach the top shelf. I can only reach the outermost part of the shelf, closest to the door. So the back of the top shelf will always be empty :laugh:
1653578912328.png

1653578922446.png

Just stopped by to show you my new fridge 🤩 The older one was still working but the freezer was becoming too small for me. The new fridge is also more energy efficient. And it looks gorgeous too. The only downside is I can't reach the top shelf. I can only reach the outermost part of the shelf, closest to the door. So the back of the top shelf will always be empty :laugh:
View attachment 85767
View attachment 85768
That looks great. It’s very tall and slim - I’m not surprised you can’t reach the top. I don’t think I could, either.

Typical Friday morning, no enthusiasm for the day, even our guinea boys didn't get out of bed for their breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom