The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just spent $780 on glasses. Ok. I got fancy frames but my eyes had degenerated 5 points in one eye and 7 in the other since my last visit to the optometrist 6 years ago.

When DLS finished and I had to do a lot of night driving it was scary and when it was raining and dark I was in hell.

So much safer now.
I managed to get mine down to $703 this time around. Last time it was $1155 but I got a couple of offers despite exactly the same frames as 18 months ago, same lenses, polarizing, extra thin multi focal lenses (I have a delicate nose bridge after breaking it about 15 years ago)... in fact the glasses are identical, except for the script. The only difference in price came down to a variety of offers that were applied. My health fund covered $300, so I was only out of pocket by $403 this time around. I tried using the frames from my old totally unused glasses (the $$$$ set were 2 for 1, never worn the second pair) but it was cheaper to buy new identical frames than to reuse my identical unused pair. Oh well.

So the fog has burnt off then!
UK scale is same scale but only uses 0-8.
Australia uses 0-15.

Temperature is still only 5.9°C

I’m signed up for all manner of text alerts from our county emergency notification system. These include weather alerts, police activity, road closures, etc.

Today was a new one (it even said in the text “We’ve never sent one of these before”) - geomagnetic storm warning.

Then it went on to explain that two GM storms from the sun are headed to Earth, expected to arrive tomorrow, and detailed how one storm is faster than the other and will overtake and consume the other, specifically calling it a “cannibal storm.”

Then they go as far as to say, “We don’t really know what to expect tomorrow,” which for folks with active imaginations means everything is on the table, up to and including apocalyptic end of days.

How do they tie up their text:

“Summary: Be informed, don’t panic, be ready, and stay the best version of you that you can be!”

That really sounds like something someone tells you right before you’re going to die. 😆

Googled the geomagnetic storm and what it really means, doesn't sound so bad, but it'll be quite heavy.

Imagine the future cities, were everything is connected with the internet, aren't solar flare proof.

I’m signed up for all manner of text alerts from our county emergency notification system. These include weather alerts, police activity, road closures, etc.

Today was a new one (it even said in the text “We’ve never sent one of these before”) - geomagnetic storm warning.

Then it went on to explain that two GM storms from the sun are headed to Earth, expected to arrive tomorrow, and detailed how one storm is faster than the other and will overtake and consume the other, specifically calling it a “cannibal storm.”

Then they go as far as to say, “We don’t really know what to expect tomorrow,” which for folks with active imaginations means everything is on the table, up to and including apocalyptic end of days.

How do they tie up their text:

“Summary: Be informed, don’t panic, be ready, and stay the best version of you that you can be!”

That really sounds like something someone tells you right before you’re going to die. 😆

I hear that those GM storms take down all kinds of IT hardware and networks. Better get ready for lots of overtime. :eek:

CD

Googled the geomagnetic storm and what it really means, doesn't sound so bad, but it'll be quite heavy.

Imagine the future cities, were everything is connected with the internet, aren't solar flare proof.
I'm pretty sure we won't make it that far as humanity. We seem to be rapidly dooming ourselves collectively. I really hope I am wrong.

Anyone know what's happened to flyinglentris ?
He hasn't been here since May ...
Not sure. I did contact him at the end of June but he never replied either. Sadly all email contact has been removed from his account preferences so any mentions of him or PMs to him won't get to his email. :(

So SatNavSaysStraightOn do you think that he just picked up all his marbles and went to play else where? I don't recall him being upset about anything here at CB ...
I'm not sure. I had noticed that he was getting quieter and quieter on CB. So it could be anything really. People do just loose interest sadly and it could be that, or health problems. Plus I know he was trying to write a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom