The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I'm skipping some details. But I've got an abcess in my lower back that has made it's way to my skin, and it's most likely caused by Ulcerative Colitis that's active for the first time in 5 years.
I’m sorry you’re having to wait that long for an MRI, and I’m hoping you can get some pain relief in the meantime. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

I’m sorry you’re having to wait that long for an MRI, and I’m hoping you can get some pain relief in the meantime. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.
Nope, no extra pain relief because unfortunately abcesses and inflammation don't respond much to pain meds, that's a known fact and explains why my current buprenorfine patches hardly seem to help.
am getting medicine to calm the abcess down which should resolve most of the pain.

The wait for the MRI is because of the covid backlash. And after that I'm either getting immunosuppresants or surgery.

Just checking in. Wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving.
Middle Sister is hosting our dinner. We will be a very small group, five or six. Two brothers and their wives will not be traveling from Colorado. George is hunting with his son in North Louisiana. My Nephew's two children will not be there. Baby Sister, BIL, their two daughters, their husbands and the grandbabies are spending Thanksgiving at a lodge in Arkansas.
I am doing most of the cooking. Sister has been doing a lot of work on her house and does not need to do a lot of cooking. Sis is making the cornbred dressing and dinnerrolls. Today was her daughter's birthday so she has a Dobash cake and an apple pie, Katheryns request. Baby Brother is cooking a turkey. My Aunt will bring a green bean casserole. I am bring my Drunk Pork Roast, Cranberries, Chex Mix for snacking, Savory Sweet Potato Casserole, Pumpkin Pie and salad.
It is late. I am tired. I will check in again soon. Miss you all.

Middle Sister is hosting our dinner. We will be a very small group, five or six. Two brothers and their wives will not be traveling from Colorado. George is hunting with his son in North Louisiana. My Nephew's two children will not be there. Baby Sister, BIL, their two daughters, their husbands and the grandbabies are spending Thanksgiving at a lodge in Arkansas.
I am doing most of the cooking. Sister has been doing a lot of work on her house and does not need to do a lot of cooking. Sis is making the cornbred dressing and dinnerrolls. Today was her daughter's birthday so she has a Dobash cake and an apple pie, Katheryns request. Baby Brother is cooking a turkey. My Aunt will bring a green bean casserole. I am bring my Drunk Pork Roast, Cranberries, Chex Mix for snacking, Savory Sweet Potato Casserole, Pumpkin Pie and salad.
Hope you are well, have fun my dear! :hug:

My wife's family left on Tuesday afternoon, a 12 hour bus journey. Wednesday her niece had to have a COVID test before attending school. Proved positive so my in-laws sensibly had the test also. Again positive. It looks like my wife and I are now quarantined again until next week.

No symptoms as yet.

That sounds amazing, hope you have a lovely time x

Great to hear from you again, we have missed you. Have a good day.

My wife's family left on Tuesday afternoon, a 12 hour bus journey. Wednesday her niece had to have a COVID test before attending school. Proved positive so my in-laws sensibly had the test also. Again positive. It looks like my wife and I are now quarantined again until next week.

No symptoms as yet.
Hope it will be mild for you all! :hug:

Another mass shooting on Tuesday in Virginia, right before Thanksgiving. Six dead, including a sixteen-year boy working at his first job. Add that to the one last week that killed five in Colorado. As an American (and a responsible gun owner), I'm ashamed of the number of these senseless shootings in my country. People around the world must think we Americans are very violent people, even though we aren't -- we just make it too easy for the nut jobs here to get ahold of guns.

Next week, Conservatives and Libertarians will be very busy sending "thoughts and prayers" to the families of the victims, as they refuse to even consider any new restrictions on firearm ownership.

The shooter in Colorado was arrested last year for holding his mother hostage in a standoff with police. His mother apparently did not press charges, so he was able to legally purchase an AR-15 style assault rifle, which he used to mow down 30 people in a nightclub, with five of them ending up dead. A US Army veteran (retired Major) tackled him and disarmed him, or things could have been much worse.

CD

Last edited:
Bought a one year subscription for ''scoolinary'' (60$), a website with tons of high quality videos and in depth knowledge related to food.
TBH I'm not quite sure if it's worth the money, but I can watch the videos while exercising.

Interesting update on the Colorado mass shooting. The Shooter was disarmed by a retired US Army veteran, who was assisted by a US Navy veteran. They beat the crap out of him in the process. Here is his mugshot from the police. He is a BIG dude, and had two guns. The two veterans were completely unarmed -- well, no weapons. They had military training and combat experience.

1669353275312.png

People around the world must think we Americans are very violent people, even though we aren't -- we just make it too easy for the nut jobs here to get ahold of guns.
As a classified Brit who has lived half his life in the UK and the other half of his life in Venezuela, I´m simply confused. In the UK (where almost NO-ONE owns guns, population 63 million), gun crimes averaged about 150 deaths per year, between 2001 - 2020. In Venezuela, where any piece of crap can buy a gun, (population 25 million and sinking) gun crimes between 2001-2015 accounted for more than 13,000 per year (a regular weekend in Caracas produced 200-300 deaths). There were 45,000 gun deaths in the US in 2020. 49,000 in 2021.
The gun/pistol/rifle/whatever was originally designed as a weapon of WAR; ie. designed to be used by trained troops to kill enemies. Guns were probably invented by the Chinese, in the 10th century, but the French probably were the first inventors of the arquebus,in the 13th century, and the bloody English invented the first rifles and automatic guns, in the 19th century.
99.9% of all the Americans I know are wonderful, friendly, non-violent people , and (with the caveat that sociopaths could bluff their way to the presidency of the world) are definitely not nut jobs.
Guns, I repeat, are implements of war. So why are so many countries at war with themselves?

Guns, I repeat, are implements of war. So why are so many countries at war with themselves?

But also handy for hunting, before supermarkets with meat departments. Still handy for hunting, but not out of necessity for all but a few people, but for sport.

But yes, most Americans are not any more violent than people in other modern Western countries. We just make it too easy to get firearms, and get firearms people outside of the military don't really need.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom