The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What´s wrong with bows and arrows?

People still bow hunt for ground animals (obviously not a good option for ducks), but with a bow and arrow, you run a higher risk of wounding an animal without killing it, especially a large animal, like a deer. A rifle has more stopping power, and you can take a second shot in a few seconds, if you need to. The last thing you want to do is have a wounded animal run off into the woods and die slowly and painfully.

With birds, a shotgun sends out pellets that only travel a relatively short distance with a velocity that can kill, so shooting into the air is very safe. If you miss, the pellets falling from the sky will not hurt anyone or anything. The normal shotgun shell used for duck hunting is only lethal for about 40 yards, tops, after that, they just bounce off of whatever you hit.

CD

These two soldiers are real heroes. The problem behind these mass shootings is the mental health.
BTW guns have a very special place in the heart of many us citizens, as the first colts and rifles, that would benefit not just the army, but also normal people, where invented in the us and they made tons of money. It's like the car in Germany

These two soldiers are real heroes. The problem behind these mass shootings is the mental health.
BTW guns have a very special place in the heart of many us citizens, as the first colts and rifles, that would benefit not just the army, but also normal people, where invented in the us and they made tons of money. It's like the car in Germany

Yeah, pretty much every home in Switzerland has at least one gun, but they don't have the problem we have. Better mental health care? Fewer "leaders" stoking anger between different groups? I don't know. Mental illness plus angry rhetoric can't be a good thing.

CD

Our plans yesterday fell on deaf ears. After a 2½ hours driving south, we arrived at our destination just in time for lunch only to find a note pinned to the door saying they were out of food & supplies and would be closed until Tuesday. (They are usually closed on a Monday). This is in a small country town where there are very few options for eating anything vegan, so we ended up at a hotel/pub restaurant. I opted for a pizza minus the dairy stuff which was OK. I would in hindsight have been better off with their sole vegan dish. Oh well.

Left home around 9:30am got home around 5pm. We went around the hydro electric plant exhibition and popped into their cafe as well.

We did do a little Christmas shopping on the way. Each year, we purchase a single bauble usually with the year in it but they are exceptionally hard to find this year, so we just bought 2 standard glass hand painted baubles instead.

Similarly, where has rascal gone?

I'ver had some PM conversations with rascal. I've encouraged him to come back. Maybe he will, but maybe not. JAS_OH and I are not best of friends, so we have not had any conversations. Even though she and I don't get along, I'm sorry to see her gone.

But, that is the nature of Internet forums. People come, people go. All we can do is wish them good health and happiness.

CD

[Mod Comment (TR):] Members take a break from time to time, and both rascal and JAS_OH1 are still full members and free to post, but are choosing not to at this time.

My wife's family left on Tuesday afternoon, a 12 hour bus journey. Wednesday her niece had to have a COVID test before attending school. Proved positive so my in-laws sensibly had the test also. Again positive. It looks like my wife and I are now quarantined again until next week.

No symptoms as yet.

I tested negative for COVID this afternoon so I can go t'pub tomorrow.

I haven't visited the Christmas thread, but it's not in the cafe, so given these are not food related.

We drove south at the weekend, and happened upon a Christmas barn shop. Mostly it was very tacky, plastic, lots of glitter and not our style at all. We were on the hunt for a glass bauble with this year's date on it. We've not been able to locate one at all anywhere, so we thought we'd try. (The previous 5 years in Australia we have found one with the date on it. )

We failed to locate one, so we choose a 3 new baubles (we've broken 2 last year) instead.

We wanted Australian themed ones.
Eucalyptus is as Australian as it gets.

Again, fairly Australian (likely golden wattle).

This one I've photo'ed the front and back because they are distant, but again very Australian. This one is hand painted on the inside.

Again, both are very Australian flowers (banksia, and ?. I'll get one of the local ladies to identify the other flower for me tomorrow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom