The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We nipped into our local ASDA superstore today, now I remember why we don't use it very often, it is massive like a hanger, the staff are surly and some of the customers are 'the great unwashed' :sick:

I am sure their food is good, no issues with that it's just the staff and customers in this particular store that make it an unpleasant place to be.

It rained last night. Or rather the thunderstorm rattled and talked all night long with barely a gap between one series of lightning flashes and the next .often the thunder had not happened before the next flashes of lightning had arrived . Just as we were locking the chickens up the smell of the storm arrived. We had 22.6mm of rain in 1 hour and a total of 27.2mm of rain in total . That should have filled up one of two of our water tanks! The storm was still rumbling around at 5am this morning . I didn't sleep very well. Somewhere between the lightning, thunder, horrendous rain and my chicks complaining about life in general I was kept awake all night . Today we're due a repeat of yesterday but tbh I don't think it will happen. The cloud cover hasn't yet burnt off and we've still got all the windows open because it's colder outside than in.
At least my plants got watered .

It rained last night. Or rather the thunderstorm rattled and talked all night long with barely a gap between one series of lightning flashes and the next .often the thunder had not happened before the next flashes of lightning had arrived . Just as we were locking the chickens up the smell of the storm arrived. We had 22.6mm of rain in 1 hour and a total of 27.2mm of rain in total . That should have filled up one of two of our water tanks! The storm was still rumbling around at 5am this morning . I didn't sleep very well. Somewhere between the lightning, thunder, horrendous rain and my chicks complaining about life in general I was kept awake all night . Today we're due a repeat of yesterday but tbh I don't think it will happen. The cloud cover hasn't yet burnt off and we've still got all the windows open because it's colder outside than in.

Queensland appear to be having a rough time, hope you don't go through the same.

Queensland appear to be having a rough time, hope you don't go through the same.
Queensland and Tasmania ,plus parts of Victoria are all having a rough time . My state is still in a drought . The land here needs a very considerable amount of water before it will be as bad as Queensland (Townsville had 2m of rain in 5 days to cause the current problems ). Our lakes locally are all still dry and we are still in a period of drought with complete fire bans. Right now permits previously obtained for anything using an uncontrollable naked flame (that includes anything that creates a spark) are cancelled. The rain we had was very localised. Canberra had 2.0mm, Braidwood was 6.00mm, Bungendore 5.something, Goulburn 0.0mm yet the mountain range we live on had 27.2mm of rain with more rain (less than 1mm) this morning. It is just the topology that meant last night we got hit really badly .but we needed it badly. We have missed most of the rain recently , just getting dry thunder and lightning (which is much more dangerous ).
The fires in Victoria were all ignited by lightning. These will on the large part have been dry storms which is what we get an awful lot of where we live now .

gong xi fa cai.jpg

Yeah Ozzie has had some crap weather. Beautiful day here, clear blue skies.

Russ
Yep that's what we had yesterday from dawn (6am) until an hour before dusk (7:30pm) when it started to cloud over . Whilst we were putting the chickens to bed the storm started and we could smell the lightning coming . It was a race to get them all locked up before it broke overhead. Luckily we managed to get everything away and vehicles undercover just as the rain arrived . 2 inch diameter hail was forecast otherwise I'd have left the vehicles where they were .luckily it didn't happen, but usually it does . It's clear skies again now but we have the same forecast for tonight.

Yep that's what we had yesterday from dawn (6am) until an hour before dusk (7:30pm) when it started to cloud over . Whilst we were putting the chickens to bed the storm started and we could smell the lightning coming . It was a race to get them all locked up before it broke overhead. Luckily we managed to get everything away and vehicles undercover just as the rain arrived . 2 inch diameter hail was forecast otherwise I'd have left the vehicles where they were .luckily it didn't happen, but usually it does . It's clear skies again now but we have the same forecast for tonight.

You guys are 2 hrs behind us. Btw my son still hasn't got his chooks yet, kids started back school last week. I don't think he's too far away yet.

Russ

You guys are 2 hrs behind us. Btw my son still hasn't got his chooks yet, kids started back school last week. I don't think he's too far away yet.

Russ
We might be behind you time wise but that doesn't mean we are necessarily behind you weather wise!

Most of our good weather comes from the East, our windy weather can come from the East or West but our wet weather is another matter entirely. It generally comes from the South, with a little of it coming down from the North. That's the storm direction when it hits us, not necessarily where it originated from .

Very similar here though I slept like a stone.

I generously sprinkled lime in my tomato patch yesterday at the start of the rain. Lots of plant & little fruit so I’m hoping this is the right move.

I generously sprinkled lime in my tomato patch yesterday at the start of the rain. Lots of plant & little fruit so I’m hoping this is the right move
That is a sign of too much nitrogen. Tomatoes need to be starved of nutrients once they start to fruit otherwise they are just leaf and growth (and often unripe fruit ).it's one of the reasons there are dedicated grow bags for tomatoes . Plenty of nutrients released quickly and at the growing stage of the plant , then they get starved of nutrients in particular nitrogen (the classic fertiliser) so that they "think" they are going to die and fruit to ensure seeds are shown for the next cycle to happen.
They are not meant to be planted after beans or peas or in clover or the stuff you sown to dig into the soil. Ideally tomatoes shouldn't be planted in the ground because of this constant access to nutrients and minerals. It's why they are ideally suited to raised beds, pots and hanging baskets .

My grandfather grew tomatoes extensively and exhibited them as well . I used to live with them.

That is a sign of too much nitrogen. Tomatoes need to be starved of nutrients once they start to fruit otherwise they are just leaf and growth (and often unripe fruit ).it's one of the reasons there are dedicated grow bags for tomatoes . Plenty of nutrients released quickly and at the growing stage of the plant , then they get starved of nutrients in particular nitrogen (the classic fertiliser) so that they "think" they are going to die and fruit to ensure seeds are shown for the next cycle to happen.
They are not meant to be planted after beans or peas or in clover or the stuff you sown to dig into the soil. Ideally tomatoes shouldn't be planted in the ground because of this constant access to nutrients and minerals. It's why they are ideally suited to raised beds, pots and hanging baskets .

My grandfather grew tomatoes extensively and exhibited them as well . I used to live with them.

Home grown freshly picked tomatoes are just delicious :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom