The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it has more to do with the sun. Trying to think of a way to explain but falling because I've not fully worked it out myself

Maybe its that the sun moves and the moon doesn't? No - that's not right.

Maybe we on earth and the moon revolve around the sun. So the sun changes but not the moon. That doesn't seem right either.

Here is what I found:

...all of us around the world have the Full Moon and all the moon phases – peaking at the same time.

The Moon, of course, orbits the Earth, which in turn orbits the Sun. The peak of the Full Moon is when the Moon is opposite the Sun 180 degrees away. Therefore the Full Moon (and the other moon phases) occurs at the same time, regardless of where you are located on Earth.

Last edited:
Maybe its that the sun moves and the moon doesn't? No - that's not right.
I'm so glad you concluded that the sun has a stationary orbit (obviously it also revolves (I think) ) and that we revolve around it...
Then the moon revolves around the earth... honest. :wink:

After that I'll need diagrams to work out full moon around the world because I had it incorrect as well.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you concluded that the sun has a stationary orbit (obviously it also revolves (I think) ) and that we revolve around it...
Then the moon revolves around the earth... honest. :wink:

After that I'll need diagrams to work out full moon around the world because I had it incorrect as well.

All week there has been a lot of programmes devoted to the moon and the moon landing, it has also been quite a topic of conversation in here too, it fascinates me so much.

All week there has been a lot of programmes devoted to the moon and the moon landing, it has also been quite a topic of conversation in here too, it fascinates me so much.

I find the opposite (yawn!). My most hated TV coverage is tennis. I hate the game and we were forced to watch the coverage in school (black and white TV) on hot afternoons in stuffy classrooms. Plus, other TV programmes are cancelled to make way for it.

We finally had a decent downpour yesterday. We probably need another 10 days of the same but we have blue skies today. This was our main reservoir a few days ago.

And this is the current situation in the country as a whole (our reservoir is too small to be significant).

Thailand drought.jpg

And we are three months into the wet season!

And this is the current situation in the country as a whole (our reservoir is too small to be significant).

View attachment 29722

And we are three months into the wet season!
We're still in a draught here in NSW and winery is meant to be our wet season. I'm lucky here up on the hillside because we are often in low cloud at night. So despite the freezing conditions it is usually damp in the morning which is keeping the soil damp. It's warm enough most days for grass/crops to grow but like I said we're lucky. My tanks tanks are full but the two dams to the side of me are virtually dry. The same applies all around us. They should be full and the local lakes have water in them, but they are dry. You could in theory walk across them. Ironic because there are several memorials to entire families who drowned on these lakes decades ago. Today you're more likely to die from dehydration trying to cross the lake.
Most farmers can't even keep grass alive here now even in winter. They now have to plant winter crops, usually wheat or similar, for their animals to eat. Even here with the low clouds watering the ground ever so slightly, they have to plough and sew field after field. Further inland the situation is even worse. Only tbe first range of mountains and only on the sea side of those are getting regular rain and have rivers with water in them.

I'm back in the UK for the August bank holiday and am looking forward to it raining!

We're still in a draught here in NSW and winery is meant to be our wet season. I'm lucky here up on the hillside because we are often in low cloud at night. So despite the freezing conditions it is usually damp in the morning which is keeping the soil damp. It's warm enough most days for grass/crops to grow but like I said we're lucky. My tanks tanks are full but the two dams to the side of me are virtually dry. The same applies all around us. They should be full and the local lakes have water in them, but they are dry. You could in theory walk across them. Ironic because there are several memorials to entire families who drowned on these lakes decades ago. Today you're more likely to die from dehydration trying to cross the lake.
Most farmers can't even keep grass alive here now even in winter. They now have to plant winter crops, usually wheat or similar, for their animals to eat. Even here with the low clouds watering the ground ever so slightly, they have to plough and sew field after field. Further inland the situation is even worse. Only tbe first range of mountains and only on the sea side of those are getting regular rain and have rivers with water in them.

I'm back in the UK for the August bank holiday and am looking forward to it raining!

Its hardly rained at all here for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom