The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to the conclusion that Kent is perfect for me.

My daughter mentioned on Farcebook recently when I complained it was getting chilly overnight - You're from Yorkshire dad - you taught us to get a blanket and a jumper ... then, only reach for the heating once you can actually see your own breath!

I've changed.

I've seen portable rolling AC units that slide into any window. I wonder if they work well. They're kind of pricey. Some you have to empty the water too. They have an ugly hose that goes into the window. Any recommendations?

Eddie Money Passes at 70 :(

Two tickets to paradise

Baby hold on

I've seen portable rolling AC units that slide into any window. I wonder if they work well. They're kind of pricey. Some you have to empty the water too. They have an ugly hose that goes into the window. Any recommendations?
Don't...
Given my background working in IT, I have experienced a lot of aircon over the years. It had to run 24/7 365. Never a moment without it and virtually always at its lowest temperature. In my last place during the hotter parts of summer (Surrey/Hampshire border in the UK), because of the direction of the windows in the server room (even though it was frosted glass bricks, not glazing & windows in a server room are a no no anyway) we used to run into all kinds of problems. It was not uncommon for me to have to turn servers off because the air con couldn't cope. The wall unit would often ice up trying to cope and the backup unit was a 'portable unit' with a hose to a hole where one of those bricks had had to be removed by maintenance . That unit still gave me as many problems as the wall units.

If a wall unit is leaking into the room, it's time to get it serviced. They should never leak into the room. They are designed to drip externally. That's what the unit outside usually on the roof is for (they come in 2 parts).

Best to get it serviced now before it breaks down. (ours leaked directly onto all of the electrical cables for the servers causing a fire in the server room the first time it happened, luckily my co worker walked through the room in its very early stages so we didn't lose too much, but it was the wake up call the school needed! ). Experience also says that it will break down during three hottest days when you need it the most and repair crews are at their busiest.

Window A/C conditioners (at least in the US) are pretty crappy. They're really only meant to cool a single room, they can't really do that, they're generally noisy, and the weatherstripping around them lasts about a month before it starts breaking down, and you're left with big gaps all around that'll easily allow plenty of bugs and outside air back in.

If my central A/C conked out tomorrow and I didn't have the money to fix it, maybe I'd put one in the bedroom, but it would be with the understanding that it was temporary until I could get the main unit fixed.

We have ours serviced twice a year, on a maintenance plan, and it's been worth every penny. Both neighbors either side of me, same builder, same style house, and same HVAC system, didn't maintain theirs and both have had to have theirs replaced - mine is 14 years old and still going strong. The only issue will be if it develops a leak, because the refrigerant it used is no longer available, so I won't be able to have it recharged.

Speaking of server rooms - when I worked in a more traditional IT shop, that's always where I had my desk set up. Those were always about 65F and on top of that, no one would come in there unless they had to because of the temp. :)

Re the hvac unit. In a condo part of the unit is on the roof (common area) and the other part is in a closet in my unit. Furnace? The wood floor inside the closet is what gets wet. I had it serviced right before summer, as preventative maintenance. Changing filter, replenishment of low coolant etc. He told me the leak is caused by backup from the other units in line with mine, & the HOA would have to clear it. The leak is very small compared to the year before, but not sure if this is normal.

Window A/C conditioners (at least in the US) are pretty crappy. They're really only meant to cool a single room, they can't really do that, they're generally noisy, and the weatherstripping around them lasts about a month before it starts breaking down, and you're left with big gaps all around that'll easily allow plenty of bugs and outside air back in.

If my central A/C conked out tomorrow and I didn't have the money to fix it, maybe I'd put one in the bedroom, but it would be with the understanding that it was temporary until I could get the main unit fixed.

We have ours serviced twice a year, on a maintenance plan, and it's been worth every penny. Both neighbors either side of me, same builder, same style house, and same HVAC system, didn't maintain theirs and both have had to have theirs replaced - mine is 14 years old and still going strong. The only issue will be if it develops a leak, because the refrigerant it used is no longer available, so I won't be able to have it recharged.

Speaking of server rooms - when I worked in a more traditional IT shop, that's always where I had my desk set up. Those were always about 65F and on top of that, no one would come in there unless they had to because of the temp. :)
Last time my central AC guy came out, I had to give him several towels, and a pot. He cut the pipe, drained the water into the pot, sealed the pipe, and went on the roof with a tank of CO2? - as I recall. They usually can't come out for a week. Anyone else have that problem? Crossing my fingers and holding my breath.

Last summer the heat was torture, 35 to 39 deg c , the kids couldn't sleep, while on holiday with the family.raining there today, two weeks into spring. Too wet to get out in the garden. Seeds are germinating.

Russ

My daughter mentioned on Farcebook recently when I complained it was getting chilly overnight - You're from Yorkshire dad - you taught us to get a blanket and a jumper ... then, only reach for the heating once you can actually see your own breath!

I've changed.

I have a friend who calls it poo pourri book,lol.

Russ

Last summer the heat was torture, 35 to 39 deg c , the kids couldn't sleep, while on holiday with the family.raining there today, two weeks into spring. Too wet to get out in the garden. Seeds are germinating.

Russ
Send us some of your rain please. Winter done, next to none (seriously) . None so far for spring. Fire season brought forward again (total fire bans threatened soon, already seen very high risk of fire in this area last week)...
Seeds planted yesterday, now in dog cage you protect from very hungry rosellas and cockatoos, not to mention chooks)

Send us some of your rain please. Winter done, next to none (seriously) . None so far for spring. Fire season brought forward again (total fire bans threatened soon, already seen very high risk of fire in this area last week)...
Seeds planted yesterday, now in dog cage you protect from very hungry rosellas and cockatoos, not to mention chooks)

Yeah two days of rain, can't complain as winter was almost non existent. Seeds were planted 3 weeks ago, corn appearing now in the greenhouse. Clothes still on the washing line soaking wet.

Russ

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Out and about today, the cornfields are already about 25% brown, and the soybean fields are almost totally brown. Really starting to look like Autumn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom