The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never watched a single episode of The Great British Bake Off, but I saw something about it in the paper today and discovered that the person who won it is someone I sort-of know.

Sort-of, because I've not actually met him, but we've exchanged emails in the past. It's a chap called David Atherton and he works for VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas). I've done a few VSO stints and still have the odd bit of correspondence with them.

So there's my claim to fame by faint recognition.

I've never watched a single episode of The Great British Bake Off, but I saw something about it in the paper today and discovered that the person who won it is someone I sort-of know.

Sort-of, because I've not actually met him, but we've exchanged emails in the past. It's a chap called David Atherton and he works for VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas). I've done a few VSO stints and still have the odd bit of correspondence with them.

So there's my claim to fame by faint recognition.

He talks about his work here: GBBO winner David reveals how charity work prepared him for the show

Whoo-weee! It's 39F with winds strong enough to bring the "feels like" temp to 27F.

Hello, Winter, my old friend
I never thought that Summer would end
Give me a kiss from that cold North wind
Hello Winter, Winter, Winter, come on in!

Whoo-weee! It's 39F with winds strong enough to bring the "feels like" temp to 27F.

There was a slight bite in the air today. I even put black tights on (with denim shorts over the top). I'm sure that is wrong at my age. I prefer a bit of chill. Not too much though.

Just quoting myself to add that...now it's spitting snow! ❄️!

Did my week in Herm recently, fishing, drinking and carousing. Had lots of fun as usual, although the fishing was poor.

Off to Herm again tomorrow with Mrs Wyshiepoo, we're attending a murder mystery in the White House Hotel. Starts tomorrow and concludes on Sunday.
So very 'Agatha Christie', we're stuck on an island with a murderer or murderers and we have to work out who dun it.

Meals all thrown in so I'll try and take a few piccies.

Off to Herm again tomorrow with Mrs Wyshiepoo, we're attending a murder mystery in the White House Hotel. Starts tomorrow and concludes on Sunday.
So very 'Agatha Christie', we're stuck on an island with a murderer or murderers and we have to work out who dun it.

I would love that!

Warmest day so far here today. We hit 34.1°C. Due thunder and storms tomorrow night and Sunday. They are still predicting 10-20mm of rain on Sunday. If it happens it will be excellent. Mind you if any rain happens it will be excellent.

The less great news is that having prevented one chook from going fully broody, I now have another going broody. This one is a bantam going round for her 4th attempt already this season. She's part feral cat crossed with an anorexic birch of a model (she's named Miss Prim for a reason). No way is she raising chicks. If I can't stop hey being broody, I'll have to remove any chicks from her when they hatch and hand rear them. Mind you that will be risking life and limb just to do that!

Today, it's currently 31F/-1C, heading to 46F/8C. No rain, just overcast.

No kids last night for Halloween, so what little candy is left from our bag o' mixed treats is ours, free and clear. :)

I've been on call this week and did get paged at 1AM. Weird, because I was in the middle of a very strange dream where either my dad or his dad had murdered nearly everyone in the family (it kept switching between the two of them) and there were newspapers and TV crews all over everyone.

Lucky for me, I suppose, I was able to fix what was broken in just around an hour, although 3/4th's of that time was simply getting logged in and acknowledging all the automated alerts that went out, and then doing a bit of research. Of course, hard to get to bed after that, and then the dog had me up at 5:30AM to go out and then get fed.

MrsTasty booked our tickets for the Ceremony Of The Keys at the Tower Of London during our break in May 2020.

Tickets for May opened at 8PM our time last night, and in the five or six minutes it took to complete our reservations, all the Saturdays sold out, and the Fridays were dangerously close. They're probably sold out by now.

We did this once before, in 2009, and it's a very interesting procedure to attend.

Ceremony of the Keys (London) - Wikipedia

MrsTasty booked our tickets for the Ceremony Of The Keys at the Tower Of London during our break in May 2020.

Tickets for May opened at 8PM our time last night, and in the five or six minutes it took to complete our reservations, all the Saturdays sold out, and the Fridays were dangerously close. They're probably sold out by now.

We did this once before, in 2009, and it's a very interesting procedure to attend.

Ceremony of the Keys (London) - Wikipedia

And I'd never even heard of it!

We probably had 300 trick or treaters come by.
Rarely neighborhood kids, people drive to our neighborhood from distant places.
Neighbors take it to the next level with barbecues and shenanigans.
Traffic jam up and down the street.

Next year we’ll give out Pocky Biscuit Sticks pacs instead of candy.

6F67199D-E119-4585-A0B9-012A96D92213.jpeg

Some clever creative costumes.

Last edited:
Weird, because I was in the middle of a very strange dream where either my dad or his dad had murdered nearly everyone in the family (it kept switching between the two of them) and there were newspapers and TV crews all over everyone.
Looks to me like you have been watching too many of those scary movies. If I was you, I would watch a few movies with your wife. lol

Great day here, we're about to drive 2 1/2 hrs to kaikoura . It's the race circuit here, trots Sunday Monday up there, Melbourne cup on Tuesday then nz cup following Tuesday. It's massive here. 10 of us driving up. We stop for lunch at st Anne's lagoon . 28 deg c predicted for cup day on Monday. I made club sammys as my contribution.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom