The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy rain has stopped but the wind has picked up, a few local firework displays have been cancelled due to the expected gail force winds.

The downside to our guinea boys living upstairs is that they don't get sunlight at thus time of year so we like to bring them downstairs as often as we can so the get some sun on them.

Ahhh.
Not fair. I can't go swimming today and I was really looking forward to doing so.

The last few days, my left hip had been hurting me really badly but it would ease off by mid afternoon, grumble again around dark and then be fine the next morning until I did anything.

Last night was different however. It went clunk in the night and had been excruciatingly painful ever since. It's not weight bearing at all today and I'm only just managing to keep the pain at acceptable levels. If it stays like this it's going to have to be a hospital visit this afternoon. Hubby had gone to do the shopping and go swimming without me. :cry: for not being able to go swimming and again :cry: for the pain. Annoyingly I don't have my cookbook handy to write up my recipes either! One I might be able to remember, but the other I haven't a hope with.

With us having a new carpet fitted we have brought our guinea boys downstairs away from the noise and our cat isn't happy...she doesn't like the weird noisy things that scamper around.

Glorious day today - clear blue skies and glorious sunshine, crisp autumn air. A perfect day for a trip to Cambridge for lunch.
It was the same here. Started off at 4°C. So very glad for the fire but I let that go out. It didn't get above 20°C here today, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Not a good day to be in the garden unless you're a plant loving full sunshine. Everything survived the frosty start. But now it's 20°C still and that's a gale blowing in. Still cloudless, the moonlit gives that away but that's a storm warning for a large area.

I get to go out tomorrow to pickup eggs for our broody chook. She's sitting zoned out on 2 wooden eggs right now, but curiously still laid an egg this afternoon just not in the nest of eggs she's sing on, go figure and when you have worked it out, please let me know. She then returned to the eggs to return to sitting on them. Chooks! She's definitely broody and wanting to sit. It's her 5th attempt this season already, so we've given in and are getting her fertile eggs to sit on. I'll get some spare while I'm at it because I can hear her sister going broody as well. Her noises have changed from a clucking to a bop, bop, bopping. I'm just being she'll be broody by the weekend as well! Chooks are curious like that. When 1 starts to sit, they all start sitting...

Whooo! It's on its way to 55F today, then an overnight plunge down to 20F, proper snow in the forecast tomorrow, and predicted to go down to 15F the next night.

We usually celebrate the first snow of the season with fondue - I have a feeling it's going to be a cheesy weekend!

That was best described as one hair-raisingly wild journeys home.

It's beautiful sunshine. Blue skies but blowing a hooley. Sustained winds in excess of 90kph (80kph=50mph). The gusts are blowing lorries, double length tankers, oversized lorries with you name it, and everyone else off the road. Forget lane control, it's hard enough staying on the dual carriageway with full width hard shoulder as it was.

There'd been what looked like either a fatal accident or lengthy stay in ICU on my way out which is the more sheltered route and the one I normally use. Lorry embedded in a tree on the central reservation. Luckily it is a wide central reservation and no other vehicles involved. Air ambulance on scene (also in the central reservation close to major power lines because fastest section), powered down so not a good sign.

So I came home the other way. Imagine a Y . My destination is at the bottom of the Y. My home between the two branches but closer to one than the other, hence our preference for direction. So I had the option to come home another route. But it is much more exposed, higher up as well and gives me an extra 20km of dirt roads.

The wind is that bad that the lorries are not doing the speed limit. That's always a bad sign in Australia. These vehicles need to cover 1,000km a day to make a living. They are limited to 10hrs total driving and are permitted to do 110kph, same as everyone else (some states it is 100kph max for everyone but not NSW). When they are not doing the limit you know out is bad.. then up hill on the exposed side to home... all for 1 of my chooks!

Glad to be home safely. Gusts are apparently in 3 figures, 110kph is forecast. No rain, no clouds, just blue skies, sunshine and a lot of dust.

That was best described as one hair-raisingly wild journeys home.

It's beautiful sunshine. Blue skies but blowing a hooley. Sustained winds in excess of 90kph (80kph=50mph). The gusts are blowing lorries, double length tankers, oversized lorries with you name it, and everyone else off the road. Forget lane control, it's hard enough staying on the dual carriageway with full width hard shoulder as it was.

There'd been what looked like either a fatal accident or lengthy stay in ICU on my way out which is the more sheltered route and the one I normally use. Lorry embedded in a tree on the central reservation. Luckily it is a wide central reservation and no other vehicles involved. Air ambulance on scene (also in the central reservation close to major power lines because fastest section), powered down so not a good sign.

So I came home the other way. Imagine a Y . My destination is at the bottom of the Y. My home between the two branches but closer to one than the other, hence our preference for direction. So I had the option to come home another route. But it is much more exposed, higher up as well and gives me an extra 20km of dirt roads.

The wind is that bad that the lorries are not doing the speed limit. That's always a bad sign in Australia. These vehicles need to cover 1,000km a day to make a living. They are limited to 10hrs total driving and are permitted to do 110kph, same as everyone else (some states it is 100kph max for everyone but not NSW). When they are not doing the limit you know out is bad.. then up hill on the exposed side to home... all for 1 of my chooks!

Glad to be home safely. Gusts are apparently in 3 figures, 110kph is forecast. No rain, no clouds, just blue skies, sunshine and a lot of dust.
Glad you made it home!

Ahhh.
Not fair. I can't go swimming today and I was really looking forward to doing so.

The last few days, my left hip had been hurting me really badly but it would ease off by mid afternoon, grumble again around dark and then be fine the next morning until I did anything.

Last night was different however. It went clunk in the night and had been excruciatingly painful ever since. It's not weight bearing at all today and I'm only just managing to keep the pain at acceptable levels. If it stays like this it's going to have to be a hospital visit this afternoon. Hubby had gone to do the shopping and go swimming without me. :cry: for not being able to go swimming and again :cry: for the pain. Annoyingly I don't have my cookbook handy to write up my recipes either! One I might be able to remember, but the other I haven't a hope with.

Swimming, or just floating in a pool is good for body pain. It takes gravity out of the equation. But, Neither you or your hubby -- or anyone should EVER swim alone.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom