The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue skies, very warm already and its just 10am. But it is the wind thay is the problem. Very windy, as in bringing trees down windy. Sustained 60-70kph gusting 90kph... I've given up outside. Too warm, too sunny (UV problems) and simply too windy. It's whipping up the dry soil/dust into a sand blaster and it's awful. Visibility is starting to be affected and it wasn't great to start off with today what with smoke in the sky.

I would love to be outside on the veranda, but it is simply too windy.

That's heading our way this evening! Can't wait!

It got here this morning. At 10AM, I was out in the yard with my dog in short sleeves -- about 66F. At 11AM, the winds shifted to the North, and got really strong -- 30-50MPH. By Noon it was 40F, and by 4PM it was 33F. Right now, it is 24F. With the wind chill effect, it feels like 13F. But, at least it is dry.

CD

That was one wild day. I managed from 7-9am in the veg plot before it became too windy, too hot and just nasty. No way the wet washing was being hung on the line. It would have been neither clean nor on the line by the time lunchtime came because tbe winds were that bad they whipped up the dusty into a mass of cloud blocking out the sun completely. Temperatures dropped 10°C in an hour. And it stayed thay way until about 5pm when they're wa a shift in the wind, they sky started to clear and visibility returned. By the time hubby was home, there was no evidence of the storm. We had blue skies, a light breeze with occasional strong gusts and a pleasant temp of 20°C!

I've still got wet washing in the washing machine though! And the internet took a while to come back. I lost it during the storm.

We also lost internet (WiFi service) for a couple of hours last night.

It was nearly 60F yesterday when I was out running around, had the windows down in the car, and right now, it's 23F/-5C with a wind chill of 12F/-11C, and we're headed to a real temp of 12F later today.

Currently 20F/-5C with a windchill of 7F/-14C and the temps are dropping. I wouldn't be surprised if we set a record today.

Currently 20F/-5C with a windchill of 7F/-14C and the temps are dropping. I wouldn't be surprised if we set a record today.
I dream of those temperatures. We used to go camping in them a lot (basic camping in a ground tent that was sit up high in only). It was amazing. The lowest we camped in was -19°C (-3°F) one Christmas. We had a stunning time in the mountains that year. Real crampons and ice axe weather, back when I still had a film camera. I was shooting a roll or two every day.

I've also solo camped in -15°C (+5°F) in February 2006 up in Scotland. That time not only was I solo camping (no mobile signal) but I was also camping wild in what was my childhood playground. It was great to see someone living in our old home after many years of it being vacant. He was taking great care of the place and it was the best I had seen it looking in a long time.

Sadly those sort temperatures had become so rare in the UK that we stopped going on holiday camping over the Christmas period because it was setting too many records for rain instead of snow. It would come much later in the season (earlier the following calendar year, Feb or March instead) so we would get it whilst staying at a friend's place in Scotland usually for our Easter holiday instead.

Can someone please explain to me why, when it is 4°C outside, I'm going out to do the gardening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom