The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last week, I have had the flush valves on two of my toilets go bad. I have one working toilet left. I need some time off to go to the hardware store for new flush valves. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

CD

Kinda know the feeling, daughter and her son taken over my downstairs, bathroom is hers fitted with higher seat, (hip replacement) so I'm like the dog, corner of the action for a leak!!

Russ

10:30am and it has passed 35°C. It's still only 23°C indoors but by this afternoon and into the evening it will match the outside temperature.

It's the extremes at this time of year that are so hard to deal with, humans, animals (birds included etc) and plants alike.

Every spare drop of water is collected and stored until evening when I can get it onto the plants that need it. I can't water during the day or even after 7am because the solar heat and the UV rays are so very fierce. The first rays this morning had both of us commenting on their warmth. Usually it doesn't start to get that warm until later (passed 8am that is). Any drops of water on leaves act as magnifying glasses for the sun and actually burn the leaves of what had been watered, so I water last thing at night, after I have locked up the chooks and just before insect life gets too active. It gives plants chance to absorb the water and use it before the heat of the next day. Soapy water is totally fine for most of my plants. Flowers it isn't a problem for and anything not yet bearing 'fruit'. Once they start to produce a crop I try to keep the water as clean as possible. But all shower water, dish water and anything used to rinse anything is kept. Only actually cleaning water with chemicals in it goes down the drain into the sceptic tank. That way I can actually have a garden in a drought. Luckily I have an understanding husband, but were always recycled water so he's also used to it now.

20 c here, I'm in the process of killing ants, soapy water squirted into holes I find. Every hour or so. I'm getting on top of them.

Russ

Hey rascal. Looks like it's been a bad day in NZ. I hope the death toll doesn't keep growing.

CD

Hey rascal. Looks like it's been a bad day in NZ. I hope the death toll doesn't keep growing.

CD

Yeah, 5 dead 8 missing, 31 hospitalised. Thoughts are with families.

Fire ants, not here, well yet . Just plain worker ants, we have a cobblestone area near the front door, the tell tale signs are sand build up around a hole. I don't normally bother them, but a few showing up near the front door so a bit of culling.the lil bugger said sure are workers, man they travel!!

Russ

It's 29°C in the house. It's 18°C outside and we can't have a single door or window open because around 6pm the smoke came back. I knew even before I opened the blinds. The smell hit me and set my asthma off again. Hubby had had to buy extra inhalers and we've had to get more salbutamol nebules for my nebulizer. I've not had to use this many ever before!
:(

There are a few people here with colds, they can stay away this close to Christmas :mad:
My hubby always gets ill for the first 3-4 days of any holiday. I think it's because he finally stops, relaxes and life catches up. He usually just sleeps in and don't even bother try having a conversation with him. Single word answers of more than a syllable are beyond him. He just looks at you blankly...

Lol I see I am not the only one down with the sickness.. I went to the ER yesterday because I had a high heart rate and was having difficulty breathing, turns out I have been walking with severe tonsilitis and some other throat infection for three months straight. I'm used to going on when I am ill so that turned out not to be such a brilliant thing. Have to rest up on antibiotics for a week now.

Lol I see I am not the only one down with the sickness.. I went to the ER yesterday because I had a high heart rate and was having difficulty breathing, turns out I have been walking with severe tonsilitis and some other throat infection for three months straight. I'm used to going on when I am ill so that turned out not to be such a brilliant thing. Have to rest up on antibiotics for a week now.

:hug:

One of my colleagues has been off sick with norovirus and heavy cold, her husband and their daughter now have the sickness bug so she is staying well away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom