The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really...brisk this morning - 18F/-8C. Brrrr... :cold:

Even the dog, instead of her usual 15 minute ramble round the yard, decided a 60-second bathroom break was quite enough, thank you very much.

I got up this afternoon, spotted that the skies were blue (as opposed to smoke filled haze if orange) and opened the windows and doors because I could see for miles literally.
Went out in there car to collect hubby and within a minute, knew I had made a mistake. The smoke was rolling back in. They're was a lovely orange hazy sun where I collect him, but you could smell and taste the smoke. Sadly i didn't make it back home in time to stop the house filling with smoke. Lesson learnt. Grrr. I was only gone 30 minutes.

Even the dog, instead of her usual 15 minute ramble round the yard, decided a 60-second bathroom break was quite enough, thank you very much.

I woke up to 32F, which is easy to convert -- 0C. I reckon if we ever get to 100C, it will be preceded by four horseman. :eek::D

CD

That's pretty cold indeed. Keep going though, you might have a white christmas!

Here's it's just been grey skies and rain since forever.

I got up this afternoon, spotted that the skies were blue (as opposed to smoke filled haze if orange) and opened the windows and doors because I could see for miles literally.
Went out in there car to collect hubby and within a minute, knew I had made a mistake. The smoke was rolling back in. They're was a lovely orange hazy sun where I collect him, but you could smell and taste the smoke. Sadly i didn't make it back home in time to stop the house filling with smoke. Lesson learnt. Grrr. I was only gone 30 minutes.

The fires are really bad aren't they :(

The fires are really bad aren't they :(
Yes. Very bad.
There is a new rating on the healthy air map monitor after hazardous (relating to air quality). They've just called it 'terrible'. I don't think they knew what else to put!

The one where I used to live is now 38,000 hectares and the one on the coast is over 88,000 hectares. But they are small compared to the Sydney fires. The Sydney fires are now encroaching into the suburbs of Sydney as well. All we can do is hope that there is not a repeat of the Canberra fires 15 or so years ago.

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon I gradually got a case of the chills, and my joints started to ache a little. I turned up the thermostats to 72F, put on long sweat pants and a heavy long sleeve shirt, and was still cold. I checked, and had a fever. But, no cold or flu symptoms. I went to bed early, and wrapped up in a quilt, and still felt a chill.

By noon today, I felt fine. Really weird. I have no idea what that was all about.

CD

Beautiful sat here on the stoep this afternoon. Clear blue skies, a slight wind and 30°C.

I woke during the night and coming back into the bedroom I could detect a faint smell of smoke, so woke hubby as per our agreement. I can't currently move very fast or shut the heavier (aka broken sash) windows that we prop open on lengths of dowling. We've woken this morning to dense smoke from the fires again, so I had to wake hubby again. He's put some fencing up for the chicks to have more space, but there's no gate. That means I can't open up the chickens right now because I am not meant to be moving around too much, nor twisting, nor bending over and certainly no lifting... So climbing a fence isn't on the agenda either! Like every true gentleman he went out without much on and came back to ask me to remind him to only climb wire fences wearing something on the lower half next time. I have pictures in my mind now of him wearing a pair of socks tomorrow morning!

I woke during the night and coming back into the bedroom I could detect a faint smell of smoke,

It was on the UK news today that Aus may be set to get the highest temperatures on record since 1960 in the next few days. The highest ever maximum temperature for the continent stands at 50.7C, set on 2 January 1960 - says the Independent newspaper. Hope its not that bad where you are.

I woke during the night and coming back into the bedroom I could detect a faint smell of smoke, so woke hubby as per our agreement. I can't currently move very fast or shut the heavier (aka broken sash) windows that we prop open on lengths of dowling. We've woken this morning to dense smoke from the fires again, so I had to wake hubby again. He's put some fencing up for the chicks to have more space, but there's no gate. That means I can't open up the chickens right now because I am not meant to be moving around too much, nor twisting, nor bending over and certainly no lifting... So climbing a fence isn't on the agenda either! Like every true gentleman he went out without much on and came back to ask me to remind him to only climb wire fences wearing something on the lower half next time. I have pictures in my mind now of him wearing a pair of socks tomorrow morning!
In the colder months, I wear an ankle-length flannel nightshirt (like from 150 years ago - MrsTasty calls it my "sleeping dress").

A few years ago, the one I had was getting raggedy and had a rip way up the side, like a sexy dress. It came up a storm and I had to run out and get the trash bins before they blew away.

As soon as I got near them, the wind picked up and blew one of them out into and down the street, and I started chasing it, and just as I got a hold of it, another gust blew and forced my nightshirt up over my head, and the way it was cut, it got all tangled in my arms and I started fighting with it, but I couldn't get it undone, then I slipped and fell down, then the other trash can blew on top of me.

I finally managed to get an arm free and grabbed the trash can for support, rolled over and ended up straddling it and kind of half-walking/half-riding it back into the driveway.

My wife still says the single funniest thing she's ever seen is her bare-assed husband, in a dress, fighting with a trash can in the middle of our street in the middle of a storm.

Left sons place last night around 9.30 pm. Sky had a red tinge from Australian fires. Yip, we can see the haze from here. 25 deg c here today so Thai chicken salad here tonight.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom