The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 60F outside at 7:40PM, but colder than that inside. I spoke sharply to the wife earlier and she's putting the frost on.

She, by her own admission, hates to get out of her chair once she's settled in, and she's developed a rather unpleasant habit of expecting me to carry in her dirty dishes every time I get up for something.

What started as, "Would you mind taking this in on your way?" has now developed into just silently holding up plates and wiggling them as I walk by, many times while my hands are full, so I finally reminded her that I'm not a waiter and she would do well to shift her backside and carry her own plates into the kitchen.

Let's just say it's been a quiet evening since.🤭

Last edited:
The tornado sirens were sounding for about ten minutes. Rotation was spotted on Doppler radar about 15 miles South of me, but it didn't develop enough to become a tornado.

So far, it has been a pretty mild storm system.

CD

Do you use an app to monitor storms? If so what is it please?

Russ

Yesterday we went into Boots and my husband bought me a bottle of perfume, my choice, as a Christmas present. The sales girl gave us 6 sample fragrances-3 for men & 3 for women. I accidentally pressed 1 and my husband sprayed one to try, our lounge now smells like a tart's boudoir :laugh:

This is an example of the 'hazzards' we are currently living with

Sit down and the herd of dinosaurs descend on you!

Do you use an app to monitor storms? If so what is it please?

Russ

I don't currently use an app. The local ABC affiliate, WFAA has an app, and they have the best weather staff, IMO. But that is just local. I may get that one.

AT&T automatically alerts me to severe weather warnings on my iPhone. It is amusing when it happens while I am in a crowd, such as at the grocery store. There are iPhones screeching out alarms all over the place.

CD

Well, as I pretty much expected, the storms that started near Dallas last night got stronger as they moved East. Lots of damage, and people injured and killed. Some pretty rough stuff near ElizabethB. I hope it missed her.

CD

Well, as I pretty much expected, the storms that started near Dallas last night got stronger as they moved East. Lots of damage, and people injured and killed. Some pretty rough stuff near ElizabethB. I hope it missed her.

CD
Best wishes. Close calls everywhere.

Still trying to work out where I could go. I might just drive to the coast tomorrow for the sake of it, or sleep off the latest round off dizzy fits from the smoke. Suspect the sleeping will win.

Our local fires flared up again on Thursday when it hit 40°C here. Yesterday the smoke rolled in thickly. This morning it was actually worse. Not yet set the smoke detector off, but with the number of windows and doors now closed and holes and gaps stuffed with kitchen J cloths (big long roll of them and at least I can reuse them afterwards) we're both now joking about carbon monoxide poisoning (again... It has happened to us once before (and it's no joke we know, but humour is how we both deal with stress) with a faulty cooker that had just passed it's safety checks. The fault didn't kick in until 5 minutes in with all 4 rings going.... something the safety check in the UK didn't require to be tested! )

Anyhow, there's no source currently. But the PM 2.5 & PM 10 figures are off the chart again inside the house and outside is much worse, so much so that we've had to turn the portable air con unit (birthday present) off and seal up the window.

I do how that we get just a tiny amount of the rain forecast for this week. It would help life considerably.

The edge of caseydog's storm system clipped us, in the form of 55mph winds. Knocked the power out again overnight, for nearly five hours this time. At least it was crazy warm yesterday, so we didn't miss the heating/cooling system, and we've got a week of mild temps ahead of us now, mid-50Fs and high-40Fs for the next several days.

It makes for interesting cooking.

You think you know where they all are. Turn around to pick something up or move to the sink, respond to the timer buzzer on the fridge and the next thing you know you've just scored a home goal sending one skidding across the vinyl floor. It will pick itself up instantly and be back under your feet in an instant, unhurt and none the wiser either!

It makes for interesting cooking.

You think you know where they all are. Turn around to pick something up or move to the sink, respond to the timer buzzer on the fridge and the next thing you know you've just scored a home goal sending one skidding across the vinyl floor. It will pick itself up instantly and be back under your feet in an instant, unhurt and none the wiser either!

I would be worried about standing on one and squashing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom