The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my wife and I were dating, late 1980's, it was absolutely a "thing" to wear athletic-style sweatshirts inside-out. Lasted about a season.

In the 70s I was wearing singlets, coloured singlets. They are called beaters now. It's a kiwi thing I think. Throwback to the movie once were warriors. I'm actually wearing a black singlet now, it's summer after all. :)

Russ

In the 70s I was wearing singlets, coloured singlets. They are called beaters now. It's a kiwi thing I think. Throwback to the movie once were warriors. I'm actually wearing a black singlet now, it's summer after all. :)

Russ
For a while, those were called "wife-beaters," because whenever you'd see some lowlife on "Cops" or something similar arrested for a domestic disturbance, he'd usually be wearing one.

On this day 100 years ago, the United States of America went dry.

Does Australia still have the law that disallows purchase of alcohol twice in one day? Doesn't matter how much that you buy the first time but cannot buy any more until tomorrow.

{I was last in Australia in 2008}

The suppliers have just been to collect my stoep chair for restoration. That's me buggered for nodding off on the stoep for a few days.

With the new year, out health insurance changed the way they do rewards for healthy activities. Used to, we'd do something healthy, like get a flu shot or enroll in an online healthy habits coaching class, and we'd get money put into our spending accounts.

They've overhauled that, changed it to a points system, which in turn get redeemed for money (so they added a layer of work to get exactly the same thing), but they've added a few more healthy behaviors to earn points (to get money).

Now, it's all done through an app on your phone, and it tracks your steps and you get points just for walking around. I used to never care about exact steps before, I just walked around to get a bit of exercise, but now I'm obsessed with grabbing my phone, even if I'm just going to the kitchen and back, because now, steps=points=money.

I also downloaded a sleep tracker app and used that for the first time. I'm looking forward to that. Last night, it showed that over the seven hours and 14 minutes I was in bed, I slept for five hours and 56 minutes.

And we still have some dry counties and towns, and some of the most screwed up Sunday blue laws I've ever heard of. 😠

Do you think it's significant that Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone was born on the same date 21 years earlier?

From Wikipedia:

"Blue laws, also known as Sunday laws, are laws designed to restrict or ban some or all Sunday activities for religious or secular reasons, particularly to promote the observance of a day of worship or rest. Blue laws may also restrict shopping or ban sale of certain items on specific days, most often on Sundays in the western world. Blue laws are enforced in parts of the United States and Canada as well as some European countries, particularly in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and Norway, keeping most stores closed on Sundays."

Specifically with respect to alcohol sales, every community can be a little different regarding Sunday sales. When I lived in Minnesota, for example, all proper liquor stores were shuttered completely on Sundays, and you could buy beer/wine only from grocery stores, but the selection was absurdly small.

Where I live now...on a Sunday, I can buy all manner of beer and wine from Kroger (big brand grocery store), and they have a decent selection of both, but I can't buy beer or wine from the mom & pop shop across the street. They're restricted because...wait for it...they don't sell as much beer and wine as Kroger, so they're not allowed to sell beer and wine on Sundays...unless it's past noon...or not, depending on what township/town/county you're in. But Kroger can sell it 24/7 no matter where they are, unless they're in a dry county...except that some dry counties will let some restaurants serve, there's just no walk-away sales...except Kroger...sometimes.

Liquor/spirits...never on Sunday...unless it's below a certain alcohol content percentage.

All that means is, depending on where you live, you better have your alcohol for the Sunday big game or the family cookout bought by Saturday, or you're going to be very thirsty come Sunday.

Where I live now...on a Sunday, I can buy all manner of beer and wine from Kroger (big brand grocery store), and they have a decent selection of both, but I can't buy beer or wine from the mom & pop shop across the street.

Strangely enough it's the opposite here. Between midnight and 11 am and 2 pm and 5 pm, none of the major stores (including the 7-11 franchises) are permitted to sell alcohol (although in some cases buying in excess of 10 litres is permitted - if the cashier is capable of calculating 10 litres). Virtually all the mom and pop shops don't care and sell whenever they're open.

I also downloaded a sleep tracker app and used that for the first time. I'm looking forward to that. Last night, it showed that over the seven hours and 14 minutes I was in bed, I slept for five hours and 56 minutes.

How does that work - do you need to clutch your phone all night? :scratchhead:

With the new year, out health insurance changed the way they do rewards for healthy activities. Used to, we'd do something healthy, like get a flu shot or enroll in an online healthy habits coaching class, and we'd get money put into our spending accounts.

They've overhauled that, changed it to a points system, which in turn get redeemed for money (so they added a layer of work to get exactly the same thing), but they've added a few more healthy behaviors to earn points (to get money).

Now, it's all done through an app on your phone, and it tracks your steps and you get points just for walking around. I used to never care about exact steps before, I just walked around to get a bit of exercise, but now I'm obsessed with grabbing my phone, even if I'm just going to the kitchen and back, because now, steps=points=money.

I guess part of the health insurance you pay goes to employing people to administrate the scheme to give you a small saving 😃.

We don't have to concern ourselves with sorting our own health care, it just seems strange to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom