The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does that work - do you need to clutch your phone all night? :scratchhead:

No, you can either place it on your nightstand with the microphone pointed in your direction, and it monitors you that way, or tuck your phone under your sheet and it'll still hear you. It says it's even smart enough to ignore any ambient noise in the room, including your sleep mate, if you have one.

It even counts periods of snoring!

The other thing it'll do is wake you only when you're out of a deep sleep state. It takes a time range, like 6AM-6:30AM and if, at 6AM, you're still in deep sleep, it'll wait until you reach light sleep before sounding a gentle alarm. If you're still in a deep sleep state at 6:30AM, it'll wake you regardless.

We don't have to concern ourselves with sorting our own health care, it just seems strange to me.
Don't get me started...

No, you can either place it on your nightstand with the microphone pointed in your direction, and it monitors you that way, or tuck your phone under your sheet and it'll still hear you. It says it's even smart enough to ignore any ambient noise in the room, including your sleep mate, if you have one.

So it uses sound. I wouldn't have thought that was completely reliable as a sleep indicator.

So it uses sound. I wouldn't have thought that was completely reliable as a sleep indicator.
I have no idea how reliable it is. I'm more interested in getting the additional spending money with next to no effort, and what numbers it does report is interesting for a few minutes each morning. 😴

When my wife and I were dating, late 1980's, it was absolutely a "thing" to wear athletic-style sweatshirts inside-out. Lasted about a season.
I remember always wearing my sweatshirts inside out as an early teen and actually had a close friend (or so I thought) that wouldn't hang with me because it made me a Tom Boy... which back in the day meant I was a girl who liked things typical of a boy... Lol...

From Wikipedia:

"Blue laws, also known as Sunday laws, are laws designed to restrict or ban some or all Sunday activities for religious or secular reasons, particularly to promote the observance of a day of worship or rest. Blue laws may also restrict shopping or ban sale of certain items on specific days, most often on Sundays in the western world. Blue laws are enforced in parts of the United States and Canada as well as some European countries, particularly in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and Norway, keeping most stores closed on Sundays."

Specifically with respect to alcohol sales, every community can be a little different regarding Sunday sales. When I lived in Minnesota, for example, all proper liquor stores were shuttered completely on Sundays, and you could buy beer/wine only from grocery stores, but the selection was absurdly small.

Where I live now...on a Sunday, I can buy all manner of beer and wine from Kroger (big brand grocery store), and they have a decent selection of both, but I can't buy beer or wine from the mom & pop shop across the street. They're restricted because...wait for it...they don't sell as much beer and wine as Kroger, so they're not allowed to sell beer and wine on Sundays...unless it's past noon...or not, depending on what township/town/county you're in. But Kroger can sell it 24/7 no matter where they are, unless they're in a dry county...except that some dry counties will let some restaurants serve, there's just no walk-away sales...except Kroger...sometimes.

Liquor/spirits...never on Sunday...unless it's below a certain alcohol content percentage.

All that means is, depending on where you live, you better have your alcohol for the Sunday big game or the family cookout bought by Saturday, or you're going to be very thirsty come Sunday.

When I was a kid nz had 6pm pubs closing. Adults would go to pub and drink as much as they could and then go home and fight with their neighbours. I remember two grown men fighting on their boundaries every third night. Then as I got older it went to 10 pm closing. People were a bit more civil then. Men started taking their wives out. Now it's pubs and clubs open til 2 or 3 am.

Russ

Does it give you money if you sleep a lot? :scratchhead:
No, all I have to do is use the app. It's part of the "taking care of yourself" group of activities, like meditating, getting your finances in order, that sort of thing.

So far, picking and choosing the activities I don't mind doing, I've added $400US to my spending account. The most I can earn is $800. I'll probably get to around $600 and top out - there are some tasks I just don't want to do, like speaking with a nurse every week for over-the-phone health coaching.

And we still have some dry counties and towns, and some of the most screwed up Sunday blue laws I've ever heard of. 😠

Every town in Texas has their own laws covering alcoholic beverages, in addition to the basic state laws. One State law is that packaged liquor/spirits can only be sold at dedicated liquor stores. They must close at 9PM, and can not be open on Sundays.

Grocery stores and convenience stores can only sell beer and wine. They can not sell either after midnight, and can't sell either before noon on Sunday, when good people are in church.

The legal drinking age was 18 when I was 18, but is now 21. Growing up in Port Arthur, the only required ID to buy alcohol was a green piece of paper with the picture of a dead President on it. It is not the same in 2020.

CD

Every town in Texas has their own laws covering alcoholic beverages, in addition to the basic state laws. One State law is that packaged liquor/spirits can only be sold at dedicated liquor stores. They must close at 9PM, and can not be open on Sundays.

Grocery stores and convenience stores can only sell beer and wine. They can not sell either after midnight, and can't sell either before noon on Sunday, when good people are in church.

The legal drinking age was 18 when I was 18, but is now 21. Growing up in Port Arthur, the only required ID to buy alcohol was a green piece of paper with the picture of a dead President on it. It is not the same in 2020.

CD
When we moved back to Ohio, we went to a decently nice restaurant (bound menus on paper, no plastic, cloth napkins, etc.) - it wasn't terribly formal, but it was nice enough.

We went because they were hosting a ghost night in tandem with a local historian. We'd all have dinner, she'd talk a little about the local gruesome history, then afterwards, we'd walk around the town to some of the sites of the various misdeeds. All good fun.

We were surprised when we opened the menu to see the wine list page with a fancy red ribbon across it, and when I asked, she looked at me like I was bonkers and said, "It's Sunday!"

CD

Laws were 18 here growing up, I was and looked like I was about 20 when I was only 13 or 14. I was buying and drinking in bars at 15. With my best friend who was a bit older than me. Her name was Lorraine, nothing sexual, I just grew up with her. I'm still in touch with her even today.

Russ

With the new year, out health insurance changed the way they do rewards for healthy activities. Used to, we'd do something healthy, like get a flu shot or enroll in an online healthy habits coaching class, and we'd get money put into our spending accounts.

They've overhauled that, changed it to a points system, which in turn get redeemed for money (so they added a layer of work to get exactly the same thing), but they've added a few more healthy behaviors to earn points (to get money).

Now, it's all done through an app on your phone, and it tracks your steps and you get points just for walking around. I used to never care about exact steps before, I just walked around to get a bit of exercise, but now I'm obsessed with grabbing my phone, even if I'm just going to the kitchen and back, because now, steps=points=money.

I also downloaded a sleep tracker app and used that for the first time. I'm looking forward to that. Last night, it showed that over the seven hours and 14 minutes I was in bed, I slept for five hours and 56 minutes.

I have Strava on my phone which tells me how far I have walked, I use it even when walking to and from work because I have challenged myself to 1000km this year.

There are so many health trackers around-fitbit etc...which are great if you need them but I don't need to be told my sleep isn't good as I already know that. Won't be spending my pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom