The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's a badging difference. I'm not aware that Saab ever made a 9-5 convertible, certainly not for the UK market, just a saloon and estate model. Pretty sure the one in the picture is known here as a 9-3, and is based on GM's Vectra platform. Either way, a nice looking motor

Saab was always a marginal brand here. The only Chevy based 9-3 I remember in the US was a sedan. There was a 9-3 convertible made, but I don't recall seeing one here. it didn't look like the car Burt posted. That looks like a 9-5, although the front and rear are cut off.

But, like I said, Saab was never really successful in the US, so I don't know as much as I would, normally. The 9-3 Chevy/Saab was a disaster in the US. Saab is now a military supplier for the US military. No cars.

CD

Saab was always a marginal brand here. The only Chevy based 9-3 I remember in the US was a sedan. There was a 9-3 convertible made, but I don't recall seeing one here. it didn't look like the car Burt posted. That looks like a 9-5, although the front and rear are cut off.

But, like I said, Saab was never really successful in the US, so I don't know as much as I would, normally. The 9-3 Chevy/Saab was a disaster in the US. Saab is now a military supplier for the US military. No cars.

CD
Sadly, Saab the car maker went bust a few years ago. Older 'proper' Saab's are quite cult cars here. Set me up in a properly sorted 900 Aero convertible and I'd be a very happy chap.

Are you sure that is BHP? That's a Saab, right? A real Saab, not a Chevy Saab. It should be a 2.0 Turbo. You should be able to get well over 200 BHP from that engine with the right tune.

Sorry, I'm a car guy. I make my living as a car guy with an art degree and a good camera, basically.

CD
Standard engine, The Saab 9-3 1.8t Convertible Vectra is a 2 door convertible/cabriolet-bodied car with a front located engine powering the front wheels. Its 4 cylinder, double overhead camshaft turbocharged engine has 4 valves per cylinder and a displacement of 2 litres. It provides power and torque figures of 148 bhp (150 PS/110 kW) at 5500 rpm and 240 Nm (177 lbft/24.5 kgm) at 2000-3500 rpm respectively. A 5 speed manual gearbox transfers the power to the driven wheels. Maximum speed quoted is 205 km/h or 127 mph, officially quoted fuel consumption figures are 11.7/6.7/8.6 l/100km urban/extra-urban/combined, and carbon dioxide emissions are 206.0 g/km. My Turbo was remapped to give about 160 bhp and on the speedo in Germany she clocked 145 mph which probably was 136mph. This is a better shot of
the Saab with our relatives in the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, Saab the car maker went bust a few years ago. Older 'proper' Saab's are quite cult cars here. Set me up in a properly sorted 900 Aero convertible and I'd be a very happy chap.
I bought her for my wife from this Saab dealer in Wrexham, she rarely left the garage 8 months of the year. Hence even with the drive here she only has 61,000 miles on the clock. http://www.saab-higheroak.co.uk/

I bought her for my wife from this Saab dealer in Wrexham, she rarely left the garage 8 months of the year. Hence even with the drive here she only has 61,000 miles on the clock. http://www.saab-higheroak.co.uk/

I have owned a few Miatas (Mazda MX-5 in Yurrip). I bought one that was eight years old, and had 24,000 miles on it. It was like a new eight-year-old car. I saw it on a Chevy dealer's lot, and went in to check it out. The salesman told me it was already technically sold to a young guy. But, that buyer needed financing, and getting financing on an eight-year-old car is really hard. So, being older, and having money in the bank, I wrote the dealer a check for the car, handed it to the salesman, and told him to call me if the other guy's deal didn't go through. I left the office, and before I could get to my work truck, the salesman came running out and told me the car was mine. I felt a little bad for the kid, but not enough to keep me awake at night with that car in my garage. :wink:

I got home from work and told the wife I bought a car on my way home. She was a bit shocked, but when she first saw it, she was very happy. She loved riding with me in that car, which never left the garage in the rain. The only time it got wet was when I washed it.

CD

Ah, noon on the first Wednesday of the month. Time to enjoy the serenade of tornado sirens being tested. It sounds a whole lot better than when you hear them at 2AM during a thunderstorm. :eek:

CD

Sir John Venables-Llewelyn was my cousins BIL he had his own Bugatti and ERA, I worked on both. So I know a bit about cars also. John used to race this car for Raglan. Welsh lord who was bitten by the Bugatti bug

I love Bugattis. I've photographed a handful of them.

Bug-001.jpg

Bug-1-001.jpg

The factory even let me have one for a few days. A Continental GT Supersports. It looked good in my garage. :wink:

BentleyTD2.jpg

CD

Well now, it's getting a bit warm here. I went out to water the garden. My basil was all wrinkled up. It's okay, I gave it a big drink of water, and it will be back to normal once the sun gets lower in the sky.

It was really hot, so I did some checking... 96F today, with a heat index of 110F. It felt like 110F without a doubt. It is supposed to be that way for the weekend, too. Perfect for outdoor cooking!!!

It is almost 7PM here, so the temperature has dropped to 92F, with a heat index of 107F. What a relief!

CD

I have a rough rule of thumb. People who drive European cars like Peugeot Renault volvos etc are very odd people, and keep my distance from them. Not a lot of saabs here. Although i knew someone that had one about 30 years ago, it spent a lot of time in the mechanics workshop.

Russ

I have a rough rule of thumb. People who drive European cars like Peugeot Renault volvos etc are very odd people, and keep my distance from them. Not a lot of saabs here. Although i knew someone that had one about 30 years ago, it spent a lot of time in the mechanics workshop.

Russ

Yeah, driving an Australian car is not odd, at all. :p:

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 7.10.14 PM.png

CD

I have owned a few Miatas (Mazda MX-5 in Yurrip). I bought one that was eight years old, and had 24,000 miles on it. It was like a new eight-year-old car. I saw it on a Chevy dealer's lot, and went in to check it out. The salesman told me it was already technically sold to a young guy. But, that buyer needed financing, and getting financing on an eight-year-old car is really hard. So, being older, and having money in the bank, I wrote the dealer a check for the car, handed it to the salesman, and told him to call me if the other guy's deal didn't go through. I left the office, and before I could get to my work truck, the salesman came running out and told me the car was mine. I felt a little bad for the kid, but not enough to keep me awake at night with that car in my garage. :wink:

I got home from work and told the wife I bought a car on my way home. She was a bit shocked, but when she first saw it, she was very happy. She loved riding with me in that car, which never left the garage in the rain. The only time it got wet was when I washed it.

CD

I had a similar experience when my son was 15 and wanting his first car. He picked out a car at night when no one Was around, we went to the yard the next day, he was under instruction to not look pleased or seem eager to buy it. Took it for a drive and loved it. Sticker price was $5999 and I asked if negotiable. He offered $200 discount. I have him my business card and said ill give you $5000 cash. Guy rang me on last day of the month, needed figures I guess, we got it for 5k.
My son said he learnt a lesson that day. :)

Russ

I have that Ve commodore in a wagon, wife drives XR8 falcon AU series III. Both red.
:)

Russ
GM brought the Commodore to the US, first as the Pontiac G8. Pontiac went out of business. Then, as the Chevy SS. I never actually saw one of those in person. Nobody bought them. They were too expensive for a Chevrolet sedan. They were more expensive than a loaded Audi A4 or BMW 3-Series, and priced about the same as GM's own Cadillac CTS-V, which had a supercharged Corvette engine. Exporting Australian cars to the US just hasn't worked out.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom