The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the weather is like in other parts of the UK, but here on the east coast of Scotland, it bears little resemblance to what one might expect of a day in July. Although the strong winds have vanished, it is in no way warm or even mild. We popped out for a short walk to have a look around.

Me: Not really the sort of day for bees and butterflies to be charging around.
Catherine: More the sort of day for polar bears to be charging around.

I still find myself kicking that music around in my head. I've seen every movie ("Spaghetti Western") with Clint Eastwood numerous times.

Ennio Morricone has composed several soundtracks, not only for the 'Spaghetti Western' movies, but also for the movie 'Mission' ( with R. De Niro and J. Irons), ' Once upon a time in America", "The Untouchables", "The Pianist's Legend on the Ocean".

Had a bit of a bad day. Hot outside, and I was doing some yard work, which gave me a headache. My regular job was also a bear today (and continues to be tonight), got into a slight argument with my manager, and to top it off, someone in the family sent me a link to several videos of their kid's musical endeavors, asking me to watch them all and offer feedback.

I should elaborate: I'm not really much for the...charms of kids, and the last thing I wanted to do on an otherwise crap day is listen to some 13yo trying to rap. However, it's family, so I clicked the first one, and whether it was good or bad, I can't really say; just that I didn't care for it much, and I wasn't looking forward to the eight others that were to follow.

That's when I noticed a Jacques Pepin video in the "suggested for you" section. Nothing special, he was just making three different salads with three different dressings, eight minutes long.

Gentle voice, little tidbits about his mom and his wife, a little joke...it was so soothing just listening to him quietly go through everything, like therapy. It took all day to get my mind all out of whack, and less than 10 minutes for Pepin to put it back to rights. :)

Had a bit of a bad day. Hot outside, and I was doing some yard work, which gave me a headache. My regular job was also a bear today (and continues to be tonight), got into a slight argument with my manager, and to top it off, someone in the family sent me a link to several videos of their kid's musical endeavors, asking me to watch them all and offer feedback.

I should elaborate: I'm not really much for the...charms of kids, and the last thing I wanted to do on an otherwise crap day is listen to some 13yo trying to rap. However, it's family, so I clicked the first one, and whether it was good or bad, I can't really say; just that I didn't care for it much, and I wasn't looking forward to the eight others that were to follow.

That's when I noticed a Jacques Pepin video in the "suggested for you" section. Nothing special, he was just making three different salads with three different dressings, eight minutes long.

Gentle voice, little tidbits about his mom and his wife, a little joke...it was so soothing just listening to him quietly go through everything, like therapy. It took all day to get my mind all out of whack, and less than 10 minutes for Pepin to put it back to rights. :)

What? You ran out of beer?

CD

This is the kind of crappy crap I have to put up with for work.

I was told today that I had to be signed in and online tonight at 8PM, that another team was to do some work that affects our stuff, and at 8PM, I had to validate that our stuff was working properly.

I have access to our work order system, so at 8PM, I found their job order, but didn't see any activity listed. No worries, people frequently do the work first, then annotate the work order once they're done.

8PM...8:30PM...by 9PM, no movement, so I tracked down the manager for the work request and asked what was up.

"Oh, we're not going to be ready until 11PM."

11:15PM, still nothing, so I asked her again: "Oh, we're running late. 11:30PM, maybe 12AM..."

So here I sit...splitting headache and tired as <bleep>, and I'll be surprised if they're done before 2AM.

But here's the kicker...the system I have to validate - it's not used anymore. I'm just signing off on it as a paperwork task, but they won't let me sign off on it early.

This is the kind of crappy crap I have to put up with for work.

I was told today that I had to be signed in and online tonight at 8PM, that another team was to do some work that affects our stuff, and at 8PM, I had to validate that our stuff was working properly.

I have access to our work order system, so at 8PM, I found their job order, but didn't see any activity listed. No worries, people frequently do the work first, then annotate the work order once they're done.

8PM...8:30PM...by 9PM, no movement, so I tracked down the manager for the work request and asked what was up.

"Oh, we're not going to be ready until 11PM."

11:15PM, still nothing, so I asked her again: "Oh, we're running late. 11:30PM, maybe 12AM..."

So here I sit...splitting headache and tired as <bleep>, and I'll be surprised if they're done before 2AM.

But here's the kicker...the system I have to validate - it's not used anymore. I'm just signing off on it as a paperwork task, but they won't let me sign off on it early.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom