The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some ways I envy those who have a faith but I am never going to be one of them. As caseydog says, there is so much suffering and sheer cruelty in this world. Sadly, much of it has been perpetrated in the name of religion. My partner who has dementia (early stages) has recently started to believe in a god. He hears the birds talking to him, saying his name and believes it is god talking to him. Maybe he finds it comforting? There is nothing I can say to convince him that birds can't actually talk!

Maybe you should just let him hear the birds talking. My grandmother would ask me the same question six times in an hour. It drove my mom nuts. I told my mom to just let her keep asking, and I'll just keep answering.

CD

In my opinion atheism is a waste of time:
In my opinion religion is not a complete waste of time, it provides me with a good belly laugh on occasion.
designated, developed, filtered, repeated and interpreted by fallible men with imperfect sensory perceptions and thoughts.
The bible, designated, developed, filtered, repeated and interpreted by fallible men with imperfect sensory perceptions and thoughts.
When they´ve grown older or lost their companion or their mobility due to illness, they (not all, of course) have repented not to have risen a family to bring comfort and assistance.
In my opinion that's an incredibly selfish reason to bring children into the world.
Steam rises from my head when I hear someone complaining about noisy children or grandchildren. For God's sake
I'm amused when anyone invokes god as a means to reprimand me for freedom of thought or opinion. The only justification for reproduction is maintaining the status quo. Personally when I'm dead I doubt that I will be interested.
Nothing is certain except death.
I concur but would add, have you any proof of an afterlife?

Not married. Another thing I don't believe in! Its OK. I'm coping fine at the moment.
Marina and I only saw the need to marry as a method to outflank British immigration officials. Croatia was not in the EU then. For what this is worth my business partners sister developed alzheimer's about a year after Marina and Eileen became inseparable friends.
Towards the latter stages we would take her out in the car to visit the same places she loved to visit before her illness. We took her to the first Mill she worked in. For 30 minutes she was a teenager again and thought she was late for her shift. I found it easy to join in. In these circumstance you find who your true friends are.

^ A touching post. Btw, my husband belongs to the church but is practically an atheist. I' ve always thought he is a better person than me.

Burt, have I referred to Bible in any of my (previous) messages? Atheist, believer or something in the middle. It is a personal thing. My faith has very little to do with concepts taught by my Sunday school teacher or people showing off in white robes. I worked in a graveyard and crematorium as a teenager and noticed the hypocrisy and decay associated with the ecclesiastical institution. Not to mention the things one can read and hear about the Catholic church. Oh boy(s).
Hemulen said:
When they´ve grown older or lost their companion or their mobility due to illness, they (not all, of course) have repented not to have risen a family to bring comfort and assistance.
Burt Blank said:

In my opinion that's an incredibly selfish reason to bring children into the world.
I totally agree. Selfish needs often guide human goals and behaviour.

One study (not proof of anything).

Do you have proof of no afterlife? The self-complacency of atheists and their paternal attitude towards little believers make me smile - but it doesn´t make me feel superior in any way. Atheists mock people who refuse to think their way. Believers do the same. It is an stupid battle that has been going on for ages. It isn´t fruitful but religion evokes feelings especially in people with emotional issues, like me.

It is an atheist´s right to have his/her point of view. It´s my right to believe in God and all the supernatural experiences I´ve encountered or heard of. And no, I´m not a clairvoyant or a diagnosed nutcase. I´m just complicated and need faith to comfort me because I hurt inside. Doesn't everybody - at some point? Spiritual comfort is a very common human need and probably dates to cavemen. It is conveyed by genes and memes and probably related to brain function. That's alright, as I wrote earlier. I have absolutely no proof of anything I believe in. I just can´t rationalize the birth of matter from nothingness - so I believe that someone (God, who also appeared from nothingness 🤔) - made it happen. I can´t understand life without some kind of causality. Christianity feels most natural as I was risen in a (nominally) Christian family in a Christian society. I studied all kinds of religions and e.g. Anthroposophy but other views didn´t resonate on any level. New Age is an absolute no-no to me.

...But hi! Isn't it a lovely day. Birds-a-hummin' and sun-a-shinin'.

Last edited:
^ A touching post. Btw, my husband belongs to the church but is practically an atheist. I' ve always thought he is a better person than me.

Burt, have I referred to Bible in any of my (previous) messages? Atheist, believer or something in the middle. It is a personal thing. My faith has very little to do with concepts taught by my Sunday school teacher or people showing off in white robes. I worked in a graveyard and crematorium as a teenager and noticed the hypocrisy and decay associated with the ecclesiastical institution. Not to mention the things one can read and hear about the Catholic church. Oh boy(s).

I totally agree. Selfish needs often guide human goals and behaviour.

One study (not proof of anything).

Do you have proof of no afterlife? The self-complacency of atheists and their paternal attitude towards little believers make me smile - but it doesn´t make me feel superior in any way. Atheists mock people who refuse to think their way. Believers do the same. It is an stupid battle that has been going on for ages. It isn´t fruitful but religion evokes feelings especially in people with emotional issues, like me.

It is an atheist´s right to have his/her point of view. It´s my right to believe in God and all the supernatural experiences I´ve encountered or heard of. And no, I´m not a clairvoyant or a diagnosed nutcase. I´m just complicated and need faith to comfort me because I hurt inside. Doesn't everybody - at some point? Spiritual comfort is a very common human need and probably dates to cavemen. It is conveyed by genes and memes and probably related to brain function. That's alright, as I wrote earlier. I have absolutely no proof of anything I believe in. I just can´t rationalize the birth of matter from nothingness - so I believe that someone (God, who also appeared from nothingness 🤔) - made it happen. I can´t understand life without some kind of causality. Christianity feels most natural as I was risen in a (nominally) Christian family in a Christian society. I studied all kinds of religions and e.g. Anthroposophy but other views didn´t resonate on any level. New Age is an absolute no-no to me.

...But hi! Isn't it a lovely day. Birds-a-hummin' and sun-a-shinin'.

A very thoughtful post Hemulen.

Burt, have I referred to Bible in any of my (previous) messages?
Nope, but did I say you did. I was just parodying this rather grandiose statement of yours( In my opinion atheism is a waste of time: belief in scientific truth - designated, developed, filtered, repeated and interpreted by fallible men with imperfect sensory perceptions and thoughts.) using the bible which the majority of the christian world believes is the word of god.
The self-complacency of atheists and their paternal attitude
You have the ability to know the operation of every atheists mind. Amazing are you omnipotent ?
But hi! Isn't it a lovely day. Birds-a-hummin' and sun-a-shinin'.
In case I forget in December, seasons greetings
1601033818287.png

Burt Blank wrote:

it's a waste of my time investing my energies in anything without substantial proof
I'm always searching for new ideas (ones that haven't been proven yet).
Burt Blank wrote:

You have the ability to know the operation of every atheists mind. Amazing are you omnipotent ?
Yikes, no. I´m a megalomaniac. Can I change my opinion on atheists into "most atheists" instead of "atheists"?

Maybe you should just let him hear the birds talking. My grandmother would ask me the same question six times in an hour. It drove my mom nuts. I told my mom to just let her keep asking, and I'll just keep answering.

CD
When MrsT's mom started getting worse with her dementia, that was exactly the advice of the doctors; just play along. No amount of pointing out the truth/facts will ever land and ultimately just causes more stress in the person who's afflicted.

Good morning/afternoon/evening all :wave:

Hello! 😀

Yep. It's one thing if kids, once they've grown, want to be a caregiver, but it's another to have that thrust upon them, with no say in the matter. Probably why care facilities and nursing homes are full up with older folks and no one visiting them. 🤔

Well, MrsT just booked her first 2021 cruise for a client, so someone is hopeful about traveling next year.

BTW, I love that sashaying Jesus. You go, Jay-Jay! :)

One of the guys at work asked me if I had a good birthday, replied that I did thank you yes, another asked oh is it your birthday, replied that it was on the 12th-my 50th, young Marta replied '50? oh god jesus, that is old...yeah thanks for that :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom