The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not entirely sure what my feelings are on learning that I, as a semi-retired and very part-time writer who earns very modest amounts of money, pay more tax than the current President of the United States.

Big corporations and billionaires not paying federal income taxes is as American as apple pie. Amazon.com, General Motors, Chevron Oil, Netflix -- none of them paid federal income taxes in 2018.

You paid taxes. These corporations didn't. – Center for Public Integrity

CD

Big corporations and billionaires not paying federal income taxes is as American as apple pie. Amazon.com, General Motors, Chevron Oil, Netflix -- none of them paid federal income taxes in 2018.

You paid taxes. These corporations didn't. – Center for Public Integrity

CD
What has me laughing about that:

Go out on some of the Trump-friendly sites, and Amazon/Bezos is an ongoing punching bag, especially in the comments sections of a lot of articles. Frequent cries of how Bezos pays no taxes and he's in bed with the Chinese and oh yeah, the dirty b@stard pays no taxes!

Now that this report has made the news...all the comments about Trump are, he's just a smart businessman, taking advantage of the tax code, that's exactly the kind of guy I want running things, he's a genius at business.

The old saying about "None are so blind..." springs to mind. :laugh:

I know I am across the pond and I have not got a clue about US politics or the clown (sorry ..Pres Trump) I can't for the life of me see how he gets so many people supporting him. But then what do I know?:D

Do his brother head the UK, I think so

Last edited:
I know I am across the pond and I have not got a clue about US politics or the clown (sorry ..Pres Trump) I can't for the life of me see how he gets so many people supporting him. But then what do I know?:D

Do his brother head the UK, I think so

Well, I hate to say it, but I believe that for many of his followers, "Make America Great Again" means take us back to the 50s, when men were kings, and black people knew their place. His demographics are 88-percent white. 58-percent over 55. 43-percent over 65.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.12.00 PM.jpg

CD

Well, our Presidential candidates had their first "debate" tonight. I didn't watch, because I knew it was going to be a disaster, especially with a FOXnews moderator.

I was right. Jake tapper (CNN) described it as "a hot mess, inside a dumpster fire, inside a train wreck."

CD

Well, I hate to say it, but I believe that for many of his followers, "Make America Great Again" means take us back to the 50s, when men were kings, and black people knew their place. His demographics are 88-percent white. 58-percent over 55. 43-percent over 65.

View attachment 47301

CD
From an outsiders perspective, Americans generally seem disposed to getting quite zealous about things - politics, religion, guns, in a way that other nations seem not to. Ask a Brit about politics and you will probably get some disparaging comments about politicians in general. Ask about religion and you will a shrug and a blank look. Flags come out for Royal weddings and Armistice day, but generally the public do not engage. Brexit was probably the only exception. Does this stem from Americans level of patriotism, standing proud and singing loudly that somehow extends to the notion that you really need to get behind something, in a way that progresses eventually to partisan blindness? I'm not suggesting that this is necessarily a bad thing, in fact in the UK we often end up with unsuitable leaders purely out of apathy.

No criticisms intended, just interested in the psyche that produces these results.

I'm not entirely sure what my feelings are on learning that I, as a semi-retired and very part-time writer who earns very modest amounts of money, pay more tax than the current President of the United States.
Your paper boy prolly pays more tax than trump. Btw I watched the debate. What a shambles. Biden scored 60 trump 28.

Russ

Well, our Presidential candidates had their first "debate" tonight. I didn't watch, because I knew it was going to be a disaster, especially with a FOXnews moderator.

I was right. Jake tapper (CNN) described it as "a hot mess, inside a dumpster fire, inside a train wreck."

CD
Just watching coverage of it on our GMB news. Pretty awful.

From an outsiders perspective, Americans generally seem disposed to getting quite zealous about things - politics, religion, guns, in a way that other nations seem not to. Ask a Brit about politics and you will probably get some disparaging comments about politicians in general. Ask about religion and you will a shrug and a blank look. Flags come out for Royal weddings and Armistice day, but generally the public do not engage. Brexit was probably the only exception. Does this stem from Americans level of patriotism, standing proud and singing loudly that somehow extends to the notion that you really need to get behind something, in a way that progresses eventually to partisan blindness? I'm not suggesting that this is necessarily a bad thing, in fact in the UK we often end up with unsuitable leaders purely out of apathy.

No criticisms intended, just interested in the psyche that produces these results.

i wish I could explain it.

When something like the 9-11 attacks happened, we were very united. There was a bad guy we could all focus on.

When a big natural disaster happens, like a major hurricane, people of widespread beliefs put them aside and help one another.

But, then we go back to our corners, and get ready for the next round. It is better at some times, and worse at others. Right now, it is out of control. And right now, we have leadership that encourages that tribalism, and exploits it.

That's all I got. :(

CD

epicuric, the one thing that keeps me sane is the late night comedy talk shows. The commentary on tonight's "debate" is no exception.

Here is Trevor Noah of The Daily Show (from home and dressed casually during the Covid pandemic). I was laughing my a$$ off. :roflmao:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3NoIG6CtU4

For non-mercans, The Daily Show specializes in political satire. Trevor Noah took over the show when the legend, Jon Stewart retired. He has a British accent -- he was born and grew up in South Africa (during apartheid).

CD

Last edited:
epicuric, the one thing that keeps me sane is the late night comedy talk shows. The commentary on tonight's "debate" is no exception.

Here is Trevor Noah of The Daily Show (from home and dressed casually during the Covid pandemic). I was laughing my a$$ off. :roflmao:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3NoIG6CtU4

For non-mercans, The Daily Show specializes in political satire. Trevor Noah took over the show when the legend, Jon Stewart retired. He has a British accent -- he was born and grew up in South Africa (during apartheid).
I used to watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart when on holiday in the Caribbean. I loved it! We don't currently have a UK alternative, but Piers Morgan on GMB (morning news show) comes close. It's not satire but it pulls no punches with politicians, so much so that our Government has refused to field representatives for interview for the last six month. It makes me smile first thing in the morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom