The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I hate to say it, but I believe that for many of his followers, "Make America Great Again" means take us back to the 50s, when men were kings, and black people knew their place. His demographics are 88-percent white. 58-percent over 55. 43-percent over 65.

View attachment 47301

CD
My folks will tell you as much. They swear that "everyone" was happier when "everyone" knew their place, and that that's what wrong with the world today, the order has been upset.

Well, our Presidential candidates had their first "debate" tonight. I didn't watch, because I knew it was going to be a disaster, especially with a FOXnews moderator.

I was right. Jake tapper (CNN) described it as "a hot mess, inside a dumpster fire, inside a train wreck."

CD
I watched 30 minutes before I had to stop it. Regardless of the candidates, I can't stand to hear two people talking on top of one another, the cacophony is physically distressing, like a form of motion sickness. It's why I can't carry on a conversation if the TV is on, or have two people talking while I'm on the phone with someone else.

Trump was his usual self, just constantly talking, and being constantly reminded to be quiet. Biden had to stop and just put his head in his hands several times. Honest to god, I don't know how anyone who has to stand next to Trump for more than 15 minutes refrains from ringing his bell a time or two, but then again, that's his whole debate "strategy," to be so annoying the other guy gives up.

He largely wasn't even saying whole sentences to be disruptive, just kept blurting out things like "slowest recovery in history...so slow...slower than the world has ever known..." and "what about your son...$350 million dollars...what about that...what about that...what about that money...what about your son and that money..."

It was like watching a grown man try and debate a school bully on a playground.

My folks will tell you as much. They swear that "everyone" was happier when "everyone" knew their place, and that that's what wrong with the world today, the order has been upset.

I watched 30 minutes before I had to stop it. Regardless of the candidates, I can't stand to hear two people talking on top of one another, the cacophony is physically distressing, like a form of motion sickness. It's why I can't carry on a conversation if the TV is on, or have two people talking while I'm on the phone with someone else.

Trump was his usual self, just constantly talking, and being constantly reminded to be quiet. Biden had to stop and just put his head in his hands several times. Honest to god, I don't know how anyone who has to stand next to Trump for more than 15 minutes refrains from ringing his bell a time or two, but then again, that's his whole debate "strategy," to be so annoying the other guy gives up.

He largely wasn't even saying whole sentences to be disruptive, just kept blurting out things like "slowest recovery in history...so slow...slower than the world has ever known..." and "what about your son...$350 million dollars...what about that...what about that...what about that money...what about your son and that money..."

Why didn’t they give the production team control over his mic? Easy enough to stop him then.

Why didn’t they give the production team control over his mic? Easy enough to stop him then.
A lot of people are making the same comment. I personally hope the Trump "debates" causes an evolution in these things and that they put the candidates in soundproof booths, separated, and when their time is up, off goes the mic.

A lot of people are making the same comment. I personally hope the Trump "debates" causes an evolution in these things and that they put the candidates in soundproof booths, separated, and when their time is up, off goes the mic.

Exactly my thoughts, turn his Mike off. I did debating when I was in Jaycees, I was even an adjudicater. I wouldn't have put up with that. It was an embarrassment for anyone looking in.

Russ

Had mr 7 until 1 this arvo, he had milk n cookies at mid morning. (Not allowed at home) then I dropped him to our son in rolleston. Mr7 is staying a few nights with his cousin. Stopped at a bakery and said get whatever you want. He chose a big sausage roll and his eyes lit up when he saw the custard squares. We got one as well. He ate half the custard square on the way out there. (25 mins)
Then ate the sausage roll and said it was the best ever then "boom" young ones say it,lol. I've just got home and the pastry is all over the seat in the car, I mean everywhere. Great flakey pastry,lol.
But he enjoyed himself.

Russ

Had mr 7 until 1 this arvo, he had milk n cookies at mid morning. (Not allowed at home) then I dropped him to our son in rolleston. Mr7 is staying a few nights with his cousin. Stopped at a bakery and said get whatever you want. He chose a big sausage roll and his eyes lit up when he saw the custard squares. We got one as well. He ate half the custard square on the way out there. (25 mins)
Then ate the sausage roll and said it was the best ever then "boom" young ones say it,lol. I've just got home and the pastry is all over the seat in the car, I mean everywhere. Great flakey pastry,lol.
But he enjoyed himself.

Russ

The sole purpose of a grandparent is to spoil the grandkids rotten, and send them back to their parents. :thumbsup:

CD

A press article in the UK this morning summed up with "Don't ever try to argue with a stupid person. You will end up descending to their level, and they will beat you"

The sole purpose of a grandparent is to spoil the grandkids rotten, and send them back to their parents. :thumbsup:

CD

And we do. I remember weekends at my nanas. She spoilt me as well. He waited until my daughter left for work and it was just him and I. He looked at me and said can I have some maltesers gan gan?
Grandkids nick name for me. I said not too many, you know where they are. And he helped himself,lmao.

Russ

The first Model T Ford rolled off the assembly line in Detroit, Michigan, on this day in 1908, bringing vehicle ownership to millions of people for the first time.

The first Model T Ford rolled off the assembly line in Detroit, Michigan, on this day in 1908, bringing vehicle ownership to millions of people for the first time.

The only American car I've ever owned was a Ford (Explorer), and it was actually very good. The rare occasion i needed spare parts it was cheaper to buy on-line from the US and pay the duty than to buy from my local Ford dealer.

In undergraduate school, we had a business law professor outright tell us that it was acceptable, even advisable, to make statements in court that we knew the judge would overrule. The reasoning was "You can't make people NOT KNOW something they've heard".

My point is that I think that's how Trump operates. He gets stuck on a point and just keeps repeating it so it is bouncing around everyone's head constantly. He didn't come prepared to have an honest, open and civil debate. He came to bully Biden and ramp up his base supporters. That works for rallies, not debates. I felt really bad for Wallace. He tried his best to control the tone but it was impossible. I hope the new rules in place will work to rein in the nonsense. I'm hopeful, albeit doubtful.

Today, October 2, 2020, marks the end of Buddhist Lent, called Awk Phansa, in Thailand. Amongst other things it means a mandatory alcohol sales ban that closes bars and entertainment venues and prohibits sales of alcohol at any store or restaurant for 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom