The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do ATSEP members maintain the equipment that detected explosives on my camera bag? And, my clothes... and my hands? I almost missed my flight. :headshake:

CD :laugh:

Luckily, no.

Our line manager put his foot down some time ago as we were experiencing 'mission creep'. Upper management asking us to start maintaining other non avionics equipment around the airport.
Problem is the users don't seem to understand the concept of best endeavours.
So we've had incidents such as several lightning strikes on the airport during a storm which took out several critical items of navigation equipment and the car park. Toys were thrown out the pram because we had to prioritise returning navigational aids back to service and ignored the car park.
Our remit is solely focused on the navigational aids and I suspect most other airports are similar.

I/we would love to do some more stuff, never took an x Ray scanner apart before but it just creates bad blood when we can't jump when they say.

We actually made the Guernsey Airport Facebook and Twitter feeds.

View: https://www.facebook.com/102237903444830/posts/1339614413040500/

If anyone's interested from top and left to right.

ILS Localiser. We generate a narrow radio beam down the centre of the runway and two side lobes one of which is modulated at 90Hz the other at 150Hz. The aircraft can detect these lobes and fly between the two.

ILS Glide Path. Same as the localiser but in a vertical alignment, gives the correct angle of descent for landing.

Radar both PSR and SSR.

The flying saucer looking thing is a DVOR. We rotate a signal around 50 antennas and using this aircraft can fix their angle from the DVOR, their speed and whether they are heading to or away from the DVOR.
Stands for Doppler VHF Omni Range.

We actually made the Guernsey Airport Facebook and Twitter feeds.

View: https://www.facebook.com/102237903444830/posts/1339614413040500/

If anyone's interested from top and left to right.

ILS Localiser. We generate a narrow radio beam down the centre of the runway and two side lobes one of which is modulated at 90Hz the other at 150Hz. The aircraft can detect these lobes and fly between the two.

ILS Glide Path. Same as the localiser but in a vertical alignment, gives the correct angle of descent for landing.

Radar both PSR and SSR.

The flying saucer looking thing is a DVOR. We rotate a signal around 50 antennas and using this aircraft can fix their angle from the DVOR, their speed and whether they are heading to or away from the DVOR.
Stands for Doppler VHF Omni Range.
That is just soooo cool.

From the "What Made You Smile" thread...

I'm not sure what his aim was by making such a public show, but people are calling it " the walk of shame" so I think it backfired.

Anyway, with Trump gone, Cummings gone and Bannon completely fruitloop I hope this flirtation with far right ideas and autocratic control is coming to an end - and that makes me smile.

He's gone for you, but not for us. He continues to tear our country apart.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdWg2htgFaY

CD

CD

He's not gone at all, newspapers in our country speak of a possible coup d'etat, meaning him refusing to allow the democratic process to complete and trying to start a dictatorship. I'm really worried for you all.

He's not gone at all, newspapers in our country speak of a possible coup d'etat, meaning him refusing to allow the democratic process to complete and trying to start a dictatorship. I'm really worried for you all.

Our constitution has safeguards built in that prevent a coup d'etat, so that is not a concern. He's going to leave, but not without "burning the house down," metaphorically speaking.

The big problem is that it is going to be hard for the country to heal if he keeps firing up his core "cult-like" supporters.

CD

CD
Yep, I was out yesterday, and two towns over, I had to drive through a "Stop The Steal" demonstration - six goofballs standing out in the cold, shouting and holding signs.

Reality (of a sort) may be setting in, as they interviewed a Trump supporter on the news last night, and he acknowledged that a Biden presidency is pretty much inevitable- he just wants all the challenges to be allowed to work their way through the courts.

"After that, we'll accept it."

<Five second pause>

"We'll accept it, but we won't believe it."

About sums it up.

Yep, I was out yesterday, and two towns over, I had to drive through a "Stop The Steal" demonstration - six goofballs standing out in the cold, shouting and holding signs.

Reality (of a sort) may be setting in, as they interviewed a Trump supporter on the news last night, and he acknowledged that a Biden presidency is pretty much inevitable- he just wants all the challenges to be allowed to work their way through the courts.

"After that, we'll accept it."

<Five second pause>

"We'll accept it, but we won't believe it."

About sums it up.
I read this morning that while Trump is tapping his supporters for cash to finance the court battles, the small print in the donation pages state that only 50% of that donated will go to this process, and the rest will be used to settle the outstanding debts from the campaign. The inference in the article being that this whole court challenge thing is just a scam on the Trump loyalists to get them to pay his debts.

Note for balance: the source of this piece has not been supportive of Trump in the past.

I read this morning that while Trump is tapping his supporters for cash to finance the court battles, the small print in the donation pages state that only 50% of that donated will go to this process, and the rest will be used to settle the outstanding debts from the campaign. The inference in the article being that this whole court challenge thing is just a scam on the Trump loyalists to get them to pay his debts.

Note for balance: the source of this piece has not been supportive of Trump in the past.
Can't speak to the inference, but yes, that's correct, as far as donating to his political action committee. Sad this is, the folks donating don't care: "We just love him so much!" - that was a supporter on the news yesterday.

Someone posted this on another forum I'm on. I generally don't talk politics but I think his behavior is outrageous. We have so many other things to worry about right now. Our POTUS has to come to terms with the reality that people have followed the democratic process and he was fired.

7d3156adf93945b1d538c059dbfd010b.png

Our government imposed a 1PM curfew on weekends, which left me with no option but to spend the weekend cleaning the house. In the meantime I feel like I am slowly getting back in the swing of things. I didn't hate cooking this week and I'll be trying a new dish for dinner. And I kinda feel like reading although I don't like the book I'm currently reading. I feel less scattered and more calm. I think the funky phase is over and that's good.

Our government imposed a 1PM curfew on weekends, which left me with no option but to spend the weekend cleaning the house. In the meantime I feel like I am slowly getting back in the swing of things. I didn't hate cooking this week and I'll be trying a new dish for dinner. And I kinda feel like reading although I don't like the book I'm currently reading. I feel less scattered and more calm. I think the funky phase is over and that's good.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Funky phases are totally understandable. We all have them every now and again. 🙃

Kinda sums up how the majority of people in the US are feeling right now since our ex-president won't allow a smooth transition of power. Biden needs security briefings last week and Chump isn't cooperating. Going to make things very difficult going forward. Many of us feel calmer and less scattered since Biden won, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom