The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done! And it wasn't even difficult was it?
No, not really. I've nearly cut out my already modest alcohol consumption (down to about 18oz a week), cut my portions, limited desserts and half-portions at that, and started walking three miles a day (treadmill).

As my doc once said, "It's not rocket science, fatty - burn more calories than you eat!" :laugh:

Back in September I had a medical device implanted onto my spine called a Neuro stimulator. It's to deal with the chronic pain in my lower back. Because it is more than just an implant, it's a computer based implant that I control with a dedicated app on a dedicated iPod that connects to it via Bluetooth, I can't now use any MRI machine. It has to be a very modern, state of the art one, a 1.5 tesslar machine. Older MRI machines can not cope with the medical device without damaging either it or me. There are electrodes going from the battery and circuitry that controls it to my spine where they sit parallel to my spinal cord. Using the iPod i can also change settings and even give the device firmware updates if needed. The app has dedicated settings for airplanes, surgery and MRI machines as well as changing the settings etc.

This is the device I have. I went with the non-rechargeable battery in the end simply because had the possibility of going through an MRI machine under certain conditions. The rechargeable battery version although a smaller battery, can not yet go through an MRI machine. Proclaim™ Elite Recharge-Free SCS System | Abbott Neuromodulation

Wow. Technology today is amazing. I am so glad that you are able to have that kind of control over your pain! It took me 15 months to even get an appointment to pain management (they require you do six months of physical therapy BEFORE even getting assigned to a pain management doctor). I prefer not to take narcotics so it's nice to see someone who is willing to consider other options.

I know it's hard but, as you well know, being your own advocate goes a long way. Think of me on those days when you're ready to throw in the towel. I'll be that little cheerleader in your ear saying "You got this!" (((((((((((((((((((((Hugs (if they are okay)))))))))))))))))))).

Which one do you have? I'm toying with the idea of getting one as I use a MacBook Pro and could upload photos straight to iCloud rather than transferring from android (iPhones have great cameras as well as Samsung which I currently use).

My Samsung devices automatically sync using originally Samsung cloud but now Google's equivalent so the pictures I took on my tablet show on my phone. It happens quite quickly as well given that I'm using satellite broadband.

Wow. Technology today is amazing. I am so glad that you are able to have that kind of control over your pain! It took me 15 months to even get an appointment to pain management (they require you do six months of physical therapy BEFORE even getting assigned to a pain management doctor). I prefer not to take narcotics so it's nice to see someone who is willing to consider other options.

I know it's hard but, as you well know, being your own advocate goes a long way. Think of me on those days when you're ready to throw in the towel. I'll be that little cheerleader in your ear saying "You got this!" (((((((((((((((((((((Hugs (if they are okay)))))))))))))))))))).
I've been through the British NHS twice with chronic pain so I know what it is like.
I could wait 2 years to see my consultant through Medicare, but when we came out to Australia pay of the package wag that the healthcare was equivalent to the NHS. But we already had private healthcare through Bupa with his work so it had to be equivalent to what we had. And my back had gone after he started working for the company, so it needed to be covered. That combination didn't really exist in Australia, so they pretty much covered everything except artifical conception, (sorry I'm having a blank on what it is called). All pre-existing medical conditions were covered in full. We even get all of our medication costs back through his insurance.

When we choose to stay in Australia and he moved to an Australian contact somehow it was negotiated that we stay on the company health care but pay privately for our part. I don't know the ins and outs but I do know it is a good deal of cover. We obviously pay quite a bit for it but that was taken into account with the deal he was offered to stay on here, as were housing costs (our housing was covered whilst he was here on secondment).

So I know the pain and anguish. I had to accept strong pain meds right from the start when my back went. I wasn't coherent without them. I came out to Australia on them and was moved over to the Aussie preferred versions and once it became clear that there was permanent nerve damage and my consultant here happy that it was real and not someone trying it on, I was offered the stimulator. That was about 3 treats ago. I only picked up the courage to have even the trial last Christmas. I know no one with it and as I've come across physiotherapists I've asked questions and they have all said the same thing. The results they have seen from it have been astonishing. So after the successful trial, I was due to have the implant in May (hubby had is able fused in feb), but with my parents stranded here for 6 months, it was just not possible. Plus I need to weigh up the real possibility that I could have to have it removed prior to both hips being replaced and then put back in. It is full on spinal surgery to fit it and the device is implanted in the back as well but separately to the electrodes (think of 2mm shielded 'wire' with the last 15cm unshielded. That last section is actually intelligent.) When it is tuned after surgery they can actually control which part of the unshielded wire is used for the pulse to be delivered from on upto 3 cables per device. All 3 cables were inserted for the test device, inserted only 2 for the actual device itself because I'm on the non-rechargeable battery. There is a rechargeable battery version that is implanted closer to the skin and recharges through a pad that you ready on your skin or sit against in a similar way to electronic devices that can charge without any cables. But that can't go in an MRI (yet, it hasn't been cleared to do so even though it was built to do so). That fact was the single controlling fact in decision making because i knew i would need more MRIs in the future because just a month before I had the trial I was diagnosed with severe OA in both hips.

The device is simply another aid to controlling chronic pain in the same way that medication, weight and exercise all are. And obviously my aim is to get off the pain meds. I've done it before with my left wrist. That took 15 years in total but by that time I went off to cycle around the world which uses the wrist and fingers constantly and before 11 surgeries, my wrist was dislocating 20-30 times a day. That was all British NHS.

And remember, I'm 6 years in on this injury now. That is how long it had taken to get it though changing countries slowed things down a touch, it did also offer new opportunities. My private UK back consultant told me that Australia leads the way for spinal surgery and everything that goes with it. He was correct in that aspect.

Had to resort to blackmail today, my colleague at our other branch was panicky yesterday needed me to do something for him, I didn't have the paperwork but it did arrive today so I messaged him-I have been waiting for him to give me a simple reply for almost a month so, he gives me the info I need then I will do the job for him....he soon responded...so it does work :rolleyes:

I got to talking with my Wacky sister and food from our past Thanksgivings was brought up.
I remember mom used to make Mrs Wisbeskis Vinegar cake. Sometimes today called Wacky Cake and you are no doubt familiar with it.
My sister had the simple recipe.

In the early 1950's there was a cooking show on TV in Los Angeles hosted by Stan Chambers. Sponsored by Helms bakeries and that is a thread in itself.
Chambers later became a popular newsman in the 70's. Helms was renowned for their bakery trucks that cruised the neighborhood of Los Angeles with outstanding hot bakery goods.

Our warbride neighbor Mrs Wisbeski appeared on the show and made this cake. A big deal back then.
I remember my mom once saying the vinegar was to sour the milk.
Damfino why you'd want to sour it but I remember that.

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1⁄3 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
1⁄2 cup canola oil
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Pour into an ungreased 13x9 inch pan.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done. Cool completely; frost as desired.

My mom made a simple whipped meringue frosting.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister is retired.
Once she worked for a company but was laid off after they decided there's no future for a home and office computer and sold the technology to a Silicon Valley Firm.

She then went to work for another firm but was laid off when they felt their was no market for home television and personal video recording devices and sold the Betamax and VHS technology to Sony. Sony flipped the VHS and kept the Betamax system.

Sister then moved to Seattle and one day at lunch she mentioned these guys she knew with a coffee shop that was about to expand. She mortaged her home, looted her savings and retirement plan and invested in Starbucks.
She kinda became the 5th Beatle of the coffee industry.

Last edited:
Black Friday is a pain here. This morning going into Split fish market, the traffic was stop start for the 10 km. 1 consolation was the weather is very sunny so whilst Mrs B traded banter with assorted fish wives. I had a hot chocolate on the Riva by the Dioclestians Palace
1606478393272.png
1606478435466.png

I got to talking with my Wacky sister and food from our past Thanksgivings was brought up.
I remember mom used to make Mrs Wisbeskis Vinegar cake. Sometimes today called Wacky Cake and you are no doubt familiar with it.
My sister had the simple recipe.

In the early 1950's there was a cooking show on TV in Los Angeles hosted by Stan Chambers. Sponsored by Helms bakeries and that is a thread in itself.
Chambers later became a popular newsman in the 70's. Helms was renowned for their bakery trucks that cruised the neighborhood of Los Angeles with outstanding hot bakery goods.

Our warbride neighbor Mrs Wisbeski appeared on the show and made this cake. A big deal back then.
I remember my mom once saying the vinegar was to sour the milk.
Damfino why you'd want to sour it but I remember that.

cups all-purpose flour
    cups sugar
  • 1⁄3
    cup cocoa
    teaspoons baking soda
    teaspoon salt
    tablespoons white distilled vinegar
  • 1⁄2
    cup canola oil
    cup water
  • 1 cup milk
    tablespoon vanilla
    • Preheat oven to 350* F.
    • Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Pour into an ungreased 13x9 inch pan.
    • Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done. Cool completely; frost as desired.

• My mom made a simple whipped meringue frosting.

Vinegar can be used to make milk into buttermilk. I sometimes do that when I want buttermilk cornbread or pancakes, but can easily see why it would work for cake.

A little while ago I was dusting the shelves of my bookcase and I found in a book some papers on which were some of my notes during my first- and only- year of University, then abandoned to follow other paths. Almost thirty years later they had a certain effect on me...

Probably a regret.
Dusting is dangerous..

Probably a regret.
Dusting is dangerous..
My first school report came to light whilst clearing out a cupboard this week. I was just 5 years old. Apparently, I had made big improvements from my anti-social and aggressive attitude towards other boys :laugh: I don't remember being that way, but given that I had lived in the middle of nowhere, and my only interaction with other kids was occasional visits with cousins (of which I was the eldest) it's not that surprising.
My university degree is almost completely obsolete (I graduated before personal computers). But, I still like looking up on the wall, and seeing my Diploma.

CD

Whilst clearing out the same cupboard this week I found my similarly obsolete text books from an 18 month stint into an estate management degree. I bailed at quantity surveying - there is no diploma on my wall!

My university degree is almost completely obsolete (I graduated before personal computers). But, I still like looking up on the wall, and seeing my Diploma.

CD

I like to look at my Diploma too, but today I looked at those notes and it made me so melancholy. Also because I liked studying Law. But I was crazy, I was twenty years old and no one could stop me, I wanted to be independent and free, travel, to be an actress and then travel around Europe with musicians.
Becoming a lawyer was still too an immature idea at that time...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom