The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up at 5AM, a bit peckish, and decided to have a glass of milk and check out CB.

It is 27F right now (-3C). I would say it is certain we had our first freeze. Goodbye pollen, hello brown. Our three months of winter is here.

CD

Moving north, back to our families was healthcare mistake that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Incidentally, it is the same healthcare region that left my step father permanently disabled.
All of my medical treatment was oop north, as I said there may be mistakes. I take it for all of the problems you quoted you sued the health Authority ? No win no fee has been available in the UK since 1995 and longer in America. Medical Negligence Solicitors - Claim No Win No Fee | Irwin Mitchell

I don't believe all medical personnel is incompetent. I just don't blindly trust that they've actually read anything in my records. I have had enough bad experiences to know that I should always advocate for myself. I think everyone should. After all, who cares more about your life and health than you do?

I am glad you are okay now.
"After all, who cares more about your life and health than you do?" My wife and Doctor Tina. I tend not to bother about it. I witness the last decades of my mother and fathers life. 90% of there conversations had to do with past and future medical care. They died at the ripe old ages of 93/99 yrs. Listening to them it was a miracle they lived that long.I put my foot down at the last bye annual cancer test. I am not going to waste mine or their time again, if I have a relapse it will kill me at my age. I prefer not to live whats left of my life thinking and discussing that.

"After all, who cares more about your life and health than you do?" My wife and Doctor Tina. I tend not to bother about it. I witness the last decades of my mother and fathers life. 90% of there conversations had to do with past and future medical care. They died at the ripe old ages of 93/99 yrs. Listening to them it was a miracle they lived that long.I put my foot down at the last bye annual cancer test. I am not going to waste mine or their time again, if I have a relapse it will kill me at my age. I prefer not to live whats left of my life thinking and discussing that.

I understand your point of view. My question was rhetorical in the sense that it makes no sense to ASSUME that a doctor cares more about your health than you do. For instance, I was on a forum for expectant mothers and one of the participants posted that she was devastated by some news she received from her OB/GYN regarding her unborn baby's health. It was a serious condition and it was expected the baby wouldn't live more than a few weeks after birth. I posted some links to various organizations and support groups for the condition so the woman could find others in her position and learn more about her options. Other posters lambasted me and told me to "shut up". They even went so far as to tell her to "Don't worry about it, trust the doctor" and other such sentiments to remain uninformed and bury her head.

So, while I agree that some of us have wonderful doctors who take a sincere interest in our health and some of you have loved ones who care about our longevity, I maintain that it's myopic and potentially dangerous to BLINDLY trust any medical care provider to care MORE than we should care about ourselves (or our family member's health).

Edited to add: Further, I know people that have no clue what medications they take, the dosage or the reason they even take them. That makes no sense to me. If I'm expected to take it, I better well know why, what and how much.

Further, I know people that have no clue what medications they take, the dosage or the reason they even take them. That makes no sense to me. If I'm expected to take it, I better well know why, what and how much.
I don't my wife picks up my meds then put them in this dispenser. I just have to take them as per the container. Why should I care they have been keeping me well for several years
1606827819779.png
1606827840875.png

I understand your point of view. My question was rhetorical in the sense that it makes no sense to ASSUME that a doctor cares more about your health than you do. For instance, I was on a forum for expectant mothers and one of the participants posted that she was devastated by some news she received from her OB/GYN regarding her unborn baby's health. It was a serious condition and it was expected the baby wouldn't live more than a few weeks after birth. I posted some links to various organizations and support groups for the condition so the woman could find others in her position and learn more about her options. Other posters lambasted me and told me to "shut up". They even went so far as to tell her to "Don't worry about it, trust the doctor" and other such sentiments to remain uninformed and bury her head.

So, while I agree that some of us have wonderful doctors who take a sincere interest in our health and some of you have loved ones who care about our longevity, I maintain that it's myopic and potentially dangerous to BLINDLY trust any medical care provider to care MORE than we should care about ourselves (or our family member's health).

Edited to add: Further, I know people that have no clue what medications they take, the dosage or the reason they even take them. That makes no sense to me. If I'm expected to take it, I better well know why, what and how much.

I completely agree with you, but this is tricky. I like to stay humble and trust my doctors because they went through med school and I didn't. But I sometimes feel like questioning them, and then I question myself, "why am I questioning someone who's spent years studying the human body and how to heal it?" Well, most times I still decide to be stubborn and look for a second opinion. I am usually unattached to doctors I go to the first one available every time I need something. But I do get attached to the doctors who helped me with the conditions the others couldn't figure out, which has happened twice in my life. And those are the doctors I don't question.

I don't my wife picks up my meds then put them in this dispenser. I just have to take them as per the container. Why should I care they have been keeping me well for several years
View attachment 51665View attachment 51666

Of course. My caregiver helps me fill my medication minder also. I'm not really talking about those of us that have someone we trust there to help with the day-to-day needs (ie. appointments, medications, etc.). A doctor or nurse has X number of patients so they have to rely on records and notes. They are also human and make mistakes. The patient who is informed about their medications is in a better position to know when something is wrong. For instance, I am allergic to red dye. A pharmacy I've been going to for 20 years filled the Rx. If I was not paying attention, I could have died taking that medication. I have been hospitalized many, many times in the past ten years and I won't take medications the nurse brings to me unless they can tell me what they are and the dosage. Again, I only have to memorize MY medications. Nurses have to know and recall medications for X number of patients. Medical mistakes happen all the time. I'm not willing to BLINDLY trust that everyone does everything right all the time.

I completely agree with you, but this is tricky. I like to stay humble and trust my doctors because they went through med school and I didn't. But I sometimes feel like questioning them, and then I question myself, "why am I questioning someone who's spent years studying the human body and how to heal it?" Well, most times I still decide to be stubborn and look for a second opinion. I am usually unattached to doctors I go to the first one available every time I need something. But I do get attached to the doctors who helped me with the conditions the others couldn't figure out, which has happened twice in my life. And those are the doctors I don't question.

I understand what you're saying. I am not saying that I question EVERY doctor about every little thing. In general, doctors only take about six hours of study in pharmacology. Almost everything they know about medications comes from the pharmaceutical reps that wine and dine them to put those pamphlets in their office. There are SO many medications that are recalled because of problems learned after-the-fact. I want to reduce the personal risk by educating myself about medications, the ingredients (I have many allergies) and any contraindications. I feel that any doctor that has a problem with me being an active participant in my own healthcare is not one I want to see anyway.

I'm glad you found at least two doctors that were willing to help find the right solution for your condition(s).

P.S. I've had many wonderful doctors and some not-so-good ones and those are the ones I leave in the rearview mirror.

I am very lucky, I guess.

Coming up 72 years old and have never taken regular medication, in fact, hardly any medication at all.

Possibly it could be the result of my healthy life style and eating habits?

Of course. My caregiver helps me fill my medication minder also. I'm not really talking about those of us that have someone we trust there to help with the day-to-day needs (ie. appointments, medications, etc.). A doctor or nurse has X number of patients so they have to rely on records and notes. They are also human and make mistakes. The patient who is informed about their medications is in a better position to know when something is wrong. For instance, I am allergic to red dye. A pharmacy I've been going to for 20 years filled the Rx. If I was not paying attention, I could have died taking that medication. I have been hospitalized many, many times in the past ten years and I won't take medications the nurse brings to me unless they can tell me what they are and the dosage. Again, I only have to memorize MY medications. Nurses have to know and recall medications for X number of patients. Medical mistakes happen all the time. I'm not willing to BLINDLY trust that everyone does everything right all the time.
You're lucky you only have the dye to worry about. I'm allergic to a tablet filler. To confuse things it is made from milk and if not cleaned properly in the lab contains the protein I'm allergic to as a contaminant. But it is a milk sugar derivative and as such medical staff tell me repeatedly that I can't be allergic to it. The human body is only intolerant to it (it can be badly intolerant but it is not an allergy) , but even as a contaminant it can trigger an allergic reaction in me.

So I can't even change brands of medication or frequently try anything new (just this last week we've run into that issue). I've actually had an allergic reaction to an antihistamine tablet I on the past! Now when I go into hospital, all my meds are kept in my room except for my S8 meds which have to be locked away by law. My meds are taken out and given to me in front of me. Usually if it is an easy going nurse or one I've come to know, or they've been told at the handover, they'll just hand me the bag of meds and as they call them out, I'll pull them out, show them and put them in the container. We can whizz through the list if meds really quickly that way and they know I'm happy to taken them.

In the past I've refused drugs because I don't recognise them (wrong drug, one is pregabalin. It is often mixed with the older less effective pentagabin) or that they are not the brand I usually take. I often have an allergic reaction to the cheaper generic drugs. They are cheaper because the tablet filler isn't as high quality and is contaminated with the dairy protein I'm allergic to...

I'm not willing to BLINDLY trust that everyone does everything right all the time.
I'm not willing to let my medical need become the raison d'etre of what life I have left. I have in my opinion far more important things to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom