The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here with the anaphylaxis. But living rurally with medical help over an hour away even by helicopter, I have to be exceptionally careful. Dairy finds it's way into so much off everyday life unnecessarily. Only last month hubby came home with a tube of fresh dill because he hadn't been able to find any fresh leaves on the shelves. He didn't think to check the ingredients label because why on earth would chopped dill contain dairy? Yeah, well it did.
Like you, everything has to be checked every time. If so much as a wrapper/packaging redesign occurs, we have to re-check the ingredients. re-checkIng it only says vegetarian on the label and there are no clear non-vegan ingredients alarm bells ring.

Even the simplest of things like a jam sandwich needs the bread, the marg and the jam checking for dairy and not just in the obvious forms that clearly are dairy. Salt and vinegar crisps (or Pringles) are one we routinely find dairy in, yet smokey BBQ flavour is marked as vegan...

And like you, 1 bite is all I need to know I'm in trouble. I carry 2 epi-pens and have a 3rd in the fridge at home (for those thinking why, you actually need 6 doses of an epi-pen to treat anaphylaxis. A single dose is there to but time for paramedics to arrive and administer what's needed. They typically only but you roughly 10 minutes extra time and i live an hour from the nearest help.

The last time I went into anaphylactic shock I was actually in hospital and a doctor had prescribed a new medication for me. I'd enquired about the tablet filler to be told that there was no version of the tablet without the filler in question in it. (This was later established by the hospital pharmacist to be incorrect, it was just that they could not obtain it, however she was able to write me a script for my husband to get filled elsewhere with a version of the medication that didn't contain the filler I was allergic to). The tablet concerned was roughly 4mm in diameter and I was going onto ½ of that initially. I knew almost immediately that I was in trouble, starting with my lips tingling. I went down hill very quickly from there. Luckily the head nurse was on shift and had personally taken responsibility for watching me carefully because the only option had been take it and see what happens... that option no longer exists.

Thank you, but I think we both have more than enough to cope with as it is.

I also have numerous alarms set. 6am, 8am, 12pm, 2pm, then I get a bit of a break until 6pm, 8pm and finally 9:30pm (it really should be 10pm but I like to be in bed before them) . It's the only way to keep track of them all. Then there are the inhalers to deal with as well as nebulising.

All too familiar. People that don't go through it really don't understand. Rest assured, I do. And, I care.

I'm a complete 'head in the sand' when it comes to my health.
Morning Morning, if I feel ill I go to the Doctor,what happens next is up to them. I have complete faith in the medical profession.
My great mate Master Mariner and Cruise Boat Captain, Niko is a very tough guy both mentally and physically. His flaw is hypochondria.
18 years ago my cell rang. Steve, I need you and Marina, please fly out to Las Palmas. Why ? I have a brain tumor. Who told you the Ships doctor? No my symptoms match the internet findings, if I go to the Doctor he will have to relieve me of my duties. I was 95% certain it was a load of old bollocks, but I also new he was frightened. He had arrange with the Port Agent in Madeira ( a close friend of ours ) to get a private clinic opened on Sunday for a brain scan. I was not to tell Marina why we were going. For the 3 days from Las Palmas to Madeira I was not to say anything to anyone. His wife Marina's close friend was onboard. We made up a story that he had a business deal on Madeira and he needed my advice. When we arrived after meeting and greeting our friend, we went to his office. He gave me the combination to his safe where he put a large envelope of instructions for me. I was shocked because the facade dropped and he looked and sounded beaten.
Sunday morning Carlos came to pick us up. The gardens in the clinic were beautiful. Carlos took Niko in and I sat outside in the sun looking at the the wonderful flowers. I fell asleep to be woken by, Stevie he says I have no tumor but he refused to scan me you have to get him to scan me! I realized without that scan he would not believe this very qualified Neurologist and the worry would give him a breakdown. I sat him in the waiting room with Carlos. I explained to the Neurologist why he had to do the scan. The scan was clear.
Both of us were given hell by his wife. Me for keeping quiet and Niko for telling me before her.
1606887481772.png
1606887540960.png

Not sure what happening with the weather but the forecast is 11°C for the morning. Just one problem, it's already 11°C and it's only 9pm. It's definitely wild out there, it's cold and dropping still and slightly cloudy. Neither of us think the forecast is correct which for Australia is unusual even taking our elevated situation into account.

We'll see what the night brings but the autumnal quilt is on the bed with the summer weight one away the bottom of the bed (if it get too cold it makes a winter weight). We've locked up, closed most windows and all doors. Only the bedroom window remains open 6" for ventilation but thay may get dropped to 3" if the breeze doesn't lessen from a gale to a breeze...

Edit: it could also be a long night. My Dr started ne on a short but strong course of steroids. 50mg prednisolone on top of the 20 mg hydrocortisone that I already take which is doubled (to 40mg) at present as it is. Grrr.

It could be a long night. A cold long night as well because the electric fire is tucked up away safely in the garage for summer (wrapped up in an airtight bag to prevent too much dust from the inevitable dust storms damaging it).

Mrs B uses me as a bed warmer. Just before I retire she make me drink a hot chocolate then puts me under the duvet and rolls me around.

My hubby is the bed warmer but in summer out is the last thing I need at the start of the night. We're on the 30°C days and the 5°C first thing in the morning routine this next week. Can't wait! Tomorrow is a 10°C stay with a 30°C day forecast. But it clouds over at the weekend for a few days respite before getting warmer again...

Just thought, which thread am I in? Chat, that's ok... right bed. It's still 17°C outside. Too warm for the 9 tog quilt but the morning won't be warm enough for the 4.5 tog quilt. Grrr...

I need to get a cotton summer quilt to keep us cool.

(Burt's post originally in this thread.)
Burt Blank said :
Love it Hemmers but I'm off yeast for a few weeks. "My face skin is rather dry so I have to moisturize with Nivea daily. Mrs B thinks it is my increased yeast bread consumption."
You could try taking quality krill oil capsules (I haven't had stress-related arrhytmia, dry surface skin, headaches or fatigue since on krill oil), eating a handful of nuts per day, cleansing your face with just light apothecary's/pharmacy basic lotion instead of water and using vegetable-based oil or baby oil instead of Nivea if you need a moisturiser. Oil may shine for a while but it doesn't clog pores (and cause surface dryness and possible pimples) like some ointments/lotions do.

During my colon cancer treatments I’d ask my doctor questions and often they’d ask me “where did you hear that?” My answer: The internet.”

Brr. We had snow here last night. It's not lying in the streets, but we can see it on the hills around the town and, further away, on the line of the Pentland Hills to the south of Edinburgh.

Love it Hemmers but I'm off yeast for a few weeks. "My face skin is rather dry so I have to moisturize with Nivea daily. Mrs B thinks it is my increased yeast bread consumption."

Never heard of the link between yeast and dry skin before... except of course for fungal infections of the skin which are a sort of yeast.

Never heard of the link between yeast and dry skin before... except of course for fungal infections of the skin which are a sort of yeast.
Me neither. Unfortunately even dermatologists sometimes raise their hands or misstep in terms of skin issues. Internet stories/hearsays are seldom accurate or reliable but doctors make mistakes too. My mom was recently diagnosed with scabies (wrong diagnose) and given anti-fungal cream (wrong medication) when she visited a doctor. The doc didn't even take a closer look although it would have been necessary for proper diagnostics. The scabies diagnosis made everybody panic and "itch" (as we live in the same block of flats and visit each other almost daily). The itching wasn't caused by scabies: my mom had just minor atopic eczema - probably caused by a strong shower gel. All symptoms subsided when she saw another doctor, stopped the wrong meds and quit using the shower gel. Dry skin and/or eczema may be caused by a zillion reasons: hereditary issues, aging, washing/cleansing agents or habits, nutritional facts; high-sodium food or sugary drinks, weather, low moisture air, seborrhoea, diabetes, thyroid issues, kidney problems, psoriasis, allergy,... to name a few. Fungal diseases are most common on damp areas like armpits and toes.

(Burt's post originally in this thread.)

You could try taking quality krill oil capsules (I haven't had stress-related arrhytmia, dry surface skin, headaches or fatigue since on krill oil), eating a handful of nuts per day, cleansing your face with just light apothecary's/pharmacy basic lotion instead of water and using vegetable-based oil or baby oil instead of Nivea if you need a moisturiser. Oil may shine for a while but it doesn't clog pores (and cause surface dryness and possible pimples) like some ointments/lotions do.
Hemers why didn't you enter your Krill oil capsules inn the seafood comp? Also I would love the odd pimple, it would bring back fond memories of my post puberty era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom