The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda' favor lemon, honey and Jack Daniels for a sore throat.

CD
I'd happily do that but I'm on an antibiotic for an unrelated problem. I'm still drinking a small glass of wine at dinner because I had opened a bottle of my favorite wine and I don't want to have to toss it down the drain, but I don't want to push my luck too much.

Bernie really needs a woolly hat. Of course he's going to feel the cold leaving his head exposed like that. I might send him a Newcastle United bobble hat.
He wears a Scottish wool hat in the video I posted.

CD

Reactions: mjd
It looks like our winter in on it's way out..........

I try to avoid Amazon if possible, but there are one or two places where I get paid in Amazon vouchers, so I'm prepared to hold my nose and order the odd thing from them.

We got one such delivery yesterday and encountered a driver who was remarkably helpful. The packaging - unusually for them, as they normally overdo it to extremes - was very thin and when the driver arrived, he said he was concerned that something might have broken. He said, "Would you like to check first?" and waited until I had unpacked the box. Happily, nothing was broken, but I thought it was very decent of him. A lot of delivery drivers are happy just to dump anything on your doorstep (or indeed, a doorstep in the vague vicinity) and run away. Full marks.

(Comment on flyinglentris's post in the humor thread.)
The way that the international community carries on about condemning a US President and praising another says a lot about how important the US Presidency is internationally. It's almost like our President is your President. You just can't vote them into or out of office.

It really astounds me.

Of course, we in the USA watch out for the heads of state for Russia and China, but not in the same way.
Mocking Trump is not politics - it's justifiable humor. The US Presidency does have a big international impact. Over a million Finns (pop. 5.5 M) watched the inauguration of Joe (Joseph R.) Biden on TV. Watching the inauguration and/or feeling relieved that Biden seems to be more humane and - despite his old age - in his senses than his predecessor is not praising. Living next to an unstable former superpower (pop.145 M) it is crucial for us to have a stable Western friend (with strong European roots) across the pond - hence we're interested in everything that's going on over there. According to the publication Ancestry & Ethnicity in America, 680 000 US citizens are of Finnish background. Moreover, the US helped us crucially during WW II and has fed us with technical innovations, ideas, concepts and popular culture. Lately mainly distracting Tweets and alarming or disturbing news broadcasts have been sent from that direction.

trad.png

The tradwife meme/trend brings forth the unnatural and orchestrated bifurcation between different kinds of women. At the same time it acts as a reprise for the division of the two major parties and the general population of the US.

Every nation, every family, every person, every gender, every worldview, every party, every attitude and every value represents some shade of grey: not an absolute truth or the concept of perfection. Some people tend to advocate extremist/furthest opposite values: the darkest; deepest or lightest shades dyed-in-the-wool – sometimes with weaponry, sometimes with lies, sometimes with nepotism and sometimes by giving hazardous advice to the public. That is not acceptable. Resistance towards transition and changing worldviews or ethical and moral values and the bafflement over former minority groups getting a stronger voice is understandable. The voice of those being perplexed or feeling that their traditional lifestyle or national integrity is targeted can not be turned down either. Everyone should be heard and given a free voice – but not all should be respected.

All of the ice cream shops with home delivery in my area have closed. In the middle of a pandemic I am stuck at home with no ice cream, and unable to drink alcohol because of the antibiotic. I may go insane in the next couple of days :banghead: :roflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom