The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my brekky - a glass of water with a pinch of turmeric and few lemon drops, then a coffee with a couple of gluten-free biscuits.
Since it’s dry and almost sunny, I’m going out for a walk through the countryside with my dog Sam.
Not bad as a new lifestyle change.... but the day is long 🤞🏻

Here's the Ted I was talking about. Key takeaways:
- Women's hippocampus (the part of the brain that controls memory) is twice as large as men's :D
- Men's stress hormone is estrogen, where as estrogen for women has a totally different role
- Women are more relational and men are more focused on problem solving

The talk is really fun, he's a very entertaining speaker
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

Reactions: mjd
I thought this was so interesting, school meals around the world. I wish I had studied in Italy, this food looks really good :laugh: Revealing Photo Series Documents School Lunches Around the World
Our schools don't do school meals at all because lunchtime is never a hot meal here traditionally.
Kids and adults alike eat packed sandwiches, a piece of fruit and a drink at lunchtime. These days for adults luxury types like bagels and subs are common, but most kids still get just plain sandwiches with cheese , peanut butter or cold cuts to take to school.

I thought this was so interesting, school meals around the world. I wish I had studied in Italy, this food looks really good :laugh: Revealing Photo Series Documents School Lunches Around the World

:laugh: I clearly remember platters full of pasta (generally only with oil or butter or simple tomato sauce) as first course, then the meat ones with lots of gravy and a salad or potatoes as side. And I didn’t eat almost nothing! Oh my, my teacher was desperate with me. I only wanted a simple sandwich with prosciutto.
Then I’ve recovered during years by eating also platters :laugh:

Our schools don't do school meals at all because lunchtime is never a hot meal here traditionally.
Kids and adults alike eat packed sandwiches, a piece of fruit and a drink at lunchtime. These days for adults luxury types like bagels and subs are common, but most kids still get just plain sandwiches with cheese , peanut butter or cold cuts to take to school.
Some of my American colleagues also have the habit of eating only sandwiches for lunch. Here in Portugal lunch is usually a "big" meal, in some households people eat a full lunch and then only have soup and a bit of bread for dinner.

In the UK, there is a split between those who call a midday meal lunch and those who call it dinner. Those in the latter group call the evening meal tea. Some people use the word "supper," though to my mind supper would comprise something light later in the evening.

I'm more in the dinner-at-midday camp. After all, when I was at school, we had "dinner ladies" and we didn't call them "lunch ladies."

In the UK, there is a split between those who call a midday meal lunch and those who call it dinner. Those in the latter group call the evening meal tea. Some people use the word "supper," though to my mind supper would comprise something light later in the evening.

I'm more in the dinner-at-midday camp. After all, when I was at school, we had "dinner ladies" and we didn't call them "lunch ladies."
Yes, when I lived in the UK my MIL thought I was posh because I said lunch. She was Northern so she used dinner and tea. I started using that too, living there.

But I call it lunch now and also before moving to the UK because in the Netherlands, lunch is the word we all use. 'Middagmaal' the old word for ' midday meal' went out of fashion after the war. We got ' lunch ' from the Marshall plan. For us, lunch is a common way to say it and ' middagmaal'/or dinner would be posh instead.

Honestly, I never know when to use the words dinner or supper. I used to think dinner is the big meal you have at the end of the day, and supper is a lighter meal you eat before going to bed (something like cookies or bread with a glass of milk). And that tea as a meal always refers to the 5 o'clock tea.

The portuguese are very clear about their meals: the meal around noon/1PM is "almoço", the mid afternoon or mid morning snack is "lanche", the meal after 6PM is "jantar", if you eat something after dinner and before going to bed that is "ceia", and the names are not interchangeable in any way.

Some of my American colleagues also have the habit of eating only sandwiches for lunch. Here in Portugal lunch is usually a "big" meal, in some households people eat a full lunch and then only have soup and a bit of bread for dinner.
I eat a hot meal at lunch now, but that's because of medical reasons. It's unusual here.

I’ve always wandered what exactly “supper” stands for. I had already read it somewhere, guessing it to be a very light meal in the late evening.
Initially I thought it was more something like a snack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom