The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The outside sills in my house are brick, but I've had to replace a few in my parent's house -- four thousand square feet of shoddy construction. It's a big house with a beautiful interior, but under the skin, it's crap.

It is not a difficult job, but takes time to do it right, or you will be doing it again in a few years.

CD

Hes back to bare wood now, primer then he will rebuild. I'm pretty confident it was just a small hole or gap that got wet. I've told him to do the other one in the front.

Russ

I can't believe I have never broken a smartphone screen (I just knocked on wood).

CD
I broke my last one. I drop a lot of stuff, and I dropped my phone in my car, and it fell in exactly the right (wrong?) way to catch the passenger seat rail, and it cracked.

It still worked, but I was going to get it fixed, and MrsT said, "Let me call them," because she paid for insurance.

I forgot about it, then the next thing I knew, a guy was knocking on our door, saying he was here to fix my phone. He fixed it all up, then looked over things and said I owed him...$25. I happily paid him.

A few months later, I got a check from Verizon for something like $40, saying I'd been overcharged on my repair.

Of course, god knows how much that insurance cost. :laugh:

We seem to have a corvid outbreak around here.

Firstly, there is the new rookery development I mentioned a few weeks ago. There are at least half a dozen nests now. Secondly, a pair of magpies is nesting in a tree not too far from the bedroom window. Thirdly, a pair of jackdaws is building a nest in a chimney pot just along the street.

This is very different to when we first moved to this town twenty years ago. We saw crows, but there were no magpies at all and you only saw rooks and jackdaws on the fringes of town. All of this suggests that the population of these birds is increasing, leading to their branching out to find new territories. Most birds are in decline, so this offers a little encouragement.

So I am one of those people who confuses left with right, and today I went to the occupational doctor (in Portugal labor law makes it mandatory that your company sends you to the occupational doctor every 2 years). The nurse was checking my eyes, asking me to cover my left eye and read some letters on a poster, but I covered my right eye instead :laugh: I only noticed because my left eye sees poorly in the distance, and I was seeing too well:laugh:

My name (Melissa) is not very common here in Portugal, and a lot of people pronounce it wrong (accentuating the E, MÉlissa), but everyone is more or less able to say my name. Except the neighbor who lives across from me. The woman is probably in her 60's, and slightly cuckoo. Today she announced she can't pronounce my name and will call me "Maria" instead :roflmao: Maria's got nothing to do with my name and it's actually one of the most popular female names in Portugal, but ok, I'll take it!

Well, that didn't take long to do.

,just watched food factory, national geographic channel. They just done peanut butter.
Did you know average kid in usa before they graduate eat 1,500 pb and j Sammy's.
That's a lot.

Russ
My kid loves pb. Not every day but in periods.

When you put 1 sammy per day, that is roughly 4 years of daily intake...so from say 6-18 y old...it does not seem all that much...or did I get it wrong?

Last edited:

Let's see...wearing a tattersall shirt, sleeveless pullover, outerwear vest, walking in the meadow...I must be appearing in the latest episode of Midsomer Murders!

A quiz, then: Am I...

a. About to murder someone
b. About to be murdered by someone
c. Carrying on an illicit affair with my neighbor across the field

And the answer is...

All of the above! C'mon...it's Midsomer Murders, after all... :laugh:

View attachment 61165

Let's see...wearing a tattersall shirt, sleeveless pullover, outerwear vest, walking in the meadow...I must be appearing in the latest episode of Midsomer Murders!

A quiz, then: Am I...

a. About to murder someone
b. About to be murdered by someone
c. Carrying on an illicit affair with my neighbor across the field

And the answer is...

All of the above! C'mon...it's Midsomer Murders, after all... :laugh:
Definitely c,lol

Russ

Duck59 ..."I had something like 13 jabs before I went to work in Eritrea, plus a couple of boosters when I got there, then another few before going to Ghana and Ethiopia."

Did you ever get seriously ill while in Africa? If you don't mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom