The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, though I don't celebrate as I am not a muslim but many Indonesians are.

Blessed eid for anyone celebrating!

I spent almost 5 years in Malaysia and have many Malay and Malaysian friends. Not all of them are Muslims but the majority who are not will still take advantage.

I spent almost 5 years in Malaysia and have many Malay and Malaysian friends. Not all of them are Muslims but the majority who are not will still take advantage.

Will there be pork and booze? If so, I'm in. :okay:

CD

I have been retired for quite a number of years now so most celebrations, whatever the religion or faith, which attract a public holiday don't really affect me. I don't even celebrate my own birthday (and it's on New Year's Eve).

How sad is that?
Well, every day's a holiday when you're retired! 😬

Will there be pork and booze? If so, I'm in. :okay:

CD

There will be booze but it is unlikely that there will be pork.

I've probably posted this story before....

Back in around '95 myself and my then girlfriend accompanied Wahab (a Malay friend) to Khon Kaen in Thailand to visit his Filipino girlfriend. We arranged to meet him for breakfast and when I arrived he was eating pork sausage and bacon.

"Wahab! What are you eating?" I exclaimed.

He quoted some obscure text from the Quran which he stated said "If there is no other food available then it is acceptable to eat pork".

"Bollocks!" I said, "There is a plethora of food available here that is not pork!"

"Yes, I know", he said, "But I like bacon".

Saturday night. Cloudy, rain coming in the next few days. I thought I heard thunder, but it was fireworks. The Frisco Roughriders played tonight, and Lexus sponsored a big fireworks show after the game. There is usually a fireworks show after every Friday home game, and there was one last night, but I guess Lexus had some money to burn (pardon the pun).

CD

There will be booze but it is unlikely that there will be pork.

I've probably posted this story before....

Back in around '95 myself and my then girlfriend accompanied Wahab (a Malay friend) to Khon Kaen in Thailand to visit his Filipino girlfriend. We arranged to meet him for breakfast and when I arrived he was eating pork sausage and bacon.

"Wahab! What are you eating?" I exclaimed.

He quoted some obscure text from the Quran which he stated said "If there is no other food available then it is acceptable to eat pork".

"Bollocks!" I said, "There is a plethora of food available here that is not pork!"

"Yes, I know", he said, "But I like bacon".
When I was growing up in Leeds we had a jewish couple as neighbours. She was very observant of her faith, attending synagogue every Saturday, he, not so.
He became aware that my dad liked a bacon butty on a Sunday morning and soon began turning up supposedly for a chat but really for a couple of slices of the crispy good stuff in a roll. The best bit was that he always brought a cigar which his wife disliked so he could smoke it on his way home, firstly to cover the smell of the bacon, but also to give her something to complain about whilst not raising suspicions that he was up to something she really would be angry about.

We have two floor mounted fans. The 16" Hitari, which I use most often, packed up last week (after 15 years). My wife bought a new electronic one (Hitari) which has an "intelligent setting"; apparently adjusting the fan speed as it assesses the temperature. I haven't used that setting yet. I'd hate to discover that a fan is cleverer than I.

So cool, I am getting a mention in the new Hairy Bikers cookbook!

*Fangirling intensifies* 😍

Unsure where to post, but it was a mistake in the 800 Usd electricity bill, emailed and spoke to the power provider. They promised to send out a new calculation. Am not to pay the erred one.

Another update on my new blender. The shop agreed to exchange for a new one right out of the gate, in the first email response, the next morning.

Am still waiting for it to take place, they apologized for the delay, as having one employee to deal with exchanges. Not a problem at all, I shall wait.

The new situation is with the vacuum cleaner that stopped working. Awaiting response on my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom