The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve sold my car yesterday after 10 years of more than onorate service. I nicknamed “her” as Puccia (gravy), I’m a bit sad. However, I sold her for a very good price to a lovely couple who were amazed about how still perfect it is after 10 years. They will take care of it very well too.
Today I’m going to take my dad’s car, practically new, in perfect conditions. And it’s my dad’s 🌸

I’ve sold my car yesterday after 10 years of more than onorate service. I nicknamed “her” as Puccia (gravy), I’m a bit sad. However, I sold her for a very good price to a lovely couple who were amazed about how still perfect it is after 10 years. They will take care of it very well too.
Today I’m going to take my dad’s car, practically new, in perfect conditions. And it’s my dad’s 🌸

My MINI CS is 14 years old.

My dad has a 2018 Audi. When the time comes (He's 89 now), we'll have to hold him down and pry the keys from his hands. He drives to Kroger (grocery store) every day -- and stops by the donut shop for a "coffee." :rolleyes:

CD

My dad has a 2018 Audi. When the time comes (He's 89 now), we'll have to hold him down and pry the keys from his hands. He drives to Kroger (grocery store) every day -- and stops by the donut shop for a "coffee." :rolleyes:

CD

You are very lucky to have them that long. I've threatened my kids with the same.

Russ

CD

My dad drove a Fiat Punto, he kept drive until few days before his death the last month, he was 84 yo. Lately he drove it only from/to home/supermarket and other short rides, but he was a good driver. I’ve just got home driving his car (well, it’s mine now) and it has been such an emotional moment, of course.
However, the car is just perfect, not one I would have chosen for me if I had to buy a new one, but it’s more than ok like this. He would be happy and so I am.

Last edited:
My dad had a Fiat Punto, he kept drive until his death the last month, he was 84 yo. Lately he drove it only from/to home/supermarket and other short rides, but he was a good driver. I’ve just got home driving his car (well, it’s mine now) and it has been such an emotional moment, of course.
However, the car is just perfect, not one I would have chosen for me if I had to buy a new one, but it’s more than ok like this. He would be happy and so I am.
I had a 500 when I lived there..I took a short cut up the mountain to my house one night and drove into a hole that had been dug out by some road workers..they didn't mark it, or put up barriers...I had to climb out of the hole..the car was destroyed..went back the next moring and somebody had already stripped it of many parts..ahhh, Italy...

I had a 500 when I lived there..I took a short cut up the mountain to my house one night and drove into a hole that had been dug out by some road workers..they didn't mark it, or put up barriers...I had to climb out of the hole..the car was destroyed..went back the next moring and somebody had already stripped it of many parts..ahhh, Italy...

You had a target on your back (or better saying, on your car)
Were you expecting a piece of cake on the bonnet?

Let me introduce you to the portuguese version of the Air Force One. I think the size of the presidential plane is probably proportional to the size of the country :laugh: At least ours doubles as organ transport when it's not being used by the president.
IMG_20210610_193701.jpg

Congrats on the new car. When they first brought the 500 to America (I have one), many of us who followed the company really hoped the Punto would soon follow.

Alas, not to be... 😔

They did bring the Mazdafiat Spider (or is that Fiatzda). It's a Mazda MX-5 (Miata) with a Fiat engine. I guess the Mazda engine was too reliable. :D :whistling:

CD

I just found out that football (soccer) was not invented in England. I’m sure people have been kicking a ball in some form or other for thousands of years, but there was a version of the game that has similarities to today’s game that was around several hundred years ago:

Calcio Fiorentino - Wikipedia

cio-in-piazza-Santa-Maria-Novella-1561-62-1024x721.jpg

While this looks like an elegant Renaissance activity with men frolicking in pantaloons, it was actually incredibly violent. Henry III of France is famously quoted as saying “too small to be a real war and too cruel to be a game”, after observing a match played in his honor in Venice. Most westerners would regard the game as a combination of Rugby and mixed martial arts. In a game where head-butting, elbowing, grappling and bare knuckle boxing is allowed, it is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
I just found out that football (soccer) was not invented in England. I’m sure people have been kicking a ball in some form or other for thousands of years, but there was a version of the game that has similarities to today’s game that was around several hundred years ago:

View attachment 65156

While this looks like an elegant Renaissance activity with men frolicking in pantaloons, it was actually incredibly violent. Henry III of France is famously quoted as saying “too small to be a real war and too cruel to be a game”, after observing a match played in his honor in Venice. Most westerners would regard the game as a combination of Rugby and mixed martial arts. In a game where head-butting, elbowing, grappling and bare knuckle boxing is allowed, it is definitely not for the feint of heart.

It is still ongoing in Firenze. There is an event every year of calcio fiorentino that goes through the exact same process, and yes, it is still violent. There seems to be a lot of fans and teams and factions every year. It's a niche 'sport' of course, but regardless, I as well as many people don't like it at all.

Some good news on the work front today. We've all just been given four hours to be used for "cultural observance activities" - in recognition of Juneteenth, but to make it inclusive, it's given to everyone, and all we have to do is schedule it with our manager's approval, and they're not allowed to ask what you're actually observing, so I plan to culturally observe my German heritage next Friday by taking that half-day in the afternoon, grilling some brats, and drinking a couple of good German beers.

Additionally, effective next year, we're getting two additional days of "paid absence" days (used to be called sick time), so we used to get six days, now we'll be getting eight. These are days we use for going to docs' appointments, or when we get the sniffles, or just need a mental health day.

On top of that, starting next year, we get two weeks of paid medical leave, meant to be used in the event you or a family member need recovery time following a surgery, or anything medically-related that needs undivided attention.

We do have 12 weeks of federal family/medical leave, but that's unpaid (basically, a promise to hold your job for 12 weeks should you become ill), so even two weeks of something that's paid, in addition to paid vacation and paid absence days, is a step in the right direction.

There've been multiple times in the past where I could have used medical leave, so that'll be handy should I need it again.

View attachment 65156

While this looks like an elegant Renaissance activity with men frolicking in pantaloons, it was actually incredibly violent. Henry III of France is famously quoted as saying “too small to be a real war and too cruel to be a game”, after observing a match played in his honor in Venice. Most westerners would regard the game as a combination of Rugby and mixed martial arts. In a game where head-butting, elbowing, grappling and bare knuckle boxing is allowed, it is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I'm not saying my school was rough growing up but we did that as a sport as well. :)

Russ

I'm not saying my school was rough growing up but we did that as a sport as well. :)

Russ

We played a game as teenagers called "anything goes basketball." There were no teams, everyone against everyone. To win a game, you just needed to score ONE basket, while everyone else did whatever they could to stop you.

I came away from one game with a broken left forearm. I had to wear a cast on my arm for six weeks. :facepalm:

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom