The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good news on the work front today. We've all just been given four hours to be used for "cultural observance activities" - in recognition of Juneteenth, but to make it inclusive, it's given to everyone, and all we have to do is schedule it with our manager's approval, and they're not allowed to ask what you're actually observing, so I plan to culturally observe my German heritage next Friday by taking that half-day in the afternoon, grilling some brats, and drinking a couple of good German beers.

Sounds like a good plan. :okay:

I would like to suggest all cooks that are history buffs look at the subject of cooking by enslaved people in pre-civil war America. It is amazing the lasting effect these people had on American cooking and cuisine.

CD

I was asked to hire an 8yd skip for work, 1 company was going to charge £325.00 to drop off then collect next day, the company I chose are charging £140.00 for a whole weeks hire. It certainly pays to shop around, think we will use these again, loxa, good price, friendly and easy to deal with.

I just found out that football (soccer) was not invented in England. I’m sure people have been kicking a ball in some form or other for thousands of years, but there was a version of the game that has similarities to today’s game that was around several hundred years ago:

Calcio Fiorentino - Wikipedia

View attachment 65156

While this looks like an elegant Renaissance activity with men frolicking in pantaloons, it was actually incredibly violent. Henry III of France is famously quoted as saying “too small to be a real war and too cruel to be a game”, after observing a match played in his honor in Venice. Most westerners would regard the game as a combination of Rugby and mixed martial arts. In a game where head-butting, elbowing, grappling and bare knuckle boxing is allowed, it is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Ever since I started watching soccer Italians have been famous for playing tough, often off the rulebook limits-remember Marco Materazzi. This probably has some connections with it :speechless:

They didn't make it through the group stage in Brazil 2014 and didn't even qualified for Russia 2018. Now they are bouncing back as well as the Serie A, but its crisis has been very significant for the European football. Italy has always been really competitive and seemed to have lost this attribute.

Ever since I started watching soccer Italians have been famous for playing tough, often off the rulebook limits-remember Marco Materazzi. This probably has some connections with it :speechless:

They didn't make it through the group stage in Brazil 2014 and didn't even qualified for Russia 2018. Now they are bouncing back as well as the Serie A, but its crisis has been very significant for the European football. Italy has always been really competitive and seemed to have lost this attribute.

Many other teams play tough.

So sad. Finland plays the first match in UEFA Euro 2020 -> 2021 (the first major football tournament in its history) - and Denmark's best player Eriksen suddenly collapses, (assumably) suffers a major heart attack, gets CPR and is carried away. Everybody is in shock and the match is suspended. The national commentators are in tears and don't know what to say 😢. Our friend is at the stadium. He sent a message that Eriksen had his eyes open and held his arm on his forehead when they were carrying him out after a 10 minute resuscitation. Let's hope that he survives.

:) Good news. Eriksen has been taken to the hospital and is awake and stable. The doctors say that thanks to rapid CPR he didn't suffer any major (incidental) trauma or brain injury and may even play again in the future. They are now continuing the Denmark-Finland match (0-0). I made BBQ lamb in yogh(o)urt-citrus-garlic marinade, oven-cooked asparagus and goat cheese for our cottage tv grandstand audience.

Ever since I started watching soccer Italians have been famous for playing tough, often off the rulebook limits-remember Marco Materazzi.
I loved Materazzi. But, really, part of the challenge of playing defense is figuring out what you can get away with that the refs don’t see. I never played organized footy, but I always loved when I played defender.

The Brazilian league also plays rough. But, rough play is one thing, and what they did in this precursor to football is something that would probably result in criminal assault charges of it happened to you on the street.

We played a game as teenagers called "anything goes basketball." There were no teams, everyone against everyone. To win a game, you just needed to score ONE basket, while everyone else did whatever they could to stop you.

I came away for one game with a broken left forearm. I had to wear a cast on my arm for six weeks. :facepalm:

CD
Our game was barbadoor, one person in the middle, others had to charge through, if you got caught you went in the middle to "catch" other people. There were broken bones. And other injuries, it was banned from schools, but is making a come back now do my daughter says.

Russ

Because of Denmark's Eriksen's attack, this not the moment to be too cheerful, but Finland won yesterday's match 1-0 which is a great result for us underdogs (barely qualifying for the tournament) :). Our Slovak-born goalkeeper even tackled a penalty kick. We're facing Russia and Belgium in upcoming matches. I'm not such a big fan of soccer but my hubby is a fanatic - so I try to be.

I loved Materazzi. But, really, part of the challenge of playing defense is figuring out what you can get away with that the refs don’t see. I never played organized footy, but I always loved when I played defender.

The Brazilian league also plays rough. But, rough play is one thing, and what they did in this precursor to football is something that would probably result in criminal assault charges of it happened to you on the street.

Sorry I am not understanding very well the point about criminal assault and how football is played :scratchhead:

The competition, money, celebrity, passion are the keys when you play whatever sport professionally, I think

Sorry I am not understanding very well the point about criminal assault and how football is played :scratchhead:

The competition, money, celebrity, passion are the keys when you play whatever sport professionally, I think

I believe he was referring to some of the ancient games that came before football/soccer. Meaning, the way some of those games were played back then would be against the law today.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom