The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glorious day today - clear blue skies and glorious sunshine, crisp autumn air. A perfect day for a trip to Cambridge for lunch.

It rained yesterday here, and it was of-and-on rain today, but warm -- 75F. Tomorrow get's ugly. The high of 60F should be around 8:00AM. Downhill from there. Lots of rain, too.

I wish I could divert this weather to my many friends in California. One couple I know came within 100 yards/meters of losing their home a few days ago. They had to evacuate, but were able to return to a still standing home.

CD

Watched the news whilst having breakfast, floods and more floods, our road is closed yet again.
Be safe anyone caught up this.

Tad different here. The north of the state has major bush fires going on at the moment. 150,000 hectares (325,000 acres) gone in single fire, homes lost and people unaccounted for. It's nasty up there and up there isn't that far away (500km). The closest fire is in the Blue Mountains not fat from where one of our (now inactive) members lives Frizz1974 and less than 150km away from here. Fingers crossed that the weather is better tomorrow for the fire fighters.

We on the other hand had another day of high winds, just like the north. But we also had rain, sleet and snow, thunder, sunshine and plummeting temperatures. It's 2°C outside right now and the night isn't over. The fire stayed lit all day. I think it will be until Monday. Then it's out as quickly as possible.

I've never watched a single episode of The Great British Bake Off, but I saw something about it in the paper today and discovered that the person who won it is someone I sort-of know.

Sort-of, because I've not actually met him, but we've exchanged emails in the past. It's a chap called David Atherton and he works for VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas). I've done a few VSO stints and still have the odd bit of correspondence with them.

So there's my claim to fame by faint recognition.
I was glad he won but apparently there were loads of complaints about him.

I wasn't aware of any, what are people complaining about?
I wasn't aware of it at the time either, but apparently off-camera the girls were said to have been very upset over the result, and there was that kissy scene with his partner which some people may not have liked.

I wasn't aware of it at the time either, but apparently off-camera the girls were said to have been very upset over the result, and there was that kissy scene with his partner which some people may not have liked.

At the end of the day he was the best in a lower standard than usual series and if people don't like seeing 2 happy people kiss then that is their problem.

It rained yesterday here, and it was of-and-on rain today, but warm -- 75F. Tomorrow get's ugly. The high of 60F should be around 8:00AM. Downhill from there. Lots of rain, too.

I wish I could divert this weather to my many friends in California. One couple I know came within 100 yards/meters of losing their home a few days ago. They had to evacuate, but were able to return to a still standing home.

CD

Same with fires near satnavs joint. Bad ones in new south wales.

Russ

Grey skies but very warm, good plant growing day here. 18 deg c with high 24. Perfect!!

Russ
Darn freezing this morning 0°C and a layer of ice! Not ideal and I have to surrender my dog cage for a broody chook... means my seedlings have to move to the veg plot which is even more exposed.
Same with fires near satnavs joint. Bad ones in new south wales.

Russ
Thanks. 2 years ago the bush fires got to within 10km of us . That's ½ hr burning time from our home. Twice in the UK, we had moorland fires get to within 25m of our home. The fire brigade then (as now) were amazing. Both times we were evacuated, once for 5 days!

One thing is very certain, it's going to be a really bad fire season this year. It is already the worst in a very long time in this state and we didn't get anywhere near the rainfall that we should have done this last winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom