The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation need, please :)

Times ago I prepared Tiramisu, then wrote down the recipe, posted it, etc.
I wrote: "Tiramisu literally means 'to pull me up' ", but someone told me that it's wrong and the right meaning is ' to pick me up'...

:scratchhead:

I wrote: "Tiramisu literally means 'to pull me up' ", but someone told me that it's wrong and the right meaning is ' to pick me up'...

I've always heard it as meaning 'pick me up'. To say "pull me up" would simply mean to physically pull someone up. So if you were sitting on the floor and need help to get up, you might say to someone "can you pull me up?".

'Pick me up' can mean to physically lift someone or give someone a lift in a car. But the phrase 'pick me up' used as a noun means something which will cheer you up and/or give you energy. So, for example, you might say, "that gin and tonic was a real pick me up".

I've always heard it as meaning 'pick me up'. To say "pull me up" would simply mean to physically pull someone up. So if you were sitting on the floor and need help to get up, you might say to someone "can you pull me up?".

'Pick me up' can mean to physically lift someone or give someone a lift in a car. But the phrase 'pick me up' used as a noun means something which will cheer you up and/or give you energy. So, for example, you might say, "that gin and tonic was a real pick me up".

Oh ok, thank you so much for this, 'you real pick me up' :thumbsup:

I like the idea of a pick me up, it contains coffee which is a stimulant.

Crazy weather with hail two days ago, garden survived but a new and even worse is due here in an hour. Hail 3/4 inch 2 hours south of me, heading my way. Crazy crazy weather.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom