The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got the great news this morning that the MRI they did yesterday showed Craig has had a stroke in the PCA distribution, which is causing slurred speech and spatial orientation issues. It's apparently not too bad though at least. I told the docs either Sunday or Monday that I thought he'd had a stroke because of the way his face looked while he was sleeping the day before, but they didn't think so because his neuro exam as far as strength and cranial nerves was fairly normal. He's been bouncing back into the past as far as memory, thinks both his brothers are alive and healthy and they both died years ago with lung cancer, as well as other things/events/people/pets. I don't know whether to remind him brothers are gone or not. Guess will discuss that next time I see 1 of the docs. I was just so, I don't know what, when doc told me about stroke this a.m. even though I already suspected it. His body is still.getting rid of all the benzodiazepines he's been given, so we hope the time issue will eventually clear on its own. Hoping the hallucinations will clear as well, though they have gotten better as they are benign and not causing violent/combative behavior as they were previously.

Well, I got the great news this morning that the MRI they did yesterday showed Craig has had a stroke in the PCA distribution, which is causing slurred speech and spatial orientation issues. It's apparently not too bad though at least. I told the docs either Sunday or Monday that I thought he'd had a stroke because of the way his face looked while he was sleeping the day before, but they didn't think so because his neuro exam as far as strength and cranial nerves was fairly normal. He's been bouncing back into the past as far as memory, thinks both his brothers are alive and healthy and they both died years ago with lung cancer, as well as other things/events/people/pets. I don't know whether to remind him brothers are gone or not. Guess will discuss that next time I see 1 of the docs. I was just so, I don't know what, when doc told me about stroke this a.m. even though I already suspected it. His body is still.getting rid of all the benzodiazepines he's been given, so we hope the time issue will eventually clear on its own. Hoping the hallucinations will clear as well, though they have gotten better as they are benign and not causing violent/combative behavior as they were previously.

Well, sounds like mixed news -- but at least you know what happened! Now, the Docs and Nurses can take action on that knowledge, and you are not in the dark.

CD

Well, sounds like mixed news -- but at least you know what happened! Now, the Docs and Nurses can take action on that knowledge, and you are not in the dark.

CD
DITTO CD. A stroke is not good news but knowing what the problem is has to be a relief. I am surprised that a stroke was not considered earlier. You knew it. Keep the faith. You have lots of people rooting for you and Craig. :hug:🙏

This is good news (in some ways). I know you suspected this in the first place. At least you and the medics now know what you are dealing with. Hopefully, when all those drugs are out of his system he can start rehabilitating. We are all rooting for you both.

I'm sooooo sorry I missed this, I remember you saying he broke his leg falling over. Man that's gone bad, but try to look on the bright side, one of my customers had quite a bad stroke. I saw him a few days after, it didn't look good, but man he bounced back real quick ( I thought so) and I only ran into him the other day after 10 years. You wouldn't know he had one.
Sending hugs and prayers to you both.
Is there anything we here can do for you both?

Russ

Family here later, so I'm doing chicken Thai salad with my dressing. My wife won't order this if out as she says its bland compared to mine. First basil out of the garden, so it's simple. Busy day as carpet people coming tomorrow to do upstairs first, I'm lucky we have a large balcony with French doors upstairs. We will open them and pile the lounge furniture on the balcony. Then work backwards. I have a large sheet to protect furniture, rain is predicted but it's sheltered from the southerly. Just a lot of work shifting stuff. As long as carpenting down to ground floor tomorrow I happy. They will come back in a few weeks to do ground. This is so time consuming and annoying.

Russ

Well, I got the great news this morning that the MRI they did yesterday showed Craig has had a stroke in the PCA distribution
Thanks for the update on Craig. It sounds like you're still in the woods, but maybe you've just found the path out.

I don't know much about PCA strokes (and there's not much on the internet) and where they sit on the "stroke spectrum," but I do know when MrsT had her stroke (left brain), it was caused by a blood clot to the brain and was described by her doctors as "severe," "major," "significant," and other such alarming words like that.

Even so, she's come back about 85% physically/mentally. Treatments these days can really do wonders. She had hers in 2013, and there have been important advances since then. If she had that same stroke today, she'd be in the 98-99% recovered range.

Every stroke is different, though, and I don't know treatments for PCA strokes, but it sounds encouraging from what the docs are telling you. I'd be hanging onto that.

I'll say that MrsT did have about 24 hours where she didn't know me or any of her family or herself. She did know the dog. First thing she asked about when she woke up after treatment was, "Is Kate ok?" :)

It took her a couple of days, but when it came back, it came back pretty quickly. She did have to go through some remedial therapy to relearn how to count and do math, but it didn't take a lot of time, just a couple of weeks. Same with spelling.

Tell Craig we're asking after him and saying hello, and we're all also concerned for you as well. You all are family. Hang tough.

I can't help but wonder what the response would have been if all this had taken place in a Central or South American country. Would the US have invaded itself?
I had told Harry, he just called for his usual Sunday chat. He said just play along with his memories which should resolve themselves. He asked have they mentioned Transient ischaemic attack (TIA) ? Ask Craig if you see fit does he remember Harry Cobean and Bolas de Fraille.

I had told Harry, he just called for his usual Sunday chat. He said just play along with his memories which should resolve themselves. He asked have they mentioned Transient ischaemic attack (TIA) ? Ask Craig if you see fit does he remember Harry Cobean and Bolas de Fraille.

I asked about TIA before they did the MRI, and they said that didn't fit, but a TIA is actually a stroke, so... Craig is just having an atypical one. He has an odd fracture for a person his age and circumstances surrounding fall. He just has to be different :) I guess.

Here is the proof Mrs B has cleaning OCD. The oven self cleans perfectly, I tried it and after the cycle finished all she had to do was wipe out a little white dust with a damp sponge.
This morning as I strolled into the kitchen for a coffee and vape, I was met by the stink of spray on oven cleaner. Mrs B refused to switch the espresso machine on till she had finished her labor of love. When I objected she tweaked my left nipple in her pink marigold clad hand. I retired to the safety of the toilet. View attachment 50629
Can I borrow Mrs B? I promise I'll have my house so dirty she'll be delighted

Thanks for the update. I completely understand how it's some sort of relief to have some information as it's scarier to know something is wrong but have no idea what it is.

I know it's not easy to wonder if you should tell him about his brothers' deaths or not. I always say to err on the side of caution as (1) you can always tell him later, but you cannot take it back once said, and (2) you don't know how he will react and it could impede his progress.

Remember to take some moments for yourself and know that you're not alone. I care.

Thanks for the update on Craig. It sounds like you're still in the woods, but maybe you've just found the path out.

I don't know much about PCA strokes (and there's not much on the internet) and where they sit on the "stroke spectrum," but I do know when MrsT had her stroke (left brain), it was caused by a blood clot to the brain and was described by her doctors as "severe," "major," "significant," and other such alarming words like that.

Even so, she's come back about 85% physically/mentally. Treatments these days can really do wonders. She had hers in 2013, and there have been important advances since then. If she had that same stroke today, she'd be in the 98-99% recovered range.

Every stroke is different, though, and I don't know treatments for PCA strokes, but it sounds encouraging from what the docs are telling you. I'd be hanging onto that.

I'll say that MrsT did have about 24 hours where she didn't know me or any of her family or herself. She did know the dog. First thing she asked about when she woke up after treatment was, "Is Kate ok?" :)

It took her a couple of days, but when it came back, it came back pretty quickly. She did have to go through some remedial therapy to relearn how to count and do math, but it didn't take a lot of time, just a couple of weeks. Same with spelling.

Tell Craig we're asking after him and saying hello, and we're all also concerned for you as well. You all are family. Hang tough.

X2 plus you just confirmed positive outcome for Craig n medtran, Karen? I havnt had a lot of experience with strokes and outcomes other than my customer/ friend.
More hugs n prayers.

Russ

Karen please continue to keep us updated on Craig's condition. You have a net work of friends who really care about you and Craig. My sorrow is that we are so far from you and can not provide you with tangible help.
Stay strong. Take care of yourself.
You always have a place to rant and rave when you need to.
Love to you and Craig. Do you let him know about the concern of his forum friends? Does it register with him?
Doesn't matter. Our friendship and concern is real.

He is not really in present now. He thinks our dogs are the ones we had before the ones we have now.

I am so angry. He apparently had a bad night Saturday and they called in a different psychiatrist in the middle of the night, who put him back on Ativan/benzodiazepines which I and his other docs, including regular psych, don't want him on anymore due to the way they effect him, as well as way upped another med. Gen doc came in and told me about it yesterday a.m. He stopped the Ativan immediately and said he was going to note again in chart. However, that requires someone actually reading the chart. I'm thinking about putting a sign up in his room. I've got to get the other med issue taken care of today because I didn't notice it until I was looking at his med list last night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom