The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A break before keep on working. I foresee a dinner in front of my laptop. That’s ok after all because it doesn’t happen often. The only thing I’m a bit worried about is the zoom call at 9pm because it will be entirely in English. Oh my, I hope I can cope with that.
I am sure you'll be great darling :hug:

I am not used to ask every minute “ sorry, I can’t get it” (so annoying)
Every company has its own culture, and at mine, you're not earning your money unless you do three things at once, so here's how every single meeting goes:

"...and so, by Q3, we'll be ahead of the projected gains. Stephen, how does that position us in Canada markets for Q4?"

"I'm sorry, I was reading email, could you repeat the question?"

"How do the Q3 gains position us in Canada for Q4?"

"Oh, Margaret actually has better numbers on that. Margaret?"

"What was that? Can someone ask that again? I was working on my vulnerabilities study worksheet."

"The question was how the Q3 numbers impact Q4 Canada projections."

"Hold on...let me find that...uh...we should be about where we expect to be, barring any downward pressure in international commodities overall. But that's more Raj's wheelhouse than mine."

"Right. Raj, any signs of that?"

"Say again, please? I have another meeting I'm following on my phone, as well as this one."

It's just a constant variation of "could you repeat that, because I'm obviously not listening" and makes a 30 minute meeting last two hours.

They are like stray cats. If you keep feeding them, they will keep coming back. :facepalm:

CD

Lol. It's 9.25 am here, they arrived at 8 am, I already had the jug on as I have noted they they start the day with a "cuppa" although the boss doesn't like earl grey. Prefers English breakfast, ( he's a Brit) shortbread left out for them as well. They worked for an hour and are now on their second break. They know where everything is in the house. They even asked if I wanted another cuppa?
When I worked I never took breaks. Not 40 min breaks, I should have been a painter?

Russ

I was just watching Jimmy Kimmel Live on YouTube. A little girl in California found a way to get out of Zoom online school. She just intentionally entered the wrong password enough times that she got locked out. It took two weeks for the adults to figure out what she did.

Sooooo, got some Zoom meetings coming up? :wink:

CD

Every company has its own culture, and at mine, you're not earning your money unless you do three things at once, so here's how every single meeting goes:

"...and so, by Q3, we'll be ahead of the projected gains. Stephen, how does that position us in Canada markets for Q4?"

"I'm sorry, I was reading email, could you repeat the question?"

"How do the Q3 gains position us in Canada for Q4?"

"Oh, Margaret actually has better numbers on that. Margaret?"

"What was that? Can someone ask that again? I was working on my vulnerabilities study worksheet."

"The question was how the Q3 numbers impact Q4 Canada projections."

"Hold on...let me find that...uh...we should be about where we expect to be, barring any downward pressure in international commodities overall. But that's more Raj's wheelhouse than mine."

"Right. Raj, any signs of that?"

"Say again, please? I have another meeting I'm following on my phone, as well as this one."

It's just a constant variation of "could you repeat that, because I'm obviously not listening" and makes a 30 minute meeting last two hours.

That sounds familiar. Throw in, "Sorry...I didn't realize I was double-muted" plus the occasional sounds of dogs barking, and we could be attending the same meetings.

Done! Oh my God, I was good. Not perfect at all, but hey, I got them and mostly they understood me.
I was so worried, but both me and my colleague have managed a good zoom call with Americans. Apart at the beginning where I forgot to turn off the main light in my living room and it gave me a lights from Brodway effect on my face :laugh:..well, better than my usual 'wrapped into flames' one.
I've kindly asked a couple of times to repeat and doing slowly, then I have been able to go ahead with the meeting.

I have to celebrate with a chocolate bar. I have to!

Last edited:
I used to become very nervous when I had to talk in english. I was a member of english speaking forums since I was a teen so I was very used to writing but not talking, and my pronunciation was terrible. Nowadays it's my bread and butter, I speak english everyday, mostly with colleagues from the US but in the past I've worked with Japanese, Singaporeans, people from the UK, Australians, etc etc. My pronunciation is still not the best and when I'm tired I sound like I'm talking with my mouth full of food.

My work is recruitment, and I do a lot of interviews. I once had to interview someone who was Scottish. I swear I couldn't understand 80% of what that person said. The bits I understood seemed good and after a couple more interviews we hired the person.

I used to become very nervous when I had to talk in english. I was a member of english speaking forums since I was a teen so I was very used to writing but not talking, and my pronunciation was terrible. Nowadays it's my bread and butter, I speak english everyday, mostly with colleagues from the US but in the past I've worked with Japanese, Singaporeans, people from the UK, Australians, etc etc. My pronunciation is still not the best and when I'm tired I sound like I'm talking with my mouth full of food.

My work is recruitment, and I do a lot of interviews. I once had to interview someone who was Scottish. I swear I couldn't understand 80% of what that person said. The bits I understood seemed good and after a couple more interviews we hired the person.

My problem is more mental, I mean that I am basically an unsure person, too much worried about doing poor shows. Added to my shyness is not always easy to manage. But as soon as I’m in the game, I feel better and in the mood “here and now” and start to talk in English easily with good results.
My colleague yesterday, after the zoom call’s finished, said “hey, you were good! Stop thinking the contrary.”
I follow BBC Learning English about the pronunciation and a guy on Instagram who is very nice, I like his style and I can get in touch with him asking things. I have probably just to realise that I am not perfect, but not even so bad.

My problem is more mental, I mean that I am basically an unsure person, too much worried about doing poor shows. Added to my shyness is not always easy to manage. But as soon as I’m in the game, I feel better and in the mood “here and now” and start to talk in English easily with good results.
My colleague yesterday, after the zoom call’s finished, said “hey, you were good! Stop thinking the contrary.”
I follow BBC Learning English about the pronunciation and a guy on Instagram who is very nice, I like his style and I can get in touch with him asking things. I have probably just to realise that I am not perfect, but not even so bad.
I'm sure your English is better than their Italian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom