The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The link does not open.
I am lost. What is coming?

Cicadas are often called locusts -- although they are not really. Some types only come out every 17 years, all at the same time. That's what Tasty is referring to. The ones we have here in North Texas are not like that -- I hear them pretty much every year. They are loud.

CD

Cicadas are often called locusts -- although they are not really. Some types only come out every 17 years, all at the same time. That's what Tasty is referring to. The ones we have here in North Texas are not like that -- I hear them pretty much every year. They are loud.

CD
Ours are probably the hibernating variety. It must be five or six years since I heard the cacophony of sound from them. They can even overshadow the mating calls of the toads at times.

I am not entirely certain of just how many current, future and potential sleaze/cronyism inquiries we have in the UK at present. The number is believed to be roughly 14,392. However, the government has helpfully set out the basic rules:

1) Anything that exonerates the prime minister will be published.
2) Anything that criticises the prime minister will go straight to the nearest shredder.

As the Boomtown Rats sang, "Banana republic, septic isle..."

Thanks for the assist on the cicadas, caseydog!

Yep, we get the ones that live underground for 17 years, burrow out for some loving, lay their eggs, and die. Some feel they're a biblical-style plague, others love the sheer curiosity of it. I'm in the latter group.

When they start singing...they're LOUD! They also get on everything, they're big, and when you mow the grass, they pick up the vibration of the lawnmower and swoop in all over you. Anything that vibrates, they think is a mating signal.

My brother send me a video of his yard, and it's positively covered in little burrows and dirt chimneys, so they're making their way out. Shouldn't be long now.

And yes...some people eat them!

CD
Thank you.

Thanks for the assist on the cicadas, caseydog!

Yep, we get the ones that live underground for 17 years, burrow out for some loving, lay their eggs, and die. Some feel they're a biblical-style plague, others love the sheer curiosity of it. I'm in the latter group.

When they start singing...they're LOUD! They also get on everything, they're big, and when you mow the grass, they pick up the vibration of the lawnmower and swoop in all over you. Anything that vibrates, they think is a mating signal.

My brother send me a video of his yard, and it's positively covered in little burrows and dirt chimneys, so they're making their way out. Shouldn't be long now.

And yes...some people eat them!
Oh wow. I assume they are not dangerous, just somewhat annoying...do they ruin crop?

Oh wow. I assume they are not dangerous, just somewhat annoying...do they ruin crop?
They're an annoyance. They aren't really destructive. You'd think they'd be, but they aren't.

It's all over the news here right now, much anticipation, and they had a local insectologist or whatever he's called on the news, and someone new to the area asked if they're dangerous to his plants/shrubs/trees, and his glib answer was, "If they hurt anything like that, we wouldn't have any trees today." :laugh:

Anglers swear they're the best fishing bait, but that's probably just legend.

They're an annoyance. They aren't really destructive. You'd think they'd be, but they aren't.

It's all over the news here right now, much anticipation, and they had a local insectologist or whatever he's called on the news, and someone new to the area asked if they're dangerous to his plants/shrubs/trees, and his glib answer was, "If they hurt anything like that, we wouldn't have any trees today." :laugh:

Anglers swear they're the best fishing bait, but that's probably just legend.
Well that is good news.
I remember reading about swarms of, guess grasshoppers, that ruin crops and leave famine...in Africa I think🤔
But these are different insects...

Snow a couple of weeks ago...80F temps a couple of days ago...frost expected tonight...near 80F called for on Sunday. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'd like to blame it on global warming, but...it's just springtime in Ohio.

Waiting on it to warm up so I can start painting the garage. We have cicadas here every summer,an old mate lives in cicada place, a col de sac not far from me.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom