The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Labor Day (no "U") in the US will be September 6 this year. It is commonly considered "the end of summer" up North. It's the month when temperatures are only in the 90s down South.

CD
Wow. Thank you. That is interesting. Is it the same Labor day as May 1st elsewhere?

Wow. Thank you. That is interesting. Is it the same Labor day as May 1st elsewhere?

I don't know. In the US, Labor Day is an official holiday, always on a Monday, so it is a three-day weekend. It was created to celebrate the labor movement in the US, but is now a day that everyone takes the day off, except for the laborers working for minimum wage at the stores and restaurants.

CD

I don't know. In the US, Labor Day is an official holiday, always on a Monday, so it is a three-day weekend. It was created to celebrate the labor movement in the US, but is now a day that everyone takes the day off, except for the laborers working for minimum wage at the stores and restaurants.

CD
Yes, I feel for them.
Just researched, it is. Some countries chose other dates.

Yes, it is an official holiday here too.

It was on a Saturday yesterday(fixed date), generally shops worked shorter, but some were closed.

It is officially a day off, but it seems stores and cafes can decide.

It usually means day trip or bbq...there was a tradition in my city to share free beans&sausage stew (charity of the city council) in big city parks. Lines were huge.
With Covid none this year.

1st May here (or this year 3rd as 1st is a Saturday) is a public holiday.

1619938804513.png

1st May here (or this year 3rd as 1st is a Saturday) is a public holiday.

Don't think I'd like to go that far, but there are far too many Americans working 40-plus hours a week, and living in poverty. If you work two jobs in the US, earning the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, you may still be homeless.

On the "positive" side, I get "guaranteed" low prices at Walmart. The largest group of people receiving federal food stamps and housing assistance in the US are not bums, they are employed by Walmart.

The owners of Walmart, the Walton family, have a combined net worth of over 240-BILLION dollars. Covid was actually a GOOD thing for the Waltons. They gained $40.7 billion since the start of the pandemic—26 times the total amount of pandemic hazard pay Walmart will have provided its more than 1.5 million associates by the end of 2020.

CD

We have today off work, Monday Bank Holiday.
We were supposed to go to the pub this evening for the comedy, pubs are all closed because very bad weather has been forecast, already been raing heavy and supposed to get worse. Never mind, we will get a refund and 2 comedians have agreed to come back at a later date.

When I lived in Oxford, I took part in one curious May Day tradition. Many pubs would open at six in the morning, just on that day. This, I thought, was something I should try once. I got up at about five o'clock and went into town to meet a few friends. We arranged to meet in a pub called the Wheatsheaf at six, when it opened. It is, let's say, a rather strange experience drinking beer when you've only just got up.

We ended up going to about four different pubs. Part of this was to avoid the loud, braying Hooray Henry types who were characterised by not only their loudness, but their insistence on drinking only expensive champagne and their contempt for the plebeian oiks that had the temerity to live in Oxford. So, yes, it's possible that there were future prime ministers and cabinet members among them...

When I lived in Oxford, I took part in one curious May Day tradition. Many pubs would open at six in the morning, just on that day. This, I thought, was something I should try once. I got up at about five o'clock and went into town to meet a few friends. We arranged to meet in a pub called the Wheatsheaf at six, when it opened. It is, let's say, a rather strange experience drinking beer when you've only just got up.

We ended up going to about four different pubs. Part of this was to avoid the loud, braying Hooray Henry types who were characterised by not only their loudness, but their insistence on drinking only expensive champagne and their contempt for the plebeian oiks that had the temerity to live in Oxford. So, yes, it's possible that there were future prime ministers and cabinet members among them...
Are you saying that you've never had a pint at 5am in the Spoons at the airport like everyone else? :highfive:

Are you saying that you've never had a pint at 5am in the Spoons at the airport like everyone else? :highfive:

Back in the late 90s there was a Mike Tyson fight scheduled for early morning (7 a.m. in Kuala Lumpur) and some rogue had persuaded me, after a heavy Saturday night, to attend the screening in the Shangri-La Hotel "Pub". Obviously, being a pub, it was serving beer and I joined the throng and ordered one. I can't remember ever previously having a beer within an hour of waking up. The actual Mike Tyson fight didn't get underway until 11 am and by that time I had nodded off and had had another three hours sleep.

I don't even like boxing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom