The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a similar one in the sitting room, but the lower half is drawers. I'm trying hard to get away from open shelves of any kind anywhere in the house because Australia (much like Portugal and Spain I guess) is very dusty 3 seasons of the year.

Mind you right now we're under water again and the local lake nearly has water in it. Lol.
It's become a standard point of amusement to guess if it has more or less water in it than the last time we went passed. Yesterday definitely qualified as having more water in it. We had another 50mm of rain on Saturday on top of the soaking recently.

(The water should reach the bottom on the picture. This is the most it has had in it for a long time and the lake has no natural exit for water to flow out of.)

The newly graded road (repaired just last week) has been washed away in places again. They'll have to come back and repair it when it's actually safe to bring heavy machinery back along a washed away sodden dirty road again.

We have a similar one in the sitting room, but the lower half is drawers. I'm trying hard to get away from open shelves of any kind anywhere in the house because Australia (much like Portugal and Spain I guess) is very dusty 3 seasons of the year.
Same. I love my knickknacks but I hate dusting! :laugh:

MrsT is going to Florida, flying out Saturday afternoon. It'll take most of the day to get her up to the airport, off the ground, and me to get back home.

I was really, really looking forward to Sunday completely on my own, 100% TastyTime...and I just found out I have to work Saturday night and most of the day Sunday.

🤬 work and the 🤬 horse it 🤬 rode in on. 🤬!

Right, the sun is just starting to brighten the dense low cloud. It's 5°C, up 1°C from 6am and I think that's the cue to get dressed and start gardening before it gets too warm and the pesky ants get too active... we've been on this weather system all week, so day 4 of starting in defense freezing 'fog' (aka low cloud given we're at 860m) with it burning off by 9am or so... trading a woolly hat for a sun hat...

MrsT is going to Florida, flying out Saturday afternoon. It'll take most of the day to get her up to the airport, off the ground, and me to get back home.

I was really, really looking forward to Sunday completely on my own, 100% TastyTime...and I just found out I have to work Saturday night and most of the day Sunday.

This is why I don't do "on call support work' anymore... and why i don't run my own IT support company anymore either (I used to run my own company on the side, work knew because most of them used me for their home computer support out of hours! There were very few of the senior staff whose home systems I hadn't worked on).

Sundays here are always "dog time." 🐶

CD

Sundays here are always "dog time." 🐶

CD
My Sunday was going to be pizza, beer, and 1970's Euro-horror movies, but now it'll likely be adding disk space and backing up and restoring databases, and getting yelled at all day that none of it is happening fast enough.

Truth is, I won't be doing any of the actual work. I'll have to fill out requests for other people to do the work, and when they don't do it fast enough or right the first time, I'll get yelled at, and then I'll be expected to go yell at the people who're actually doing the work, which I refuse to do, because I don't yell at people as a general rule, then I'll get yelled at for not yelling at those people...😒

This is why I don't do "on call support work' anymore... and why i don't run my own IT support company anymore either (I used to run my own company on the side, work knew because most of them used me for their home computer support out of hours! There were very few of the senior staff whose home systems I hadn't worked on).
You know how when you work in IT, you're suddenly your family's personal IT consultant? Except for my and my wife's parents, I've always refused to do that. The last thing I want to do after spending all day working a job I don't particularly care for is work on something I don't particularly care for.

I woke up with the alarm clock at 6 am today. For work. But it was rather the stress. Normally I would happily let myself sleep off until 6.30 or so...if it was one of those lucky nights when I Could sleep and not wake up 4 times...will see if I can readjust the schedule.
Good news, train is on time. And I am feeling ok.

For many years when I was working on site the start time was 0600 (in the summer). Even though I was not getting to bed until 2200/2300 I had virtually no problem getting up (with the assistance of an alarm) at 0530. Albeit that I was much younger then I still wake at 0500 - 0600 (without the alarm). I suppose that the ambient temperatures here make it easier to get out of bed.

We are sitting outside on the day bed watching the storm, thunder, dark clouds, rain and do far 1 flash of lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom